serious help needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, serious help needed in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok i have a 1992 sls. was driving down the road then tried to get onto freeway. got up to ...
    thepokerprofessor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

serious help needed

Ok i have a 1992 sls. was driving down the road then tried to get onto freeway. got up to 50 then started to slug, stepped on it......it died!!!!!
    I have done a static timing check looks close(i am leaning toward a skipped timiong chain) i have fuel into the intake can smell it and pressure looks good. i have spark more than once it sparks the whole time you crank it. It will kinda want to start if you floor it, but it dies before you can release the key. no codes either, did the warm off button thingy. i also changed the fuel filter. the cap and rotor i cleaned off, but those wont cause a car to just quit, this is the biggest issue it just stopped running.... can anyone help, if i get this up the best answer i will try to get them a gift carx to somewhere for the help. thanks. And if you can figure it out and it not be the timing belt i can send you my wife for a night too............lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pckstude is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: serious help needed

does the engine turn over smoothly? or does it backfire, or seem to fire against itself, as in turning over then it slows down because one of the cylinders fired? If it turns over smoothly and just seems to fire once in awhile it probably isn't the timing belt. How many miles are on the car? A crack in ur distributer cap can cause strange things to happen, and u may not even be able to see the crack with ur naked eye. Of course u can always put the engine crank pulley on top dead center for the no. 1 cylinder and see if the rotor is at the number one post on the cap. This will tell u for sure whether or not it's ur timing belt. I can't help u past that as I don't know much about the caddilacs. Good luck, and u can keep ur wife. I already have one, and one is enough! lol

Callidac der is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

Sparks the entire time you are turning it over? If this is the case you have ignition issues. you should get 1 spark from each wire every time the engine makes 1 revolution. My question is.................does the 93 have a distributor? If so remove the cap and have a look. If it has no dizzy then its not within my abilitys.

Also the ignition mod failure mode is to just quit. The module can be removed and tested at some auto parts places.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

All 4.9s have distributors. Can you describe the symptoms better? If the engine "pops" when cranking, you likely have a bad timing chain (not belt) or timing gear. This is rare, however, on 4.9s.

Are you getting enough fuel pressure at the rail? You need about 35 psi to even get the injectors to work, so if your pressure gauge reads 25, you're going to likely be in need of a fuel pump.

ok heres the update, i changed the IGN mod, static time is dead on so i ruled out the timing chain, replaced the fuel press regulator, i have 150psi in front 4 cyls(with that i didnt go to the back)i replaced the PCM(no change but different codes. the only code the car had at the original problem was a eo31, which is a shorted map sensor circuit. So i ordered a map sensor. Now can anyone help me out from here? I am desperate, i have spent the last 4 days trying to diagnosis this issue and am at my witsend.. Thanks from minnesota

ohh yea i have 45 psi at the rail for fuel pressure i had that all the time i meant to put 48 not 28

Callidac der is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

Is it still sparking "the whole time" you crank it?

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

If you check the forum, you'll see others are having the same problem, and believe me I had it once in a 1993 Deville and I had to get rid of the car. I think there is an inherent defect in the 4.9 and Cadillac refuses to own up to it. And it is apparently the same thing--no codes !! Good luck !! It appears around 60-80k It is dreadful !!

Yagos is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hmm, i am no mechanic or anything of the sort.
    but could it maybe be the Cat.
    My car did a similar thing and it turned out the Cat was blocked

Just a suggestion

HUF
    HUF is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Something tells me your problem is inside of distributor. Could you please post the picture of your wife?
    lol

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

OP,
    Have you checked the fuses for the fuel injectors? Should be in the fuse box under the hood.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.