4.9 air filter question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 air filter question... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; yo.. my boy has a 92 fleetwood with a 4.9.. its the FWD models He want s to upgrade the ...
    roger_27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4.9 air filter question...

yo.. my boy has a 92 fleetwood with a 4.9.. its the FWD models

He want s to upgrade the air filter with the 4.9 KnN air filter provided on KnN s website...... the problem is the website says that it is for the seville 4.9 V8... but at looking at it.. it appears to be the exact same as the fleetwood 4.9...

would cadillac make 2 different 4.9s???

here is the filter
    http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=33-2086

tell me what you think.. thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: 4.9 air filter question...

that is the correct filter....

...when I was looking at mine, the guy at (Advance Auto) was like, uh, there is no K&N air filter for a '93 DeVille... when I manually looked at the book, it was listed only for 1995 DeVille w/ 4.9....all 4.9's are created equal, and it is a direct drop in...mine had to be special order and was $60....

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have a 94 4.9. Looking at the K&N website, I found that the measurements of the 33-2086 were the same as mine in L and W (the original is a little thicker). I took the chance, ordered it, and it fitted like a glove.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by D148L0
    I have a 94 4.9. Looking at the K&N website, I found that the measurements of the 33-2086 were the same as mine in L and W (the original is a little thicker). I took the chance, ordered it, and it fitted like a glove.

have any of you read the test on caddyinfo.com about the differences of a ac delco filter to a fram to a k & n? very interesting look it up

To be honest I haven't. I have used K&N in all my cars and I like it, but right now I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip man.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRG!

Look around. The only direct K&N link ( http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/dyno/4airboxtest.htm ) showed a discrete improvement in performance, the other (not a K&N, http://www.caddyinfo.com/airboxvscone.htm ) shows a small decreased performance. Again, it was not a K&N. My mod resembles more of the first one, but still you are freaking me. It's there something I'm missing? POST THE LINK MAN!!!!!
    Thanks

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unless you have modified the air box to allow more air flow you might as well use the stock replacement filter an air filter isn't going to draw any more air than what can enter the housing. I took a 1" holesaw to the bottom of the airbox on my old '91 Honda Accord EX and kept the el cheapo Fram air filter. Besides making it sound a lot better I could tell a definte improvement when passing at highway speeds. Actually it was an extra airbox bottom I picked up at the junkyard, just in case................

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    Unless you have modified the air box to allow more air flow you might as well use the stock replacement filter an air filter isn't going to draw any more air than what can enter the housing. ....
    I Agree. My box is modified too.

90devilleguy, the test in the link is biased. The guy should have used only new filters of each brand, and he didn't. It is possible that the results would be similar, but I don't think so. It's the only time I have seen a result like it.

99Zee28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    HAHA! The K&N yeilded the worst results!!! I told you guys to leave your cars alone! These little mods don't do anything (if you can even call that a mod)!

Later,
    Dave

Dave, read my last post. It's a biased comparison. There is no way you can verify the status of that filter after 4 years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by D148L0
    Dave, read my last post. It's a biased comparison. There is no way you can verify the status of that filter after 4 years of use.

yeah but he reoiled the filter so that's like he has a brand new k & N, so i don't think the tests are biases, you just like k & n, which is ok, the only reason that i would buy a k & n is that you don't have to worry about it for 50,000 miles atleast.

I like the K&N filters, but if a good unbiased study with several tests done demonstrates that other air filter is better, I will get the best filter ASAP.

I'm just saying that we don't know for sure if he keep good care of that filter for 4 years with the regular clean up or he just did it for the test, and did it properly.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Guys...air filters are air filters. K&N filters are good....and very expensive....and no better than the production, OEM replacment paper filters... The paper filters filter as good and flow as good. A filter is a restriction in the sytem....regardless of who makes it. As long as the same size filters are compared how can a K&N filter flow more air if it filters as well....???? No scientific reason behind it....just emotion. Of COURSE K&N data shows it to be better.....THEY probably took a dirty paper filter out and replaced it with a clean K&N.....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Of COURSE K&N data shows it to be better.....THEY probably took a dirty paper filter out and replaced it with a clean K&N.....LOL.
    Hahahahaha! I don't doubt it for a second... thanks for the imput Bbob!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.