default subscription to thread once you reply
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Help Desk - Site News and Site Problems ONLY Discussion, default subscription to thread once you reply in Registration Problems/Site Related Issues; this got brought up in another thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3050829 i posted in post #20 that i thought just replying to a ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

default subscription to thread once you reply

this got brought up in another thread
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3050829

i posted in post #20 that i thought just replying to a thread should subscribe you to it
    is that not the case?
    i thought that it was
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: default subscription to thread once you reply

It depends on how you have it in your settings.

If you go to the settings page, on the left under settings, general settings, in the middle under messaging and notification, there is a setting for "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" Next to it is a drop down. I believe the default is "Do not subscribe" The next one is "Through my control panel only" which will keep any thread you post in (or select "suscribe to this thread" from the "cadillac discussion tools" in the header of the topic) in your subscriptions on the settings page. The next three options will put them in your subscriptions and send you an email when there is a new post.

right, but what is the default for new members?
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I am pretty sure "Do not subscribe" is the default. Whenever I join a new forum, that seems to be the default.

hmm... i that makes a lot of sense now ... and gives reason as to why lots of newbs don't come back and reply ... they don't know that they've been replied to and probably can't find their thread if they aren't keeping track of it hourly/daily

quite so. Almost no one uses the subscriptions feature. I couldn't live without it.

yeah me too... i guess i must have made those settings back in 2007 when i joined

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I was just reading a new member post in the past Cadillac section and this came up again.

He posted a question and got the responses he was looking for and was surprised to see them when he logged back on. He thought he would be informed if anyone responded to his thread.

It seems that Chris has a good idea that for new members the default should be automatic subscribe at least for threads started?

We seem to be losing a lot of potentially active members because they figure we didn't respond to them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ed-1973-a.html

i'm pretty sure that the default behavior is to subscribe you to posts that you reply to but the email notification is not set by default

i could be wrong but that's what sounds right to me ... wouldn't make sense if you didn't get subscribed after replying

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i'm pretty sure that the default behavior is to subscribe you to posts that you reply to but the email notification is not set by default

i could be wrong but that's what sounds right to me ... wouldn't make sense if you didn't get subscribed after replying
    That sounds right but that should be changed then. I shudder every time I read someone say they didn't know anyone responded to them. I wonder how many people post a question or photo of their car and think we are just too stuck up to reply to them.

We all go in and respond and welcome new members, it would be nice that they know it and feel inportant to our group. It is easy enough to opt out if they want but that would be the way I would set it up, that they would have to opt out of emails.

I think it's the default in the vbulletin because otherwise you could end up with a new user getting a ton of emails and thinking it was being spammed by the forum

i think a welcome email explaining this kind of stuff and pointing you to the settings might be better than just making the change

it's kind of like a lowest common denominator problem where you end up making things more annoying for those that know what they're doing to accommodate those that don't

not to mention most only check their email when they are expecting one.

i always love it when i send someone an email and get a response weeks or even months later

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.