1993 Deville power steering pump failure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1993 Deville power steering pump failure in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My wife called me today when she got home for lunch, and said that the power steering in her car ...
    caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Thumbs down 1993 Deville power steering pump failure

My wife called me today when she got home for lunch, and said that the power steering in her car ('93 CDV) had stopped. She said that when she had gotten to the end of our street, she couldn't steer the car very well. That, and it was making some awful noises!
    I came home, popped the hood and saw the problem immediately! The first thing I saw was that the serpentine belt was half on the power steering pump pulley. The pulley was pushed out, and rubbing against the A/C condenser lines!
    I took the pump off, and the pulley and the shaft it's attached to popped right out! The inside of the pump has a bunch of metal shavings and some parts of it inside looked cracked. When I took the pump back to AutoZone, the guy tapped it on the counter and the clip that holds the shaft in came out in pieces. So I have no idea how, or why, but that clip snapped, and allowed the shaft to come out a bit.
    Oh yeah, I bought the last rebuilt PS pump on February 23rd! So it didn't even last a month before it crapped out! I asked the guy if this one would last at least a month, and he said I hope so!
    The water pump is making noises, so I'm going to change that first, along with the two radiator hoses and the T-stat before putting the "new" rebuilt power steering pump on! I have a new AC Delco water pump, so I shouldn't need to change that for a long time.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1997BlackETC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Re: 1993 Deville power steering pump failure

I'm not crazy about autozone rebuilt parts, Ive had my share of troubles with them. I generally deal with Napa now and no more problems like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    I'm not crazy about autozone rebuilt parts, Ive had my share of troubles with them. I generally deal with Napa now and no more problems like that.
    Yeah, that's probably what I should have done is gone to NAPA the first time.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Any other warning before it died? Mine squeals a bit and the last day or 2 the car has been pulling pretty hard to the right. Its either about to die on me, or my alignment went to crap.

And our NAPA just closed down haha, only autozone and a few others now lol

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

I don't know if you guys have them in the states, but up here I use Raymac parts, they are NASCAR certified for durability.

Quote Originally Posted by MachX View Post
    I don't know if you guys have them in the states, but up here I use Raymac parts, they are NASCAR certified for durability.
    No, I've never heard of them. I have a rebuilt PS pump from AutoZone on my '94 Deville, and that has worked flawlessly for over a year. So there just might have been some defect in this one.
    I did get the water pump changed...wow, what a pain!

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

I was given the wrong pump by Advance went back and got the one with the correct shaft diameter. They loaned me the puller and installer. The adapter which was a dealer only part was the problem, I spent more on that than the pump. It was avery easy job, but you do have to bleed the pump when you are done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.