Removing EGR valve - 4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Removing EGR valve - 4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've exhausted every wrench in my modest tool box - what can I use to reach the bolts on the ...
    noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Removing EGR valve - 4100

I've exhausted every wrench in my modest tool box - what can I use to reach the bolts on the EGR valve in a 4.1?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Re: Removing EGR valve - 4100

For my 4.9 I took a cheap 13mm combo wrench, torched it near the box end, bent it 90 degrees, then used a vice grips to turn it. If your 4.1 has the same EGR setup, this should work.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I have 3 suggestions that I use:

1) Crows feet wrenches (available at any auto parts store, I believe you need 13mm, but don't quote me on that).

2) Stubby wrenches (little, short, fat wrenches).

3) Distributor wrench.

I think I was able to get one of the bolts pretty easily with just a 13mm open end wrench that wasn't too long.

Can you tell me what the top nipple on the EGR solenoid connects to, if anything (looks like it just has a little filter on it in the picture on your website)? I know the bottom one is connected to the EGR.

One more thing--

If you do buy the crows feet wrenches, purchase a 1/4" drive extension, and two 1/4" to 3/8" drive adapters. I'm assuming your socket set is 3/8" drive.

You'll find that the thinner extension allows you to get closer to the EGR bolts. Depending on the manufacturer, some 3/8" drive extensions are quite fat, and hit the EGR valve body when you try to use them...not permitting you to reach the bolt with a crow's foot.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

That nipple with a filter doesn't connect to anything. It is a vent or more accurately, ambient air intake. The piece of foam is there to filter out any debris from geting ingested. The solenoid cycles between vacuum and ambient air in order to acheive a variable vacuum to be applied to the EGR valve.

Peteski

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Well, since I don't have much beyond a basic socket set, I ended up taking off the throttle body on my 4.9. After that, it was easy to get to the bolts on the EGR valve with an open-end wrench. It also gave me a good opportunity to clean out the tubes in the throttle body.

Of course, reconnecting all the vacuum lines to the throttle body was a bitch. Considering the age of my car, it should come as no surprise that the rubber connectors on several were brittle and had to be replaced. And dummy me, I couldn't figure out what happened to the line connecting the MAF sensor to the throttle body.

Fortunately, there's a '93 DeVille up the road from me and the owner was nice enough to let me look under his hood. It turned out the vacuum line had gotten turned around and was wedged down towards the intake manifold. Once I pulled it out and reconnected it properly, everything was fine.

As I've mentioned here before, Mr. Goodwrench I'm not.

On my 4.9 car, and even perhaps on this 4.1, I used to take the throttle body bolts out and just lift it up a few inches to get more wrench clearance without disconnecting anything else. Worked just fine.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Thanks guys - lots of good ideas here. I'll let you know the results.

biggeazy-e is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I replaced one today, removed TPS and it was pretty easy to get to the frontmost bolt...

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

Bought either a set of claw foot wrenches or the correct size swivel socket to solve the problem. Another solution would be the correct stubby wrench.

It is a toughie to get in there.

Bought either a set of claw foot wrenches or the correct size swivel socket to solve the problem. Another solution would be the correct stubby wrench.

It is a toughie to get in there.

A stubby chinese wrench from Costco, or the swivel socket 12 0r 13mm from Craftsman is the only way to get it out. A plain socket with a swivel will not clear the housing.

rzq6c8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

I'm going thru the same thing with the brittle connections. Where did you find the parts? I'm having a heckuva a time searching for them. Can you replace just the connector or do you have to buy the vacuum tube with the connectors already on them?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by rzq6c8 View Post
    I'm going thru the same thing with the brittle connections. Where did you find the parts? I'm having a heckuva a time searching for them. Can you replace just the connector or do you have to buy the vacuum tube with the connectors already on them?
    Sorry I didnt see this earlier. If you are trying to just replace broken plastic lines then get some rubber tube and use a bit of glue to piece it together. Works good to just slip each end of the plastic into the rubber hose and make sure no glue blocks the way.

I am not sure what to do if you need to replace actual connectors, You may have to rig something up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.