1984 , 1985 eldo convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1984 , 1985 eldo convertible in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I'm considering buying a 1984 or 1985 eldo convertible , I'm concerned about the 4100 engine I know it ...
    kingstos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 brougham

1984 , 1985 eldo convertible

Hello, I'm considering buying a 1984 or 1985 eldo convertible , I'm concerned about the 4100 engine I know it will have, I'm going in assuming that the engine will already be replaced or will need it sooner than the average car, do you think I should avoid this model based on engine? or are they repairable reasonably today? any good options out there for engine replacement on these cars? approx costs? thanks a lot for advice...steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 1984 , 1985 eldo convertible

Quote Originally Posted by kingstos
    Hello, I'm considering buying a 1984 or 1985 eldo convertible , I'm concerned about the 4100 engine I know it will have, I'm going in assuming that the engine will already be replaced or will need it sooner than the average car, do you think I should avoid this model based on engine? or are they repairable reasonably today? any good options out there for engine replacement on these cars? approx costs? thanks a lot for advice...steve
    Considering that any 20 year old engine had to be pretty good to get this far....it will certainly be a crap shoot based on the care , maintenance, etc.

The 4.1 is actually very robust if maintained correctly. The coolant in the system needed to be changed frequently to prevent corrosion of the engine internally and the coolant supplement (sealer) was mandatory in that engine to guard against any internal coolant leak.

If there is an engine problem the engine is very easy to repair (despite rumors to the contrary) and re-man factory engines are available if you want a "crate motor" to refresh the car. The factory re-mans are actually re-maned to a level that they pass the same OEM validation testing and they include all the gasketing technology and fastener updates incorporated into the later years of that engine family.

Given that an 84/85 eldo convertible is fairly rare if you really want one of those cars I would certainly not let the engine be a concern. It can be repaired or replaced easily....and if it was maintained reasonably well it is probably still fine.

dadscaddysucks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Re: 1984 , 1985 eldo convertible

I am sure I'll get a lot of nasty e-mails but here is my $.02worth.

I think a lot depends on whether you plan to use this car as a daily driver or a weekend driver. Forgetting the engine issues, there are other things that these cars are famous for. If you are not handy, or do not wish to become handy you will be spending money for:

1] CV boot joint replacement periodically. Parts $10.00 DIY. Pay somebody $50-$100/boot

2] Rear disc brakes- prone to parking brake failure due to crummy GM ratcheting design for these "E" cars. DIY under $100. Pay somebody $150-$400

3] Electric Antenna. DIY Under $10.00 with a mast kit. Pay somebody $50-$200

4] Electronic components- DIY through the OBD system DIY $10-$100 Pay somebody- God only knows

5] Conv Rear windows drives- DIY $40/side Pay somebody $100-$200

6] A/C if it still has R-12- DIY to 134A- under $50.00 plus any parts. Pay somebody $125+ parts. I finally gave up on the R-12 a few months ago, and now use 134A- I replaced everything, compressor, accumulator and orrifice tube and did the whole job DIY for under $200. Pay somebody for this $400?? and up??

7] These cars are ez to work on- I agree. But you need to be willing to work on them. I personally think the 4.1 is trouble. Many will disagree with me-but surely proper maintenence will help it last longer.

ANY questions?????

kpobrien is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: 1984 , 1985 eldo convertible

If you love the car do it. but if you have any reservations on it don't do it. For the simple reason that it might need alot of engine work if it was not maintained properly. I know for myself i love my car and will do what it takes to make it run. I have an 86 eldo in mint conditon. Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.