Supporting member priority
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By hueterm
Help Desk - Site News and Site Problems ONLY Discussion, Supporting member priority in Registration Problems/Site Related Issues; I'm sure a bitch fest will now ensue after this, but is there anyway to set the server up so ...
    hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Supporting member priority

I'm sure a bitch fest will now ensue after this, but is there anyway to set the server up so that nonpaying members are kicked off when the server load is too high?

In my opinion, supporting members should have priority access to the site.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Supporting member priority

You have a very valid point. That being said, I'm not sure if that's good for PR.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I absolutely agree!!!! I just renewed my Platinum subscription this morning and have seen the dreaded server busy message. Very frustrating to be temporarily locked out and certainly not what I'm paying for. AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! Ok, I feel a little better for the time being.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Interestingly, I have never seen this mythical busy page.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i always have thought this hueterm ... especially since the busy page urges you to become a supporting member ... i always think to myself "but i am a supporting member!!"

lately the busy pages seem to go away pretty quickly though
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I asked the makers of vBulletin if there was a way to achieve this way back in 2007:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...y-quot-Message

Unfortunately, there's no way without a modification. A modification was made for early versions of vBulletin 3 - but it didn't even last until the later versions (stopped working). I'm sure there's a way to do it - but it would need to be programmed into the code - not something I can do.

I agree - supporters should not see this message.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

figures ... you would think that they would have built this in by now
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

If it were strictly a pay site, the supporting members could post at will with no freeloaders to clog the server. On the other hand, how long would the forum last before extinction? I'm relatively new here and will probably become a supporting member, soon. I still believe it best for all to have access... whether free or paid.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by ronm01 View Post
    If it were strictly a pay site, the supporting members could post at will with no freeloaders to clog the server. On the other hand, how long would the forum last before extinction? I'm relatively new here and will probably become a supporting member, soon. I still believe it best for all to have access... whether free or paid.
    It would be terminally ill the instant current membership prices became mandatory. Plenty of forums busier than this one have good response times and make a profit without charging $5/month dues so the performance can be fixed without that. Focusing on increasing revenues instead of cutting fat and fixing problems that contribute to bad performance sounds a lot like our dysfunctional government.

That said, I believe the price for paid membership is all wrong from a revenue standpoint. Advertising revenues are relative to number of visits/pages. Forcing current dues on members would drive away so many there would be a net loss. Conversely many members contribute more than they get from the site and others contribute as much as they get. The current membership costs are not a value for any of those members and it is those members that produce the content that gives the forum its value. There needs to be some lower price points for membership because you are currently getting zero from people who would be willing to contribute a lesser amount. But come on now, $5/month for nothing of value except less ads? Clearly the forum doesn't receive $5/month per member from ad revenues and clearly operating the forums doesn't cost anywhere near $5 per month per member after a generous profit is taken UNLESS its not being mismanaged.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Guys, have you read the whole thread?

You both are recent additions to the site. For a long time we were getting a page telling us the site traffic was too high and to try again later. When this was an issue we were asking that if only certain amount of traffic were allowed, why couldn't paying members get priority. Never was it suggested that membership was required only that those who already pay get to use the site before non paying members at high usage times.

The thread is over a year old because we no longer have the problem here.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Guys, have you read the whole thread?

You both are recent additions to the site. For a long time we were getting a page telling us the site traffic was too high and to try again later. When this was an issue we were asking that if only certain amount of traffic were allowed, why couldn't paying members get priority. Never was it suggested that membership was required only that those who already pay get to use the site before non paying members at high usage times.

The thread is over a year old because we no longer have the problem here.
    Sorry.

But my second paragraph, while off topic, is a suggestion for increasing revenues. Ultimately, all other things being equal, any past and future slowness will be in direct proportion to the capacity of the server and bandwidth which are in turn directly related to their costs. There are people who would contribute but not the current going rate. For example I wouldn't give a cent for any of the "perks" that come with being a supporting member, but would "donate" a smaller amount for what is offered free.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

As of 4 PM, EDT there were 331 members and 2188 guests in this site. You might go back in time and read old threads on speed, privileges, ranking, ......... any sort of data you want ........ and bounce that against the number of times the CF hardware racks were updated. Direct member income is nowhere near the high priority that some would believe. Income from those 2188 guests IS - advertising-wise ......... and the advertisers who stay in CF for years have done very well.

You should see the member/guest load in here on Friday and Saturday !!!

Yes, different membership levels cost different dues, but with that comes a few "I'm special" perks (Woop-de-doo). There is no prodding or coercion to become a member on some level - but many so choose.

EDIT: At 4:12 there were 329 members and 2216 guests in here - the site is dynamic - and wait 'till 6 PM Pacific time ...........

3rdcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8 AWD
    How do I become a dues paying member? I cannot get to the member page.....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Open either your profile or settings. Go to paid subscriptions and follow the levels of membership. PayPal works.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.