My 88 Sedan Deville, HELP!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, My 88 Sedan Deville, HELP!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I'm New Here! I got a '88 Sedan DeVille 4.5 V8, power everything, non working A/C and a sunroof ...
    88_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down My 88 Sedan Deville, HELP!!!

Hi I'm New Here!
    I got a '88 Sedan DeVille 4.5 V8, power everything, non working A/C and a sunroof w/ 343,283KM on the odometer and NO rust ANYWHERE for $500CND from a wrecker I work for and the car ran great drove very nicely.
    The car was a stolen-recover that was in need of a few things.
    It needed a: Steering Column (smashed), Rear DS 1/4 window (smashed), Trunk Lid (retard didn't look for the power release so he pounded the lock out!), Power Steering Pump (sold), Drivers Seat (retard broke that too and a windshield and some other odds and ends to pass saftey inspection.
    So I got all the parts I needed got it to pass inspetion and about 4 months later the odometer read 362,480KM and then the head gasket went (i think) in the car well I was driving it it pushed out all the coolant out the exhaust, over heated and shut ITSELF off! I did run the car out of gas that same day about and hour before it all went to heck.
    NOW what do I do?
    The car is worth about $2000CND to me now, do I just put a head gasket in it and sell it? The car still runs great on 7 cylinders but will lose all of its coolant in about 10min.
    I know the motor has sleeves in it but is it best to maybe just re-build the motor and keep driving it? I can get an engine kit for the car for about $350CND, BUT I hear the sleeves are expensive! (if I need any)
    My mom loves this car and I would like to keep it.
    But I don't know if the head gasket or some thing else in the motor is NFG and not worth my time/money?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: My 88 Sedan Deville, HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 88_Caddy
    Hi I'm New Here!
    I got a '88 Sedan DeVille 4.5 V8, power everything, non working A/C and a sunroof w/ 343,283KM on the odometer and NO rust ANYWHERE for $500CND from a wrecker I work for and the car ran great drove very nicely.
    The car was a stolen-recover that was in need of a few things.
    It needed a: Steering Column (smashed), Rear DS 1/4 window (smashed), Trunk Lid (retard didn't look for the power release so he pounded the lock out!), Power Steering Pump (sold), Drivers Seat (retard broke that too and a windshield and some other odds and ends to pass saftey inspection.
    So I got all the parts I needed got it to pass inspetion and about 4 months later the odometer read 362,480KM and then the head gasket went (i think) in the car well I was driving it it pushed out all the coolant out the exhaust, over heated and shut ITSELF off! I did run the car out of gas that same day about and hour before it all went to heck.
    NOW what do I do?
    The car is worth about $2000CND to me now, do I just put a head gasket in it and sell it? The car still runs great on 7 cylinders but will lose all of its coolant in about 10min.
    I know the motor has sleeves in it but is it best to maybe just re-build the motor and keep driving it? I can get an engine kit for the car for about $350CND, BUT I hear the sleeves are expensive! (if I need any)
    My mom loves this car and I would like to keep it.
    But I don't know if the head gasket or some thing else in the motor is NFG and not worth my time/money?

Thanks for your help!
    That engine is very easy to work on and repair...get the service manuals and use the correct procedures and it is very very straight forward. The cylinder liners are loose fitted into the block so if one is damaged (highly unlikely) then it can be replaced individually. EVen if you had to scavenge a used one from another engine it shouldn't be expensive.

Get the fatory intake reseal kit and the factory head gaskets as they are designed for the wet liners and the unique sealing characteristics of the aluminum block and iron head.

Unfortunately, your question really begs "does anyone have a crystal ball that can tell me exactly what is wrong and what it will cost..." You are not going to know this until you take it apart. Honestly at that mileage and condition it hardly sounds like a car that is worth spending much money on....

88_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: My 88 Sedan Deville, HELP!!!

Well if you say it's not as bad to work on as I originaly thought.

I will get the kits you sudgested and get it to seal up and try to get rid of it.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.