Performance Muffler - Ideas? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Performance Muffler - Ideas? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by 90devilleguy nope doesn't even belong in it's class Good answer.................
    Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Performance Muffler - Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by 90devilleguy
    nope doesn't even belong in it's class
    Good answer..............

daddyscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i just got a VORTEX muffler (for trans am "97)put on my 90 deville, muffler shop did it in 2 hours! best damn $185 i ever spent the muff was cheap!! try vortex anything else is going to sound like a bomb

RPPDHunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall
    I replaced my stock muffler with a Flowmaster Deltaflow Model 50. Very quiet muffler and has that Camaro sound when you rev it up.
    I am seriously considering a Flowmaster Deltaflow Model 50 for my 92 STS, but I am worried that it will be an endless droning sound on longer trips. So, is it nice and roaring when accelerating, then tone down when I start cruising? Or will it just be this endless droning sound while cruising on longer trips? And, does it slide right on with no problems?
    Sorry for so many questions.

RPPDHunter

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by RPPDHunter
    I am seriously considering a Flowmaster Deltaflow Model 50 for my 92 STS, but I am worried that it will be an endless droning sound on longer trips. So, is it nice and roaring when accelerating, then tone down when I start cruising? Or will it just be this endless droning sound while cruising on longer trips? And, does it slide right on with no problems?
    Sorry for so many questions.

RPPDHunter
    I wanted a muffler that flowed better for improved gas mileage as well as being quiet. The Model 50 has satisfied both of those requirements very well. There's no droning inside. In fact, I didn't notice any increase in sound levels inside while driving normally. But I can hear the difference if I open the windows and really step on it. It lets you know that there's a V8 under the hood.

Here are some sound clips that I recorded. The recorded clips sound much louder than the car actually is because I had the microphone right under the muffler. Notice that when the car is warm how quiet it is at idle.

Cold Engine
    http://www.sharemation.com/ed100mph/...y/muffler1.mp3

Warm Engine
    http://www.sharemation.com/ed100mph/...y/Muffler2.mp3

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

I thought that with Flowmaster the lower the series number the louder they got is that true???

Edahall, that sounds great, I think that is what I will use when I do mine, Is it one single muffler with dual outlet or single outlet? Also did you put a high flow cat on or no?

RPPDHunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Those recordings sound awesome! Thanks Edahall! Like Msilva954 I was wondering what the muffler setup was. Did you buy 2 mufflers with single in and dual out to maintain the 4-pipe appearance? And I was also wondering if you know what proper width is for the single in...so I can just slide it right on. Thanks again for the info.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    I thought that with Flowmaster the lower the series number the louder they got is that true???

Edahall, that sounds great, I think that is what I will use when I do mine, Is it one single muffler with dual outlet or single outlet? Also did you put a high flow cat on or no?
    hey if you want to here a older caddy with an exhaust like yours then you should check out my cardomain site. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/472581 go to the last page and be amazed.

SOOOO you're "Chris" ! That's your car I posted the link to earlier for the Edelbrock Performer......... I REALLY like the way it sounds. :coolgleam

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    SOOOO you're "Chris" ! That's your car I posted the link to earlier for the Edelbrock Performer......... I REALLY like the way it sounds. :coolgleam

yep and thanks i get that alot.

yep and thanks i get that alot.
    I've played it for several of my "traditional hot rod" buddies and they all thought it sounded sweet.............. I hope dual Perfromers will sound just as good 'cuz I can't put a crossflow under my Z34 but yours has the exact sound I've been looking for. Reminds me of my '67 GTO with the Walker Continentals on it before I built it up and put headers on it. Thanks for the "memories" !

I've played it for several of my "traditional hot rod" buddies and they all thought it sounded sweet.............. I hope dual Perfromers will sound just as good 'cuz I can't put a crossflow under my Z34 but yours has the exact sound I've been looking for. Reminds me of my '67 GTO with the Walker Continentals on it before I built it up and put headers on it. Thanks for the "memories" !
    go on my cardomain site in a few minutes i just add the sound of the exhaust from inside the car 0-75mph going up a hill

what year is your Z34, my friend wants to buy one and i love those cars, great engine and probably great sounding exhaust if you do it.

what year is your Z34, my friend wants to buy one and i love those cars, great engine and probably great sounding exhaust if you do it.
    It's a '95, should sound similar to your car, I'm dropping a 4.9 in it. I bought it with a grenaded 3.4 specifically to put the Cad motor in it. I was actually looking for a Lumina Z34 but found this Monte up by Chi Town, the price was right and since my motor is from a '95 it makes for a better swap. I'm trying to adapt functional cowl induction from a '70-'72 Chevelle SS but it has to look "factory" when it's done or I won't do it. A friend of mine does custom body work and a guy gave him a cowl hood with the nose "V'd" in but the scoop and plenum on the underside survived............ :lightbulb

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Wow that exhaust sounds great, I really love those tips too. Is there a website that shows chrome tips? Does anyone know where you can get gold tips (they go with my car).

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954

You can go to the Flowmaster website and get the specs of each series number. I do know that the Flowmaster 50 deltaflow is the quietest that they offer.

Mine is a single muffler with a single outlet. Both inlet and outlets on mine are 2 1/2". It was very easy to install myself. I just cut the old muffler off, got some neck down adapters to fit to the smaller stock exhaust pipes and some clamps. Everything looks exactly stock from behind the car. If you're interested, I can take some pictures of my installation.

I haven't changed the CAT yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.