Should I flush tranny at 52K???? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Should I flush tranny at 52K???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I would really like to hear back from some of those who wrote in this thread back in 2005 on ...
    Bdbarb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS

Re: Should I flush tranny at 52K????

I would really like to hear back from some of those who wrote in this thread back in 2005 on and see how things have turned out.

My 2003 Seville SLS is at 69700 miles and got a check engine light with code P0741, the TCC Solenoid failure. I had the code reset by Autozone and it's been a week that nothing has come back. I'm in the shop today getting the filter AND flush done. In hopes that this will prevent this code from going off again, or cause me to rebuild. I'm saving up the 2600 the transmission shop wants to do the job. I will write in later with my findings but I am in the crowd that is troubleshooting an issue before the flush. Wish me luck!

Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

God luck.

I haven't had an automatic transmission in so long it's frightening. Now I own a Caddy. When I DID have an automatic transmission, the vast majority of cars sold at the dealerships were REAR wheel drive. At the time, I was a mechanic and I was doing engine work, not transmission work.

What I do remember about automatic transmissions is this:
    Drop the pan and the sediment, flakes, chips and debris you see will stop your heart if you aren't used to seeing it.
    Transmission fluid HAD a much higher detergent action than engine oil, whether it was an added property to the oil by the oil companies or what, it cleaned things better than oil.

Got my hands cleaner than GoJo with pumice!

Back then you did NOT change the transmission fluid on high mileage cars that never saw regular routine service. It was a recipe for disaster. Let me qualify that AGAIN. I said, BACK THEN.

Fresh clean transmission fluid in a very high mileage transmission that never saw service was a way to ensure all the crud that built up over time was loosened and flushed through the new filter which would usually wind up all but clogged with crud. Suddenly seals would leak, things varnish was holding up out of the way would drop and clog things up.... It was usually a nightmare.

Harkening back to those days, I'd say that: if your transmission fluid smells burned or is severely discoloured, only get it serviced where you intend to have trans-axle service done should the bomb drop in your trans-axle. That way, they'll be the ones you go after for warranty work -- assuming you can prove it to be their fault.

To give you a clue, I don't even know if tranny fluid is still supposed to be red or not. The last time I used the stuff, we were still using Dexron II and Type F.

Wendy.

Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Thinking about this, if the systems you guys are talking about BACK flush things, whether it's safe or not, I'm inclined to say no should someone offer it, given my limited knowledge of hydraulics. Makes me shudder to think about. Putting a can with five gallons of clean fluid with an intake from the transmission cooler on it and a discharge collector can -- AFTER dropping the pan and changing the filter -- seems a safer way to go. Of course, back when I was doing engine work, I'd have said that having a home computer was a passing fancy.

=)

Wendy

newode is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have been reading through a lot of these "transmission flushing" threads. I am unconvinced there is any real valid proof that there is a benefit. As a Mechanical Engineer with 30 plus years of experience and as a Farm Mechanic working on numerous tractors, equipment and vehicles, I just don't see the engineering proof. I have had many vehicles go more then 500k miles and never flushed any of them. I've looked for studies and not found anything, also, those who tend to promote this have a monetary motive to promote doing this, cars dealers, oil shops, etc. When I have challenged them on evidence that this helps I get nothing. Also, the comments that most of the fluid is still "locked" into the transmission if a partial truth, yes in the torque converter but also yes you can drain that. Most older transmissions have at least one filter and these do a good job. So I recommend a good standard change of filter and fluid on the recommended mileage schedule.

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It's marketing and this is a capitalist country. A fool and his money are soon parted and there is a sucker born every minute. It makes our world go round. Let the suckers keep flushing and supporting our economy. The poor folks that don't have money to blow should just change fluid and filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.