I dread turning this car off!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I dread turning this car off! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Because everytime I try to start it back up it doesnt click or anything. It's left me stranded in parking ...
    92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Angry I dread turning this car off!

Because everytime I try to start it back up it doesnt click or anything. It's left me stranded in parking lots so much that it makes me just want to get rid of it.
    When it does this I open the hood for about 20 minutes and like nothing happened it fires right up. Whats also weird is sometimes while i'm waiting, someone will offer me a jump which I take of course and it always starts right up after getting a jump.
    I've done extensive research on this forum about problems starting but most everything points to the theft system or the battery.
    Ive already ruled out the theft system because the security light goes out after the ignition is turned on and it doesnt say starting disabled.
    The battery is a couple months new and I just had it recharged last week.
    Before I got it recharged for some strange reason the volts went all the way down to 9 volts. Now it holds between 12.7-13.7 volts while running.
    I was leaning toward having a bad starter but when it does start up it sounds strong and sometimes i'll go to start the car but it will click a few times before it cranks over, so I was thinking bad starter solenoid, or is it good because its clicking?
    Now Im thinking maybe the alternator isnt charging the battery sufficiently so when the engine shuts off theres not enough juice to even activate the starter solenoid.
    I checked all the cables and wires and as far as I can see they are ok. The cable to battery connections look pretty clean as there is no corrosion on them.
    I see where one of the grounds is connected in the front of the car but there is another one that snakes under the engine somewhere, I was thinking of cleaning them off and possibly relocating them to a better spot but im not even sure this will solve the problem.
    Any help appreciated, this is really frustrating!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Re: I dread turning this car off!

If it clicks, it might be in the starter solenoid. The contacts get dirty/burned and won't engage the motor. Try the shifter in neutral and wiggle it. Your first comment is that it would not click...?

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    Because everytime I try to start it back up it doesnt click or anything. It's left me stranded in parking lots so much that it makes me just want to get rid of it.
    When it does this I open the hood for about 20 minutes and like nothing happened it fires right up. Whats also weird is sometimes while i'm waiting, someone will offer me a jump which I take of course and it always starts right up after getting a jump.
    I've done extensive research on this forum about problems starting but most everything points to the theft system or the battery.
    Ive already ruled out the theft system because the security light goes out after the ignition is turned on and it doesnt say starting disabled.
    The battery is a couple months new and I just had it recharged last week.
    Before I got it recharged for some strange reason the volts went all the way down to 9 volts. Now it holds between 12.7-13.7 volts while running.
    I was leaning toward having a bad starter but when it does start up it sounds strong and sometimes i'll go to start the car but it will click a few times before it cranks over, so I was thinking bad starter solenoid, or is it good because its clicking?
    Now Im thinking maybe the alternator isnt charging the battery sufficiently so when the engine shuts off theres not enough juice to even activate the starter solenoid.
    I checked all the cables and wires and as far as I can see they are ok. The cable to battery connections look pretty clean as there is no corrosion on them.
    I see where one of the grounds is connected in the front of the car but there is another one that snakes under the engine somewhere, I was thinking of cleaning them off and possibly relocating them to a better spot but im not even sure this will solve the problem.
    Any help appreciated, this is really frustrating!
    Thanks
    Does it only happen when the engine is hot? If so, replace the starter because the armature is worn. Next time spray some water on the starter to cool it down. Summer is approaching so hurry up.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

mine did that when the engine was hot to, wasnt the starter though, I got a new battery last week and the problem seems to have stopped. I had my starter replaced a few years back.

Reading your post it seems to start fine if the engine has been sitting for awhile, correct? Mine would always start after sitting overnight, but if i drove a few miles then shut it off for a few minutes it wouldnt start back up for awhile. I think my battery wasnt holding a good charge, I hooked it up to a charger and it fixed it for a few days but always reappeared,

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

mine did that , ate 3 starters in the process ,,then reazlized the prevous owner forgot to put the small sheetmeat heat sheild back ont he damn starter .....another starter ,20 bucks and a starter blanket from jegs and shes been great ever since

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I think it's the battery terminals. You said it starts everytime with a boost. I have seen a lot of people have trouble tightening battery terminals with make-shift tools and I have come across two batteries last month with stripped out terminals because some gorilla tightened them too much or didn't have the cables routed PERFECTLY before they started tightening. I replaced a starter once because the battery had a bad connection and I felt pretty stupid; never again.

It starts fine when allowed to sit overnight or for 30 minutes to an hour. When I said it wouldnt click I meant immediately after being shut off. Most of the time it clicks a few times before it starts. I tightened the post that is sticking out of the solenoid, the one that the thick black wire is connected to as it was a little loose.
    There is also a purple wire coming from the positive cable on the battery going to the solenoid and out of the same harness is a smaller wire that is suppose to be conected to the solenoid, anyone know what this wire is becuase its not connected anymore, its just hanging there. Whatever it is must not be too important because the car starts even without it being connected.
    What you guys are telling me is that my battery could be bad (AutoZone battery) or the starter and or solenoid could be on its way out, right?
    Is there a parts store I can get that starter blanket from besides Jegs or any other kind of material I could use to keep heat off the starter? I have felt the starter after shutting it off and lifting the hood and it is hot to the touch. Will some header wrap on the exhaust manifold do the trick?
    I have plans to get a better battery within the next couple of days. Either an Energizer or a Die Hard, definately not another Autozone battery. Also, my battery cables are as tight as I can get them without stripping the terminals!

HUF

You can make an improvized starter shield yourself.

Any ideas?

I had my starter replaced in a shop so I dont know much on it.

My symptoms seemed just like yours, I think my battery was just slow to recharge and when I shut it off and tried to restart it fast it didnt have the juice to get going, hence letting it sit a few mins allowed a bit of recharge to get it going.

My starter made a nasty noise when i tried to start the car before it died on me.

If I were to guess how to make a shield I would think just a small piece of sheet metal bent around it, not sure how its all set up though

so does anyone think a new battery would solve the problem, I mean the starter isnt making any wierd noises besides clicking a lot.
    thanks for everyone's input

A new battery was an apparent fix in my case, If i were you I would atleast take your battery in to a few places and see if they would test it for you.

Also just be aware that a starter can die without making prior noise, after i had mine replaced once all was well then one day it just wouldnt start or make any noise and I had to get another starter

makes sense, guess I'll be shelling out that money for a new starter!
    thanks for all the replies

HUF

Just want to tell you that you do not have to remove intake manifold (as FSM recommends) to remove the starter . Good luck.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

You can buy a starter shield from Advance Automotive or other places like that for $5. Ready to go, just bolt it in.

I had the exact same problem as you. Turns out it was a corroded battery cable. It looked very clean from the outside, but slitting the PVC sheath revealed that it was corroded inside.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.