HT4100 Misfire Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Misfire Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone-- So my car (85 Deville with 32,000 miles) runs perfectly now for the most part except an issue ...
    awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

HT4100 Misfire Question

Hi everyone--

So my car (85 Deville with 32,000 miles) runs perfectly now for the most part except an issue that still continues to plague it that I've finally been able to rule out a few issues as the culprit:

Basically, my car runs just fine now around town and at anything up to about 3/4 throttle and 3500 rpms. After that, if I really lay into it, I'll get popping in the intake, like an exhaust valve is sticking or not sealing. There's no ticking ever, so I don't think it's a lifter...but what do you think? Bad valve spring? Rocker arm pivot? Bent pushrod? Flat cam?

I have an early 85 model with the more flimsy rocker arm pivots so I was wondering what the symptoms are of a car with such a problem.

As I said, the car has good power up to about 3500 rpms, but the compression is low on one particular cylinder (#7).

Timing is spot on (jumps around a bit because of the low compression, but not much), all new ignition system (the entire thing--distributor, plugs, wires, etc.).

Any opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Re: HT4100 Misfire Question

First guess would be fuel supply issues. Fuel pump output? fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter ?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree, the fuel filter is probably original! if an engine runs lean, it will pop thru the air intake. Change the filter. You can verify if the filter was plugged by simply blowing thru it once removed.

I already changed the fuel filter when I got the car and the pressure is always a good 12 psi. It's definitely a mechanical issue. Both injectors work perfectly too.

Does it exhibit the same symptoms just revving in neutral or do they appear only under load?

Good question. If I really rev it in neutral, it'll do it too. It's definitely some mechanical issue...catalytic converter has also been changed, so it's not a back pressure issue.

Does it appear worse under load or begin at lower RPMs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.