Your opinion of the 4.5L V8 in the 88 DeVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Your opinion of the 4.5L V8 in the 88 DeVille in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is this a good engine? What are some things to look for? concerns? What are the great things about the ...
    caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your opinion of the 4.5L V8 in the 88 DeVille

Is this a good engine? What are some things to look for? concerns? What are the great things about the engine? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: Your opinion of the 4.5L V8 in the 88 DeVille

The 4.5 and 4.9 are upgraded versions of the 4.1. They are responsive and provide adequate horsepower, and tend to be very reliable and long-lived engines. In fact, they remain two of the lowest warranty claim engines Cadillac ever produced. If the transmissions held up better, these cars would run to 300k and beyond.

There is one caveat: the cooling system must be maintained properly and regularly according to the GM instructions. As good as the 4.5 and 4.9 are, they suffer from the same primary weakness that nagged the 4.1: head and intake gasket failure due to the aluminum block/cast iron head design.

Changing the coolant annually and using the GM sealer supplement will drastically reduce your chances of ever dealing with these problems.

90Devillex32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

They are powerful and reliable engines. They average about 12 to 15 mpg on average. If you maintain it accordingly you should hit 250k easy.

But like noahsdad said the transmission sucks in these engines. The low-end torque is so awesome that you cant help but put the pedal to the metal. Of course, thats throws out your trans over time.

I wish i had bought my cadillac off the line.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Well, I would certainly HOPE there would be some improvement in the 16 year gap between the cars you mentioned...and just because a Ralph Lauren Polo t-shirt COSTS $100 doesn't mean that it's any better or more functional than the $6 one. If you are such a BMW fan/Cadillac hater, why are you here?

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

I think the 4.5L are great overall. Now I guess I like the later versions of the 4.5L better because of the fuel delivery system but I do not think that takes away from their dependability. A huge step up from the 4.1L. I would still buy one if the right situation came about.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thread cleanup complete!

Caddeville: Please do not hijack threads. Take your BMW discussion here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-versus/

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Ok, now that the Bimmer crap has left us, I'll lend my take on the 4.5 liter, as I have owned both.

The 4.5 liter is very reliable in either the TBI or MPFI setup. Power is strong from a stop, but as everyone and their mother has stated, the 4.5 loses power up top.

As for fuel mileage, the 4.5 will easily get what your driving habits for a torque monster will allow; on my '89 Deville, she would average about 17 overall, and I am a leadfoot. Ask anyone here When I didn't beat on the engine (and they can take it!), I would see above 20 mpg at times. Like I said, mpg is partially a product of your habits, and the tune of your engine. On my '87 Seville with a transplant 4.5 liter, I am netting about 19 mpg.

Back to overall reliability, the 4.5 liter can take a beating, but with any engine and the reliability therein, that reliability depends on you. What I mean is that you must follow the proper maintenance procedures for this engine (coolant procedure anyone?), and keeping the engine in fine tune helps as well. Just common sense right there.

Anything else?

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

But are you doing stop and go city driving? On the highway my 4.1 averages about 24MPG. What kind of mods do your caddies have (if any)? not just the 91' 4.9 seville.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by caddeville View Post
    But are you doing stop and go city driving? On the highway my 4.1 averages about 24MPG. What kind of mods do your caddies have (if any)? not just the 91' 4.9 seville.
    Nobody likes you. Go away!

As for mods, my '87 just happens to be tuned right, and I don't really beat on her at all. I do about 55% city, 45% highway in just about any car that I drive.

Back to your car, you huffed the poor girl, and that's why you seen ~15 mpg.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

4.5L V8....a perfectly good american built pushrod V8. Nothing spectacular here, but nothing terrible. Loads of low end torque, great throttle responce, well above average reliability, few big problems. On the other hand, there's no aftermarket support for the 4.5L, but then again, there really isn't any wide aftermarket support for any Cadillac built engine. The top end power is lacking, but then again, this is a Cadillac luxury sedan, not a Trans Am. And lastly, since it's a V8 engine mounted sideways in an engine bay that isn't very big, it can be real tough to do plugs and wires.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

I do pretty much all city driving; 75%, i've advanced the timing etc, but i heard that it will reduce the gas mileage. What RPM's does the redline start on 4.1 and 4.5 TBI?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.