keeps going like the energizer bunny - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, keeps going like the energizer bunny in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1990 Sedan de Ville that needs a 4.5 engine. Anyone out there know anything about the history ...
    Martin Matthys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: keeps going like the energizer bunny

I have a 1990 Sedan de Ville that needs a 4.5 engine. Anyone out there know anything about the history of this engine and the expected longevity.

DevilleMN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Concours

'94 Concours

Was not going to buy the car, it is pretty, but too many miles [190,000] until the owner started to tell me what had been fixed or replaced.

Transmission replaced; 80,000 mi.
    Engine; 120,000
    AC comp; 150,000
    Water pump; 180,000
    Two new tires; 185,000
    And the list went on including complete exterior detailing with new hood and various front end parts after he killed a deer with it. Summer of '06. Show room shine.

It had a buzzing in the front end that got worse after 1,000 of my miles on it. Hubs or worse-it was the hubs. I think the former owner was tired of fixing, therefore when I made an offer $1,200 under his $5K asking he took it.

Not affraid of high mileage, as I can do my own work, however the ""N's" are certainly a different animal.

I also have a '90 GMC with a 5.7, extended cab beauty, I bought new in '89 that now shows 411,000 happy miles. Original 5.7 never opened up and transmission, just now grabbing a bit in reverse. Typical maintenace, even a bit long on oil changes.

Of all the items one has to maintain here is a short list of those parts I credit with the longevity.

New shocks-all 4 at 50,000. still on the truck. Monroe Life
    Ever time it turned to the next 100k a new radiator. Cool and happy.

Then I could go into the 8 alterrnators, 5 starters, 4 heater cores, one set of injectors along with the usual wear parts of course.

It will go 500k. Got a good one, probably built on Wednesday!

After two months I really enjoy the "N".

Throw parts at em', they be Happy. Of course within reason!

Good Luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by DevilleMN View Post

I also have a '90 GMC with a 5.7, extended cab beauty, I bought new in '89 that now shows 411,000 happy miles. Original 5.7 never opened up and transmission, just now grabbing a bit in reverse. Typical maintenace, even a bit long on oil changes.

Of all the items one has to maintain here is a short list of those parts I credit with the longevity.

New shocks-all 4 at 50,000. still on the truck. Monroe Life
    Ever time it turned to the next 100k a new radiator. Cool and happy.

Then I could go into the 8 alterrnators, 5 starters, 4 heater cores, one set of injectors along with the usual wear parts of course.

It will go 500k. Got a good one, probably built on Wednesday!
    God bless the throttle body 350!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Matthys View Post
    I have a 1990 Sedan de Ville that needs a 4.5 engine. Anyone out there know anything about the history of this engine and the expected longevity.
    4.5 and 4.9 are very similar and they are known workhorses.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

i'm afraid i have some bad news.
    yesterday while coming home i was driving up a very large hill that i do regularily and the car jerks forward about 3 times. its like there is a tooth gone on the tranny and it kinda is like something hitting it.
    it made it up the hill just as fast as it normally would, but with this 3 "bumps". interested; i went and climbed the hill again and it was not there .
    i have since gone on that large hill many times and felt nothing. maybe it was something in the road? or something in my car
    either way it is still working good. i can peel rubber with out any problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.