Updated spammer info - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
How to report spammers Discussion, Updated spammer info in Registration Problems/Site Related Issues; Oh wow, my bad. I just rebooted my modem, and sure enough the IP address changed. I thought that, that ...
    Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Report multi-post spammers here

Oh wow, my bad. I just rebooted my modem, and sure enough the IP address changed. I thought that, that stayed the same. Maybe I was confusing it with the MAC address?

KOT

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

MAC addresses never change on their own. You can clone them to pretend you are another device.
    The public IP on most broadband connections seem to change either weekly or monthly.

I vote NO to the IP ban method.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Salvatoregranger, Troll?

Banned another mega-post spammer (41 in 35 minutes) this AM. Same IP as the preceding two ...........

Hmmm, how about if we banned that IP address for a week? Seeing how IT came in 3 times under the same IP address. Will that be an option to look into?

What of the other spammers, were their IP address the same?

KOT

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Most of those spammers are in China. So it's not like any of you guys have to worry about inheriting one of their IP addresses.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Oh wow, my bad. I just rebooted my modem, and sure enough the IP address changed. I thought that, that stayed the same. Maybe I was confusing it with the MAC address?

KOT
    Everytime I have rebooted my dsl modem, it picks up the same ip address. I assume for it to change, someone else would have to pick up that ip while mine is down. The only time I usually get a different ip on my dsl is if it is down for significant amounts of time, which has never happened. My cable at the office goes down all the time, but we pay for a static ip.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Most of those spammers are in China. So it's not like any of you guys have to worry about inheriting one of their IP addresses.

----------

Everytime I have rebooted my dsl modem, it picks up the same ip address. I assume for it to change, someone else would have to pick up that ip while mine is down. The only time I usually get a different ip on my dsl is if it is down for significant amounts of time, which has never happened. My cable at the office goes down all the time, but we pay for a static ip.
    Since you deal with dsl and cable. Which do you think is faster? By downloading the same file on both internets. I ask, because my g/f has cable and speedtest.org says her speed is around 18mbps. My dsl is at 5.5mbps. However, the other day at her place around 2pm on a Tuesday it took me nearly 50 minutes to download a 171Mb file. When I arrived home around 7pm that night. I downloaded the same file from the same website and it took me less than 4 minutes. I know there's a difference between Mb and MB, but when I am comparing two internets with the same file, MB and Mb shouldn't matter.

KOT

Did that several times, heck I even unplugged the modem for several minutes.

I know it's not relevant. But it's a Zoom and I am able to connect to it at 230mbps via wifi N on my Mac Mini, tested it when I had the cable internet installed. But at my home I am using a Netgear, would love to have it over my g/f's, connected at 54mbps using N on wifi.

I was told that it was peak-time when I was downloading. I hope to try it again at a later time though.

Yeah, speedtest.net lol

KOT

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Cable modems are more likely to "appear" slow when the neighborhood (literally, other customers on your same block) are all busy on-line at the same time. Early evening is the worst time usually. Cable modems share a local "pipe" before it joins up with the cable company's larger "pipe" at their offices. That local pipe can become congested if everyone attached is downloading at the same time.

DSL is less likely to suffer this constraint as you don't join a shared pipe until you get to the telephone company site where they "should" have enough pipe/bandwidth for all.

Conversely, any cable company could over-design their network to avoid this issue, and a telco could under-design their network to create the issue.

In general, cable can support higher speeds than DSL if the company builds it right.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    My home dsl seems more reliable than my office cable. It also depends on all the connections between you and the server.

Cable Internet does have the best performance when everything is right. The problem is that doesn't happen very often in my experience.

Not that it makes a hoot - but the Verizon DSL here is clean and fast (for what it is). EXCEPT when mice decide to make a home in the 90 skrillion wire phone cable pedestal at the north end corner of our gravel road. It took 2 line techs most of a day to clean up the mess and splice it all back together. (but we got a cutesy new steel box out of the job...........)

They're back... *spooky music*

cesaryen711

KOT

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...earchid=813857

I don't know if this is a new type of a spammer, or just an idiot.

KOT

Clueless poster - Ranger nailed it an hour or so ago.

"cesaryen711" was another bot. Gonzo.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

kimberlywatkins828 appears to be another one - restating other people's posts in multiple threads.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.