Air Filter Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Air Filter Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know where I can get a K&N air filter for my 4.9 I want to put it in ...
    fifty9singlecab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Air Filter Question

Does anyone know where I can get a K&N air filter for my 4.9 I want to put it in the factory box but Advance Auto Parts are not showing one for a factory replacement. I need a part number for a matching size K&N filter. (If there is one) Thanks for the help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Re: Air Filter Question

Check if they have listings for the 4.5 TBI or MPFI engines, i was told the filters are the same.

Last night I was looking on ebay and they had one for a 1995 4.9 Deville. I would think that would be the same wouldn't it? The K&N part number to it was 33-2086 I think I will go to a parts house and see if they have one in stock and see if it will fit. It's $49.95 + $8.00 shipping on ebay.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I personally wouldn't waste you money on a K&N filter. You might see all of 3hp (I'm being generous here). AC Delco filters are excellent for 1/5 of the price.

If you want extra power without spending money, advance your timing a few degrees. You'll probably see an additional 8-10hp or so. Just make sure you run premium.

I don't care about the power as much as I do the gas mileage. I was getting 23 to 24 mpg. on the highway then I put 18" wheels on it and now I get 20 to 21 mpg. I was just wanting to pick the fuel mileage up a bit. Will jumping my timing up help or hurt my mileage. Also premium fuel is all that I have ever ran in my car.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by fifty9singlecab View Post
    I don't care about the power as much as I do the gas mileage. I was getting 23 to 24 mpg. on the highway then I put 18" wheels on it and now I get 20 to 21 mpg. I was just wanting to pick the fuel mileage up a bit. Will jumping my timing up help or hurt my mileage. Also premium fuel is all that I have ever ran in my car.

Changing the wheels didn't change your fuel economy. The larger diameter footprint changed the calibration of your odometer, which in turn throws off the gas mileage equation. Put simply, with the 18's, each time the wheel makes one revolution, you've traveled about 10% farther in real distance than you did with the factory wheels and tires, so your gas mileage calculates 10% lower.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

noahsdad is largely right, but there are some other factors here at work:

1) Your tire size has likely increased (although I'm not sure if you have low profile tires or not now) by some amount, which is now throwing your odometer off.

Here's an example of this calculation of how you can calculate how far your odometer will be off:

Say you used to have P215 75 R15's on your car. Your total tire size (including the wheel) was previously 15 inches for the rim plus 215*75%/20.54 (for conversion to inches)=7.8 inches. Your total tire height is 22.8 inches (15+7.8).

Now, let's say you put P235 60 R18's (thinner sidewall, thicker tread width) on your car. Your tire height is now 18 inches for th rim plus 235*60%/20.54=6.87. Your total tire height is now 24.87 inches.

So, that being said, your overall diameter is now about 10% larger than before, as is your circumference (since you multiply both numbers by pi and then take a ratio). Your odometer will be off by about 10%.

2) Another issue here is that you're likely losing some mileage because the tire's moment of interia has increased. Translation: it takes a larger force to induce the tire to spin, i.e. more power. Think of it this way: ever watch a diving competition? You'll notice divers tuck themselves very tightly when they perform spins (small moment of inertia). However, sometimes they untuck themselves during the move to slow themselves down as they've effectively changed their body's moment of intertia.

3) You've effectively lowered your overall final drive ratio, so you're probably getting identical mileage on the highway.

In any case, you're not likely to gain the mileage back (if you've in fact really lost any) with a K&N filter.

Thanks everyone, I had 215/70/15 on my factory wheels and now I have 245/45/18 on it now. I am not good on adding this kind of stuff up. I am a police officer and I clocked my car at 65 mph and it was off 1 mph. I think I will take your advice and wait on the K&N filter though. Thank you both for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.