4.1L Oil Cooler path through Radiator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1L Oil Cooler path through Radiator in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I had an 4.1L 1984 eldorado need areplacement radiator. I replaced with inexpensive chinese version. Radiator has Both Trans fluid ...
    pkared is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

4.1L Oil Cooler path through Radiator

I had an 4.1L 1984 eldorado need areplacement radiator. I replaced with inexpensive chinese version. Radiator has Both Trans fluid cooler and Oil cooler in it. after about 10,000 miles the top end of the engine is very noisey from lack of oil. I wonder if the oil goes from radiator to top of engine and was stopped by defective oil cooler in radiator. If this is how it flows I might be able to just replace the heads & radiator without a total rebuild.
    Anyone familiar with the oill cooler path in a 1984 eldorado?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CoupeDeBlanc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DTS - 1989 Coupe de Ville (since sold)

Re: 4.1L Oil Cooler path through Radiator

I don't know the routing of the system, but I would think it unlikely that it would cause what you're describing.
    I don't think the designers would have relied on oil flowing from the cooler to be the only lubrication for the valvetrain. It's likely still getting it's oil through the lifters and up the pushrods from the main oil trunk/gallery. Same oil as the rest of the engine gets.

I guess if ALL the engine's oil went through the cooler before it went to the engine, then a blockage could reduce flow enough to hurt something. If that's the case though, I would think that your rod bearings would be the first to get stressed about it. And your lifters would make noise from lack of volume/pressure before you started hearing it in the upper reaches.

Just a guess though. Don't know all the dynamics of these things, so it's possible that something got blocked. Just not likely, I'm thinking.

For peace of mind, follow the tubing from the cooler. If both inlet and outlet are there on the oil filter housing, then the cooling system has no effect on where the oil goes once it's passed through the cooler and back into the engine. I bet too that there's a bypass that keeps oil flowing in case of a blockage there.

Not that any of that makes you feel better about the noises coming from the engine.
    What are you hearing by the way? And does it sound like both sides? Did it start suddenly or come on gradually?

Paul

I'll get back to you on that, I'm going to fire it up and listen closely.(It's been sittin awhile). Very usefull reply, thanks. I think you may be right about the path goiong back to the oil filter, but it's real suspicious that the motor would go a few hundred miles from changing a leaky radiator. No, there wasn't coolant in the oil. As I was going through this, I changed the oil at least 5 times.

CoupeDeBlanc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DTS - 1989 Coupe de Ville (since sold)

Did it overheat at some point before you changed the radiator? Or was it just leaking? If overheating, then the excessive heat could have accelerated wear in the upper end.
    Could also be a timing chain stretching with age. If yours was Port EFI then I'd say look to the injectors making a noise similar to a valve clatter, but your '84 was still carb'ed, correct? My '89 has a throttle body with two injectors that make a lot of noise now with 184,000 on them. Pretty loud actually.
    Good luck. Hope you find it's something simple. And better yet, cheap!

Paul

I've noticed that Jasper replacement engines voids the warranty unless the oil cooler pipes to the radiator are replaced at the time the engine is installed. Maked you think that them not working is a pretty big deal.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

I answered your question on the Yahoo ht4100 group. At least iI think it was your question.

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.