no heat in cab + overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, no heat in cab + overheating in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 94 Sedan Deville w/170000+ miles on it. About a month ago I had a problem with the ...
    tntitan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 seville SLS

no heat in cab + overheating

I have a 94 Sedan Deville w/170000+ miles on it. About a month ago I had a problem with the heat sometimes working and sometimes not. One day the car overheated and I replaced the thermostat, and the heat all of a sudden started to work. Fast Forward a couple of weeks and the heat doesn't work again. Before it completly stopped working, I noticed it would blow hot air while i was moving and cold while i was standing still. Fast forward again to this week, still no heat, but i deal with it because its getting warmer(chicago area), and i also noticed that when i get to my destination that the antifreeze inside the reserve tank is bubbling and the radiator cap is steaming. I havent had an engine overheat warning while driving since i noticed the steam and bubbling, but today i looked under the hood w/ the engine running after driving about 10 miles and seen the fans werent working +(steam and bubbling from reserve). Any suggestions as to what can cause these problems at once.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: no heat in cab + overheating

My first thought reading your thread is that the system is low on coolant. When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, should find the radiator full to the top? If not either theres a leak or the system has air in it. The heater blowing cold or not warm enough generally means low fluid level. The way I fill the radiator is to raise the engine speed to apprx. 1500 rpm then fill the radiator. Holding the rpm up, and the radiator full, I reinstall the cap. Top off the recovery tank. I would also pressure test the radiator cap, making sure it holds proper pressure. Or just replace it with the proper cap. I would also pressure test the system to verify no coolant leaks. usually its more efficient to pressure test with the system almost or completely empty, you can hear the hissing from a leak rather than see the coolant dripping. Post back with what you find. The fans wont work if there is air, not antifreeze for the sensor to read. The system will boil if the radiator cap wont hold proper pressure. Water will boil at 212 at sea level , but under pressure , it wont boil till approx 220 degrees. Good luck, Bill.

tntitan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 seville SLS

Re: no heat in cab + overheating

Just came back from dealer and was informed I have a head gasket leak...
    I guess now I'm looking for a new engine, but Im doing some research 1st.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.