Horrendous gas mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Horrendous gas mileage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1993 Sedan Deville, 65K car runs superb yet the darn thing is sucking gas down at what averages out to ...
    zentrade is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Horrendous gas mileage

1993 Sedan Deville, 65K car runs superb yet the darn thing is sucking gas down at what averages out to be 6-7 MPG! Not even a Hummer H1 or 2 is that bad!!

How can that be when the car runs so good?, Just cleaned out throttle body not so long ago . Air filter looks ok..no codes being put up, No SES or SVS lights either.

I figure even with city driving, stop and go, a bad MPG example would be 10 to 13 perhaps

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: Horrendous gas mileage

Yeah, that's pretty awful. You likely have a leaking injector or bad FPR, which has now caused your oxygen sensor to go bad too. Check the fuel pressure at the rail (just buy a gauge at the local store). The nipple is located under the black cover just above the valve cover on the radiator side.

Connect the gauge, turn the key on, and read the pressure. See if it drops after a couple of minutes, if it does you have a bad injector. If the pressure exceeds about 40 psi with the car running, your FPR should be replaced.

BlackTTC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

How new is your fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty awful. You likely have a leaking injector or bad FPR, which has now caused your oxygen sensor to go bad too. Check the fuel pressure at the rail (just buy a gauge at the local store). The nipple is located under the black cover just above the valve cover on the radiator side.

Connect the gauge, turn the key on, and read the pressure. See if it drops after a couple of minutes, if it does you have a bad injector. If the pressure exceeds about 40 psi with the car running, your FPR should be replaced.
    Ok im going to check that out.Thanks! If it turns out to be an injector..any particular way to narrow down which one(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTTC6 View Post
    How new is your fuel filter?
    Not sure on the fuel filter, Never replaced it since i owned car (Dec 2006) and dont know the history....Cheap fix so i guess while im at the parts store i can pick one up.Thanks!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zentrade View Post
    Ok im going to check that out.Thanks! If it turns out to be an injector..any particular way to narrow down which one(s)?
    You can lift the fuel rail and see which one is leaking when ignition is ON. Usually, all eight should be replaced when one of them goes bad. You can buy a set for some $200-$250.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    You can lift the fuel rail and see which one is leaking when ignition is ON. Usually, all eight should be replaced when one of them goes bad. You can buy a set for some $200-$250.
    Ok thanks! I am going to get on it as soon as possible and i will report back. Got some nasty wethaer coming so might take a bit.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Several members here have installed the Bosch fuel injectors from Five-0 Motorsport, myself included. Significantly less than OEM, and they work great. I noticed a significant improvement in throttle response after putting them in. And I average anywhere from 18-20 MPG in a 30/70 mix of city and highway driving.

BlackTTC6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

Try the fuel filter first and see what happens.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I get an average of 13.5-15.2 MPG in my type of driving.... 70 city/30 highway. Maybe I should look into the fuel filter, as I've never done one in the two and a half years I've owned it. Where's it located on the car?
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    Several members here have installed the Bosch fuel injectors from Five-0 Motorsport, myself included. Significantly less than OEM, and they work great. I noticed a significant improvement in throttle response after putting them in. And I average anywhere from 18-20 MPG in a 30/70 mix of city and highway driving.
    Thanks! If i find the problem to be the injectors, i`ll look into those you suggested.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I get an average of 13.5-15.2 MPG in my type of driving.... 70 city/30 highway. Maybe I should look into the fuel filter, as I've never done one in the two and a half years I've owned it. Where's it located on the car?
    Should be a little silver tube located toward the rear of the car on the drivers side. Think its around the back door just inside the frame. I have a fuel filter rolling around in my trunk that i never got installed because i couldnt see it. To be honest I didnt have any jacks to get under it so I couldnt really get a good look.

To the original poster, You can replace the o2 sensor for about 20$. Not sure if it would be wise to do it now or wait until any problems found. I replaced mine and my mileage went up, dont think i have injector problems, my o2 just got old.

Ok thanks! I think thats something im definitely going to replace as an earlier reply had suggested that if there are any other issues such as injectors or FPR..Those issue could have fouled the 02 sensor. So im still waiting to check everything out firts and then will replace it either way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.