4.9 litre plug wire access problem.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 litre plug wire access problem. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi,i`ve got a 4.9 litre on my '95 Deville.I want to change the spark plug wires. I notice the wires ...
    pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Question 4.9 litre plug wire access problem.

Hi,i`ve got a 4.9 litre on my '95 Deville.I want to change the spark plug wires.
    I notice the wires run from the distributor cap right on top of the engine to a seemingly inaccessable location in front of the firewall way down below.
    I`d appreciate any suggestions on how a do it your selfer with a set of car ramps and a hydraulic jack can gain access to the end of the plug wires in front of the firewall.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fifty9singlecab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 4.9 litre plug wire access problem.

I did it and I'm alot less than a shade tree mechanic. You won't need a floor jack you just need a pair of plug wire pliers so you won't bust your knuckles. Also a skinny hand is good. It's a bitch to do but you can do it. Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts have these pliers that you can borrow. Good luck!

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I did it with nothing more than my bare hands Though I fit into the skinny hand/arm category.

You can try a wire puller, never used on myself though. I would recommend a good set of gloves or wearing a heavy long sleeve shirt though as my arms got cut up a bit. I did it all by feel and it wasnt to bad, just took a bit of time. I didnt reuse all the clips though, I used some zip ties to hold them loosely together and to keep them from hanging near the exhaust.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

As BB stated, just get your hands in there. I have a pair of kevlar mechanics gloves from Sears so I don't have to sacrifice the the blood god every time I have to pull something apart. I use them when working on the Eldo and also on our good car, the Camry.

gscott73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 91, so I'm not sure how much yours differs from mine, but I just did this last week. I marked and then removed the bar that runs across from strut tower to strut tower, and then I moved the heater hoses out of the way and tied them back with nylon ties. Once this stuff was out of the way, it was a piece of cake. Mine were the original wires and all four ran together through a rather large length of plastic tubing, so I just removed all four at once instead of trying to do one at a time. Just be sure to mark which one goes where at the cap and plug!

I pulled mine one by one out of the tubing, took a bit of time. Im glad you mentioned the strut bar, I forgot I unbolted and removed that aswell to make it a bit easier, I didnt touch any hoses though.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    Hi,i`ve got a 4.9 litre on my '95 Deville.I want to change the spark plug wires.
    I notice the wires run from the distributor cap right on top of the engine to a seemingly inaccessable location in front of the firewall way down below.
    I`d appreciate any suggestions on how a do it your selfer with a set of car ramps and a hydraulic jack can gain access to the end of the plug wires in front of the firewall.
    Thank you.
    Im assuming your talkin about the one on the drivers side.
    I remember in my 93 SLS it was quite tight.
    And like behind-bars I also got cut up a bit.
    As to the difference between 93 and 95 I dont know. But in my 93 there was a sensor right beside that last plug. And take my word...It doesnt take much to snap the top off of it. So if you also have that sensor there be carefull.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Lay across of the engine and twist the boots before pulling. That's it.

Thumbs up Re: 4.9 litre plug wire access problem.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.When the weather gets warmer here in Michigan,i`ll apply what i`ve learned from your information and get going on replacing my plug wires.I think i`ll stay with new AC/DELCO wires since the engine was designed to use them.
    I`m really glad i joined this forum.I`ve really learned an ample amount knowledge here.

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

I have had six or so cadillac front wheel drive models, and on everyone I have lost blood changing out the even number plug wires. There is no easy way, and whatever you do spend the money for the clips. NAPA has them on their racks for half the price of the stealerships. I trusted my son to swap out the wires and he didn't use the clips. Two weeks later the car was missing and he had destroyed the #2 plug wire which contacted the manifold. I have scars on my hands from doing the wires and plugs. One thing I have learned that might work is to drop the cradle, at least the front bolts to get more access to the wires. I had to do that to swap out the A/C fan. Using the dielectric grease on the boots will also help in the future.

Thumbs up Re: 4.9 litre plug wire access problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
    I have had six or so cadillac front wheel drive models, and on everyone I have lost blood changing out the even number plug wires. There is no easy way, and whatever you do spend the money for the clips. NAPA has them on their racks for half the price of the stealerships. I trusted my son to swap out the wires and he didn't use the clips. Two weeks later the car was missing and he had destroyed the #2 plug wire which contacted the manifold. I have scars on my hands from doing the wires and plugs. One thing I have learned that might work is to drop the cradle, at least the front bolts to get more access to the wires. I had to do that to swap out the A/C fan. Using the dielectric grease on the boots will also help in the future.

Considering the difficulty at getting at the ends of the plug wires near the firewall,i may just pay the extra money for labor and get it done at the stealership or some reputable shop that uses AC/DELCO parts.
    I don`t mind getting my hands dirty and bloody sometimes----i recently changed 3 hard to get at coolant hoses and got quite bloodied from that.
    I`ve had a good look under the hood and it really looks like it would be a hassle to get at those plug wire ends.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

The rear ones are actually easier. There is more room up there. Just lay on the engine.

gscott73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Man, I must have gotten lucky with mine. HUF is right about the rear ones being easier than the front ones, and I didn't even have to lay on the engine! The # 8 plug is a bit tricky because the trans dipstick tube is kind of in the way, but I've seen worse. I had a 1988 Chevy Caprice 305 V8 that was actually harder to change plugs,wires on. The whole deal on the Cadillac took me less than two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    The rear ones are actually easier. There is more room up there. Just lay on the engine.
    Hi Huf.I don`t think we`re talking about the same type of setup.On my 1995 Deville 4.9 litre,my distrbutor cap and plugs are on top and are easy to access,the plug ends near the firewall are NOT easily accessible.

on my 93 the dist and wire ends are on top too and easy to access.

I think what Huf means is that their is more room between the back of the engine and the firewall then their is between the front of the engine and the radiator. The only difference is you can easily see the ones in the front. The back plug wires were easy for me to remove by touch, the hardest part of them for me was routing them properly.

I didn't lay across the engine much either, just removed the strut bar and laid over each side of the fender.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.