Performance Muffler - Ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Performance Muffler - Ideas? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First off let me just say hi and I think this forum is a great resource for caddy info. I ...
    Capt. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Performance Muffler - Ideas?

First off let me just say hi and I think this forum is a great resource for caddy info.

I have a 1992 sts that has one large muffler, can't remember the technical name for the exhaust system (not dual). The car has high mileage at 225,000 miles or 360,000 kilometres. I want to add a performance muffler mainly for sound but also if it will help performance great. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add one, will it throw off any balances or anything?

The one I know of right now is the Edelbrock #5519 Camaro muffler. Any other good suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Performance Muffler - Ideas?

I've heard clips of 4.9's with Borla, Flowmaster and Edelbrock. I think the Edelbrock sounded the best of those 3 by far. The other 2 were too raspy, the Edelbrock had a nice deep "musclecar" rumble to it IMO.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

I replaced my stock muffler with a Flowmaster Deltaflow Model 50. Very quiet muffler and has that Camaro sound when you rev it up.

AaronM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

hippy,
    do you by chance remember where you found those sound clips at? I would be interested in hearing them.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronM
    hippy,
    do you by chance remember where you found those sound clips at? I would be interested in hearing them.
    Thanks!
    Borlas and Flowmasters at Citation Collection They're in with the 4.9 Citation stuff, there are a couple others as well including an L67 powered Citation. Worth browsing, he does nice work.

Edelbrock at Chris's White DeVille this one is actually a 4.5. I think he may be a member here but not sure.

Capt. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Edahall I'll look into the Flowmaster Deltaflow Model 50. Hippie thanks for the links to the sounds.

I am concerned that the muffler may be a problem for my engine due to its high mileage. Any thoughts?

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

i would go with the edelbrock mine has never failed to amaze me on my car yeah it's 150 for the muffler but that's the price you might have to pay for a camaro style muffler.well worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    i would go with the edelbrock mine has never failed to amaze me on my car yeah it's 150 for the muffler but that's the price you might have to pay for a camaro style muffler.well worth every penny
    Hi,
    I have a 92 STS with the 4.9L. Is this muffler a direct fit? Also, is there alot of annoying cruising drone that makes is loud inside of the car. I want my muffler to be nice and somewhat louder on accelleration but mostly quiet while cruising. I don't want to be driving on the highway making a bunch of noise. I was looking at a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler but I havn't heard any cadillac engines with them on so I don't know how they will sound. But that Edel muffler sounds SWEET!

Hi,
    I have a 92 STS with the 4.9L. Is this muffler a direct fit? Also, is there alot of annoying cruising drone that makes is loud inside of the car. I want my muffler to be nice and somewhat louder on accelleration but mostly quiet while cruising. I don't want to be driving on the highway making a bunch of noise. I was looking at a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler but I havn't heard any cadillac engines with them on so I don't know how they will sound. But that Edel muffler sounds SWEET!
    my muffler on the highway is not droning but it can be diffecult to deal with on a long long trip. crusin around town is nice and quiet. it should be a direct fit if your car has the camaro style exhaust system not the dual muffler system that the 92 or 93? and up sevilles and eldos had.

Hi,

I have a 92 STS. It has one big muffler in the back. The muffler is 25" long and has the pipe goes in at 2.5" and dual out at 2.25".

Hi,

I have a 92 STS. It has one big muffler in the back. The muffler is 25" long and has the pipe goes in at 2.5" and dual out at 2.25".
    same thing on all the caddy's around that year, mine is the same diameter so the edelbrock will slide right on to the stock exhuast pipe when you cut it off.

Hi,
    I have a 92 STS with the 4.9L. Is this muffler a direct fit?
    I know the Camaro muffler is a popular choice for guys with L67 Bonnevilles and if it's not a direct bolt on it's damn close to it and would be nothing for a muffler shop to install which is where you want to have it done anyway. Doesn't sound near as good on a six cylinder though..............

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    I know the Camaro muffler is a popular choice for guys with L67 Bonnevilles and if it's not a direct bolt on it's damn close to it and would be nothing for a muffler shop to install which is where you want to have it done anyway. Doesn't sound near as good on a six cylinder though..............
    i heard a bonneville with a camaro style muffler on it once and it sounded great, then again i have a friend with a camaro with a 3.4 V6 and it sounds like crap. 3.8's sound great especially the monte carlo Z34 with dual exhaust flowmasters. haven't heard a caddy with flowmaster yet i would think that it wouldn't sound as good as my edelbrock does.

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    i heard a bonneville with a camaro style muffler on it once and it sounded great, then again i have a friend with a camaro with a 3.4 V6 and it sounds like crap. 3.8's sound great especially the monte carlo Z34 with dual exhaust flowmasters. haven't heard a caddy with flowmaster yet i would think that it wouldn't sound as good as my edelbrock does.
    BUT............ does it sound as good as your V-8?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    BUT............ does it sound as good as your V-8?
    nope doesn't even belong in it's class

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.