Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Setting Timing on '84 HT4100 4.1L

pkared is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

Setting Timing on '84 HT4100 4.1L

I have both an '84 eldo and seville, same color. I can't find the Timing indicator gage anywhere. It's really cramped in there around the pulleys but I've looked at night using the timing light on #1 cylinder. I can find the slot on the pulley and put some white paint in it, put I can't find anything to measure the timing against.
    Can anyone give me a general idea where the timing indicator gage is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

Re: Setting Timing on '84 HT4100 4.1L

Looking over the driver fender down at lower pulley you should see the plastic timing marker. If I recall they were plastic and can get brittle and fall off!

I'll look again in this area, but I'll bet that's it-it's on the ground somewhere. Can anyone look for another landmark on the engine for me to line-up to? Something else I can use as a guide for setting the timing without the factory guide?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

There is no other guide. Order the timing tag and do it correctly.

Had the water pump go and had to tear it down to the timing gears because the front cover pulled loose when I removed the Water pump. In the Install instructions it calls for installing a Timing Indicator Part Number 1623830 onto the water pump as you assemble it to the engine(4.1L) The dealership says it's discontinued but I'll look for it. At least I know where it mounts, I may be able to get it from a junk yard but it'll be hell getting it off. I think a lot of mechanics forget to put it back on because it's missing on my 84 eldorado also and it was there before(I set the timing on the car when I got it used) the timing chain went and I had a mechanic fix it. Maybe they are brittle and break when you remove them(Might be plastic)