Need Help On Two More Things
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Need Help On Two More Things in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all-- OK, so my car is pretty much running great (85 FWD Deville with the 4.1). I realized that ...
    awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Need Help On Two More Things

Hi all--

OK, so my car is pretty much running great (85 FWD Deville with the 4.1). I realized that what I thought was a timing mark was really paint that had chipped off, so now my timing is right on the money and the car is making good power (well, about as best as 125hp can).

I do have one last question, though. My idle speed is very stable, but it is quite low (about 500 rpms). This isn't a problem at stop lights, but I have an issue if I jerk the steering wheel in one direction very fast--my car stalls out. It's fine if I keep a little pressure on the accelerator while doing this, but I'd like to fix it. I've performed the ECM switch test, and the P/S anticipator switch is working fine; if I turn the wheel fast in park, I can hear the idle speed up too.

This also creates a problem when my A/C compressor cycles on/off even in Park, as my car dies right after the compressor decides to kick on, unless my foot is on the accelerator.

I have my min. air screw set at about 500 rpms in Park, and my TPS sensor is reading properly (I believe). Any suggestions? What speed do your cars idle at in drive and park?

Also, can anyone with an 85 Deville (85 only) take a picture of the vacuum hoses coming off of the brake booster? Just want to make sure mine are routed correctly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Callidac der is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

Re: Need Help On Two More Things

Glad to hear that all is well with the timing

Anyone else have some ideas about the idle?

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Based on the commonality of symptoms, my first guess would be the connections at the idle air control valve or the IAC valve itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's an IAC on this car. Just the ISC motor. The ISC motor works, it moves in and out when turning the wheel, just not enough. The plunger can move much farther than it actually does, so it's not an issue with the length of it.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Sorry, I had IAC on the brain, just having cleaned the one on our Camry.
    Is the ISC adjusted correctly? With it is fully retracted you should have about .030 clearance. The procedure to fully retract has been covered a few times. It's also possible the ISC motor itself has gone TU.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I assume the 4.1 is just like my 4.9; it sounds like it needs the idle relearn procedure. You know, disconnect battery for a few minutes, reconnect and idle for 15 min or so then in drive 2 min, then with heat on 2 min. It's in the owners manual anyway.

wmorrisw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hope these pics help.
    If you need any parts let me know. Mine is being parted out. Everything works but cam went. Just did a tune up. Lot of new stuff, wires, starter and alternator to begin with.

Woody
    wmorrisw2@comcast.net
    Attached Images

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

The ISC should be able to fully adjust the idle speed by pressing the plunger against the throttle lever. On my 85 Eldorado there is no relearn procedure for ISC. Only adjustment is to adjust the minimum idle screw, then adjust the ISC plunger to stay clear from the throttle lever. Once those two thigns are done, the ECM should fully control the idle speed.

You should go into the output cycling mode in the diag mode and see if the ISC cycles between full extension and retraction. When fully extended, the ISC should move the throttle lever by several degrees.

Peteski

It does...that's what is confusing. I'm going to reset everything today to factory specs (i.e. TPS and min air screw) and see if it helps.

Hi all--

The TPS was a bit off (it was reading 1 degree of throttle at min. air). I reset it to 0.5V at min air so that it would read 0. Idle is now perfect. If your idle is too slow on a car equipped with the Ht4100, perhaps this is your problem.

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

Go to Advance Auto parts and spend two bucks for the code reader/timing set jumper tooll. Insert it in the ALDL connector witht the engine off, start the engine, and see if it says "set timing" on the Info Center. Time it and it will be right.

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

LISLE makes the tool. It goes in the A&B slots in the ALDL. It will be the best money you've ever spent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.