4100 up keep.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 up keep. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey i recently purchased a 1984 cadillac coupe deville, i love this car and want it to last as long ...
    buthatsabuick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4100 up keep.

hey i recently purchased a 1984 cadillac coupe deville, i love this car and want it to last as long as possible, i haave been hearing from many people that the 4.1l cadillac is just a huge mistake and horrible engine, mine runs fine and i want to keep it thats way. so what are crucial tips for this motor and car thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Re: 4100 up keep.

I was just wondering if you had the Rear Wheel Drive Caddy or the FWD?
    I have owned my FWD 87' Deville for 5 years now. The Original engine has 146K+ miles on it and has alway's run great. The car was a one owner and well cared for and serviced regular. I would alway's allow the engine to warm up before driving it and change your oil & filter every 2000 miles and NEVER floor it! These engines aren't designed to be dogged, they are cruisers so a light foot will definately make it last alot longer than average. I would change and flush your radiator fluid every spring and fall and make sure the engine has a good thermostat. I would also Replace the water pump with a NEW pump NOT a remanufactured one, and The Serpentene Belt as well. A new set of plugs once a year and a new Cap & Rotor would be on my maintanence schedule also. I would also check your electric fans once a month in the summer months to make sure they are working properly. Both fans should be running when your A/C unit is on. In the winter months just use the ECONOMY mode on your Climate control panel for your heat instead of AUTO.
    Well i hope this info helps you out, if you have any more questions about your engine i will help you out ok. Let me know if your Caddy is FWD or RWD.

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just treat it with kid gloves, and dont beat on it, even though I know its hard because it takes every ounce of power that motor has to hold the car in traffic...... It is true, this is simply the worst engine cadillac has created in its modern history, but the engines can last and many last far a very long time. Just keep the "cooling additive" (bars leak) in it if you change the coolant, and expect an intake leak about 50-60K miles, if the motor still is original. Once it starts knocking, dont even contemplate rebuilding it.... Throw it away and swap to a better engine if you truly love the car.

Cadillac 500 Site

Quote Originally Posted by buthatsabuick
    hey i recently purchased a 1984 cadillac coupe deville, i love this car and want it to last as long as possible, i haave been hearing from many people that the 4.1l cadillac is just a huge mistake and horrible engine, mine runs fine and i want to keep it thats way. so what are crucial tips for this motor and car thanks,

buthatsabuick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

well its RWD i purchased for $500 and daily driving im kinda into the lowrider scene and the caddi experts i know tell me that yeah this motor is junk, well im about to start college and wont have money for a new engine anytime soon, sunday i flushed the cooling system,and cleaned out the antifreeze resivoir. hopefully this weekend i can do an oil change and tune up, anyway i know what your saying. i had it on the freeway once and after 5 minutes the servive soon light came on so i exited and slowed down it went off. ps. 94k miles. thanks again

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

UltraSlow I had no idea you had a 80's 745i, That is one hot car, does it have the buffalo interior?

RocketFast321 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac

ff topic:

but damn you have nices toys. I love the sound system

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by buthatsabuick
    well its RWD i purchased for $500 and daily driving im kinda into the lowrider scene and the caddi experts i know tell me that yeah this motor is junk, well im about to start college and wont have money for a new engine anytime soon, sunday i flushed the cooling system,and cleaned out the antifreeze resivoir. hopefully this weekend i can do an oil change and tune up, anyway i know what your saying. i had it on the freeway once and after 5 minutes the servive soon light came on so i exited and slowed down it went off. ps. 94k miles. thanks again
    I don't think the HT4100 engines are junk> I think General Motors should have Never put them in the FULL SIZE Big Body RWD Cadillacs. The engine is too small for those type cars. The RWD Caddy's should have all had 350 Chevy engines under their hoods instead of the HT4100s IMO. On the other hand, In the small body FWD Cadillacs the 4.1 Litre works just fine AND if you ever want to upgrade one to a 4.9 Litre Cadillac engine>They will bolt right up to the FWD tranny. IF I had a Big Body RWD Cadillac I would find a good running LT1 out of a 94' 95' or 96' FLEETWOOD and replace the 4.1 Litre to the 5.7 Litre LT1. Then you would have all the power that Big Caddy needs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.