88 cdv
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 88 cdv in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; There's a nice 88 cdv. for sale in my area (dont know mileage yet) any comments on this year and ...
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

88 cdv

There's a nice 88 cdv. for sale in my area (dont know mileage yet) any comments on this year and model,is it fwd?, if it's fwd would I notice a difference in the ride compared to my 80 cdv?.thanks for any input,tnx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Re: 88 cdv

The '88 De Ville is FWD but it should ride nice. You won't know what to do with all the power. It is still old and will probably need some work. Fairly simple to work on however.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_tech View Post
    The '88 De Ville is FWD but it should ride nice. You won't know what to do with all the power. It is still old and will probably need some work. Fairly simple to work on however.
    my 80 cdv has a 6 litre,so I guess I will feel the difference if I get it,just found out it has 180,000 miles on it,but like I said before it is super clean with leather, I feel if the cars appearance is good that it probably has been well maintained all around.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

The C body cars ride very well, and the chassis/body/trim holds up pretty well too. It's a 4.5 which is a very good engine. It will have little things go wrong, as with any old car, but most are within the skills of a shadetree guy. My only big concern would be the transmission. At 180k it's either been replaced or will probably need it before long.

Check the oil for coolant (milkshake appearance). The coolant should smell sweet, not like exhaust. The coolant should also be a dirty brown color, indicating the use of sealer tabs - the true sign of a well cared for 4.x engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.