tuning Questions for a 93 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, tuning Questions for a 93 deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 90 factory service manual to work on a 93. I know the 90 came with a 4.5 ...
    lenny lincoln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

tuning Questions for a 93 deville

I have a 90 factory service manual to work on a 93. I know the 90 came with a 4.5 and the 93 came with a 4.9. Is the timing still set at 10*? I have a slight idle miss thats not throwing any codes. All new electrical components involed with a tune up where replaced except the coil pack. cleaned throttle plates front and back sides, cleaned the erg tubes, checked for vacumm leaks, none to be found. No lurching at cruising speed ,typical of a vacumm leak. thinking injectors clogged. getting occordingly to my FDC 9 miles to the gallon around town, which I think is wrong. Whats everbody eles getting? I am going to recheck the timing again tommorrow. Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: tuning Questions for a 93 deville

IIRC timing is 10* BTDC. mine has a decal under the hood saying what to set it at. 9 seems low, is their a new o2 sensor aswell?

Im getting about 17 avg with a engine miss in light city driving, think plugs are my problem

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

If you're going to adjust the timing there are usually two pins in the ALDL under the dash that you need to jump together to bypass the computer timing adjustment.

I was thinking O2 replacement too. Might the fuel pressure regulator make the car run rich?

The FPR could be leaking which could result in bad gas mileage, IIRC people have said itll cause a miss aswell. Look in the tech tips for a thread on how to check for a leaky fpr. I know ive seen it mentioned in here several times

the fpr will hold pressure using a mightyvac. I sprayed the inside of the diaphram slide bar with wd40. It seems to be getting better with driving. I never had it out on the highway since i got it 3wks ago and tuned it. I think the ecm is still learning. I did get a p040 powersteering switch code last night and tried to enter ecc to test it, BUt the part of pressing the brake pedal to let me get into that area of the ecc wouldnt work. I am using a 90 FSM tp work on a 93 so I think they might of changed something in the test procedure. I have to talk to a owner of a 93 FSM to find out.

solved all problems but one. found out the cruise control swtich has to be turned on at 0.70 then you press the brake pedal. I have a bad power steering switch or it needs to be cleaned. I need to find where the switch is located. ANY help? After loving up the FPR with wd40 and a mightyvac idle smoothed out and held while I did the air flow adjustments. I now have a beautiful smooth idle. I need to do now is replace the lower O2 because of bad gas mileage to see if it helps. I am only getting 9 around town and its not throwing codes. And fix the powersteering switch.

Sorry, no idea for the PS Switch, I will say though that replacing the o2 is easy and your 93 deville should only have the one in the exhaust manifold under the hood. Took me 20 mins tops to replace mine.

rstewart65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Deville

On a 90 the switch is on the side of the rack by the input shaft. I can emai a pic from the manual if you'd like, just post your address.

rstewart65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Deville

Or look on page 3b-7 of the 90 manual, it's shown in figure 6 as item 6. (at least in my 90 FSM)

I already saw the top 02 but when I went to autozone they said I had 2, So without looking I order the one after the cat. owning a lincoln towncar I learned that the rear one is the that does all the work . I will have to get under it to see how many I have. Thanks for the led on the location of the switch.

My 93 Deville only has one that i could see, didnt check after the cat though. It was 20$. If you had dual exhaust I would see the potential for more. Just replacing the one screwed into the exhaust up front fixed all my problems

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

My 92 Deville was running a little rough and mileage was quite low for a long time. It finally gave me a code for a MAP sensor. It was $45 at Autozone and the mileage went up immediately. It could be a cheap gamble and it's only 2 screws.

Rock and Roll. Went from 10 average around town to 16.5 with a different MAP sensor scored form the yard when I was grabbing other parts. Thanks for the tip. Now I need to find out why my power steering switch is staying open. I grabbed another one off a junker only to have the same problem. Not many of you guys has had there switches go bad so that leds me to think that theres something eles going on. Anybody have there switch go bad and throw a code.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I got the code for power steering switch but I haven't replaced it yet. I read here somewhere that it can cause low idle problems too. I assume it's fairly common and I'm hoping I can just replace it with a new one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.