Frozen Pulley
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Frozen Pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have an '89 Seville with the 4.5 engine. On the way home tonight the belt started squealing and smoke ...
    mckimjim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Frozen Pulley

I have an '89 Seville with the 4.5 engine. On the way home tonight the belt started squealing and smoke was coming out of the hood. One pulley seems to be frozen. It is towards the front of the car below the power steering pump. The manual I have does not show a good view of this. What is in this area? It looks like the AC compressor is down lower and in the middle. Is it a water pump or some kind of air pump? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: Frozen Pulley

Water pumps and air pumps don't usually sieze, but A/C compressors do. That's most likely the culprit, but it could be the tensioner pulley also. Release the belt by turning the tensioner pulley (at the top) with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar or ratchet, then try turning each pulley by hand. You can buy a shorter belt and bypass the A/C compressor to get you by until you can replace it.

I did release the tension on the belt. The alternator, power steering and tensioner pullies all turn freely. The pulley just below the power steering is frozen. I don't think this is the AC compressor but I could be wrong. It's a tight fit and I didn't have much light.

gta3mobster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville Sedan

I'm pretty sure that's the smog pump (AIR pump). If I recall correctly, the AC pump is the furthest one towards the bottom. There should be black plastic lines attaching somewhere to the pump if it's the AIR pump. The water pump pulley is on the bottom towards the firewall (you can tell by the gasket design). The black AIR pump lines run right past the power steering reservoir and down the engine (on my 90. Keep in mind, mine is MPFI, so it might be different for you).
    Make sure to verify this is correct.

How to fix it, though, I'm not sure. Maybe you could just bypass the pulley with a shorter belt? The Air Injection Reaction system isn't very important from what I've heard. My intake housing has holes for the AIR system, so you'd probably have to plug them up with corks or something if it's the same for you.

It was the air pump. Sounds much better now. Thanks for comments.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Whoa. Ok, the AC compressor pump is on the front of the engine, and bottom most. The water pump is in the middle of the engine. The air pump is above the AC pump, therefore you can't bypass it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.