Requesting 4.5 89' Info
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Requesting 4.5 89' Info in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all! I'm new to the forums, and already have a question I was considering purchasing a 89' Fleetwood Caddy, ...
    NelsonCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Requesting 4.5 89' Info

Hi all!

I'm new to the forums, and already have a question

I was considering purchasing a 89' Fleetwood Caddy, and there are some things I wanted to know (well, lot's of them actually).

The standard things would be good to know - horsepower and all that jazz. But, I also was hoping to find out where to look for schematics on the engine to know how they have things laid out.

If anyone can give me any information on the 4.5 from the 89' Fleetwood, please reply to this. Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '08 G6 GT

Thumbs up Re: Requesting 4.5 89' Info

I think youll be pleased with it, i cant help you out with scematics and such but i can tell you that ive had my '89 Sedan Deville for almost 3 years and i love it, the engine is strong, perfect for tooling around town and its a great highway engine, just floats along, i know its a 273ci horizontally apposed 90degree V8 engine putting out about 180HP give or take and 240lbs. ft.,just take a look at the owners manual if you can its all there. hills are no match for its 8cyl. it climbs them like it were just coasting along. I am overjoyed with mine, its what made me fall in love with cadillac, and its worth pumping a bit of money into, its cadillacs best engine behind the 4.9 and northstar which seem to be tied for 1st in that category, but the only thing the 4.9 has over the 4.5 is a few more cubic inches and some more power really. Good luck.

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

Re: Requesting 4.5 89' Info

im pretty sure in 1990 GM boosted the HP on the 4.5 to 180. prior to that year it was lower.

other than that detail, i couldnt agree more. great engine!

SouthwestRebel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (83k miles)

Hi there! Your 89 Fleetwood is mostly the same as my 89 Deville when it comes to everything, except interior of course. It has 155hp and a 4-speed transmission. The engine has only two injectors instead of eight like the 90 and newer models. I recommend ACDelco and Wix as brands for filters (air, oil, breather, fuel). I used to be a Quaker State 10w30 user. And while I might go back and try the higher mileage formula, I've currently switched to Valvoline MaxLife 10w30 (Wix oil filter) and have noticed an improvement in startup and idle. I recently spent $900 on converting the a/c to r134. While I didn't like the bill, since it's practically the trade-in value of the car, it was worth it. Make sure you get a radiator flush every 2-3 years, and get one now if it needs one. I think you'll enjoy the car. Make sure you've got a mechanic you can trust, and that knows the car, if you don't want to go to the dealership. Enjoy the car, from a time when Cadillac (not Lexus) meant "you have arrived"!

NelsonCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks!

Thanks a lot guys! Seems like it will be running pretty well for me then. If there is anything else I should know, feel free to let the info come in. Otherwise, thanks for the great info =)

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '08 G6 GT

im sorry, youre right chuck, i realize i was looking at the specs in my '90 fleetwood hearse (R.I.P.) owners man. Correction: 155HP in '89

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.