4.1L.. What's the problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1L.. What's the problem? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Why was it rated so low? I mean it's a V8 for christ sake and has decent displacement. Are the ...
    BlackTTC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

4.1L.. What's the problem?

Why was it rated so low? I mean it's a V8 for christ sake and has decent displacement. Are the heads the problem? Do they flow like shit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: 4.1L.. What's the problem?

The 4100 was designed to meet fuel economy requirements imposed by the CAFE standards, while retaining acceptable power and the silky smoothness Cadillac owners expect. The 80s were all about style and no substance.

The '87 Allante 4100 is a bit jazzier, but not much.

Noah,

Is the 4.5L the same as the 4.1L with just more displacement? Is it the same block? Will it bolt right in? It's too bad a chevy 350cid TBI won't swap in. Would be fun and hell of a sleeper.

It's exactly the same block and will bolt right in a FWD car, but there are some computer and fuel pressure issues that need to be resolved. Member Illumina has done the swap, perhaps he could offer some advice.

Car is OBD1 so i would need a chip burned? That shouldn't be a big problem. If the heads are the problem. Maybe a set of ported ones along with a matched intake manifold will help.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

To be honest, you're not really going to get much more power out of the 4.1 unless you invest big $$. It's not worth it. The internals won't take constant flogging and much more horsepower. If you drive it normally, it'll be just fine for quite a while. If you floor it every time you take off, you'll likely run into some issues.

Agreed. For the return on investment you'd be better off starting with a different car, like a supercharged 3800 Pontiac SSEI or Olds Touring.

Thank you both guys but i'm not looking to get 300hp or anything. Just some minor things. I'm not going to be sinking thousands into this car.

You can bump the timing a couple of degrees to capture some low end torque, but at the expense of fuel economy.

Switch to Shell V premium, keep it tuned and make sure you have a clean cat converter. i think the 4.1 has ample giddyup in the c-body. Not going to win any races, but mine has danced comfortably at 105 a time or two. Didn't even spill my coffee.

Noah,

Are there instructions online about bumping the timing? I'm going to open up the exhaust alittle and run a high flow cat but that'll probably be it with a switch to premium and bumping the timing.

I'll defer to awadecki to answer - he's played with his distributor a lot lately.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

I have an 87 deville with 4.1. I've set the timing at 13 degrees, put BOSCH platinum +1 plugs, MSD super conductor wires, MSD cap/rotor, MSD coil, a new ignition module, removed the heating grids in the throttle body (for beter flow), and i run CASTROL syntec 5w50 synthetic oil. My engine runs smooth, quiet, and has balls. I have won races and i don't beat my car daily. but i do not drive it like a baby. I don't worry about "issues" with this engine, i just maintain it exactly as i should and drive it. As for exhaust i have a MAGNAFLOW high flow cat, with a FLOWMASTER 80 series camaro style muffler.

cold start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imca-...related&search=

3/4 throttle take off uphill (1/4 warmed up, thus the little stuttering, stock air filter not mounted thus its getting too much air when not fully warmed up) shifted to second @ 3400rpms, i let go throttle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktGVTsU5Y-k

Quote Originally Posted by caddeville View Post
    I have an 87 deville with 4.1. I've set the timing at 13 degrees, put BOSCH platinum +1 plugs, MSD super conductor wires, MSD cap/rotor, MSD coil, a new ignition module, removed the heating grids in the throttle body (for beter flow), and i run CASTROL syntec 5w50 synthetic oil. My engine runs smooth, quiet, and has balls. I have won races and i don't beat my car daily. but i do not drive it like a baby. I don't worry about "issues" with this engine, i just maintain it exactly as i should and drive it. As for exhaust i have a MAGNAFLOW high flow cat, with a FLOWMASTER 80 series camaro style muffler.

cold start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imca-...related&search=

3/4 throttle take off uphill (1/4 warmed up, thus the little stuttering, stock air filter not mounted thus its getting too much air when not fully warmed up) shifted to second @ 3400rpms, i let go throttle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktGVTsU5Y-k

Thanks for the post. I'm thinking about running a race cat and a borla muffler but they're so god damn expensive. What size is our stock exhaust? 2.5"?

I also wonder if this wouldn't work for us...

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Don't know about the exhaust, but I run about 1 degree advance, with mid-grade gas and I get really good mileage. I'd say about 17-18 city and about 24-25 on the highway.

Sometimes, if you advance the timing too high on these motors you'll hear the No. 1 main bearing start thumping. Also, be careful to listen for spark knock when you advance the timing. You can barely hear it on these 4.1s with all of the Cadillac insulation. I found a 3rd-2nd downshift out of lock up at about 28 mph provides the best "listening environment" for spark knock.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

With all of MY mods and a bit of a heavy foot i average 15 MPG city. 13 degree timing with 92 octane, once in a while 94. My #1 bearing thumps at stock timing. But yes if you do over advance it, it will thump like hell.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.