Tune-up questions, spark plugs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Tune-up questions, spark plugs in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I am planning to get a tune-up soon. A guy at Advanced Auto Parts recommends AC-Delco Iranium plugs for ...
    93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Tune-up questions, spark plugs

Hi,

I am planning to get a tune-up soon. A guy at Advanced Auto Parts recommends AC-Delco Iranium plugs for my 4.9L, but the mechanic I might go to says AC-Delco Platinum plugs are better. Also, the shop suggests cleaning my fuel injection system, even though I normally run Premium octane and put injector cleaner in every so often. My last two tanks of gas have been mid-grade, however. Is that likely to foul my injectors? And what about a K&N air filter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: Tune-up questions, spark plugs

Any AC Delco plugs are fine. I'd go with the platinum because they're reasonably priced. I believe the iridiums are more expensive, and you really won't see much of a difference.

Even the AC Delco regular plugs are great for under $2 a piece, but your car came with platinums, so I'd put those in there.

Running mid-grade won't clog the injectors, but it could harm your motor if you hear pinging. The 4.9L engines have no knock sensors (unlike many other modern motors), so you're best to fill it with premium.

An injector service is fine, but I wouldn't say that you absolutely need it.

Okay, so it's a maybe on the injector cleaners. Now, what does this pinging sound like? I haven't heard any unusual sounds out of my motor of late, but I'm not exactly sure what to listen for.

By the way, thanks for the fast response. Also, what about the K&N filter?

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

If your car runs good do not mess with engine unless you want to make your mechanics happy.
    Iranium plugs... still better than Uranium ones. LOL

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC View Post
    Okay, so it's a maybe on the injector cleaners. Now, what does this pinging sound like? I haven't heard any unusual sounds out of my motor of late, but I'm not exactly sure what to listen for.

Pinging is just an annoying "pop pop pop" noise ususlly on acceleration. If you run a tank of 87 octane you will probably hear it.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Pining usually occurs on these engines under load at around 45-50 mph (in 4th gear), and on the freeway. It's hard to describe what it sounds like. It doesn't sound good.

You're best to fill that car up with premium...then you'll have no problems. I definitely would NOT put regular in a 4.9 engine despite what anyone says without retarding the stock timing.

LOL no way is any low grade going in my car: I don't care if gas hits $20 a gallon. So, either type of AC-Delco plug will be fine?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC View Post
    LOL no way is any low grade going in my car: I don't care if gas hits $20 a gallon. So, either type of AC-Delco plug will be fine?
    Yeah, If you dont retard timing keep 87 out, I ran it once, and once i burned a few gallons I added 93 to balance it out, sounded terrible.

AC delco platinums are probaby a better choice, they should last close to 100k miles whereas the regular ac delco may only last about 30k. I got some delco "rapid fires" but havnet installed them.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm having the tune-up done today, so I'll post again when it's done and let you guys know if any thing's improved.

Well, it`s finished! The plugs, wires, distributor, and rotor were all replaced, and the air filter was cleaned. The fuel injectors and throttle body didn't need service, which saved some money. Some Lucas oil stabilizer was put in. Now, my oil was due for a change in about 250 more miles. Should I go ahead and change it or wait a few hundred more miles? I will also have to replace my catalytic converter soon; more on this later.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Pinging sounds like somebody throwing a handfull of pebbles at a big iron pipe. The actual sound is important parts in the engine springing out of shape from the extreme stresses.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Well, I don't hear that sound, and haven't heard it once in the year I've had the car. so, that is obviously some good news.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.