Is this a forum??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Help Desk - Site News and Site Problems ONLY Discussion, Is this a forum?? in Registration Problems/Site Related Issues; So I wanted to point something out about this forum. Ive been apart of many different forums not just AUTO ...
    Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Is this a forum??

So I wanted to point something out about this forum. Ive been apart of many different forums not just AUTO related and I have to say this particular forum is not very user friendly. I know the worst thing you can do is god forbid post a thread about something that has been talked about in the past. I always do searches for specific topics and Ive noticed a trend...Most threads never get answered. So when people say DO A SEARCH, you stumble across posts that go unanswered leaving a continuous cycle of unhelpful posts. So whats the deal, is everyone just not worried or want to be bothered? Or am I missing the rich information on this site? Is it a "Cadillac" thing because this is my first. I'm sure Im going to get flamed for this, but Im not worried. There is nothing better than a "family" like forum that genuinely likes to help each other because we share the same love for a car. Call me crazy but I call it how I see it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Is this a forum??

Well, sorry you feel that way.... Got pictures of your 1990 Deville?
    Cheer up, it ain't all that bad

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

I opened up a new thread when I first got the car with pictures. Im not trying to start any problems I just would like to see more of a group feel.

Doug99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Crimson Pearl w/ Black Top

I don't know about a Group Feel , How about a Group Hug?

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Well, here's a tip for better search, try google to find threads in the forum. Sometimes the forum search does not work very well and google always finds something that is buried deep in the forum.

All you have to do is putting "site:cadillacforums.com " before your search keyword, of course without quotation marks.

I know what you're feeling, since I see a lot of "do a search" posts, but people who are saying that really knows that the topic is talked before, and very well covered. It might be discussed numerous times before, like the gas door / trunk popping open when the battery is weak.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    Well, here's a tip for better search, try google to find threads in the forum. Sometimes the forum search does not work very well and google always finds something that is buried deep in the forum.

All you have to do is putting "site:cadillacforums.com " before your search keyword, of course without quotation marks.

I know what you're feeling, since I see a lot of "do a search" posts, but people who are saying that really knows that the topic is talked before, and very well covered. It might be discussed numerous times before, like the gas door / trunk popping open when the battery is weak.
    Really? When my wife got home the other day, the trunk was popped open. She closed it and when I got home 2 hours later I jumped in and drove to the hardware store and back home.
    No sign of a weak battery.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

I've been reading and contributing to this forum off and on for 5 years. There have been times when it's been terse and cold, and a couple of questions I had went unanswered, but overall the information gleaned here has made up for it many times over.
    It's important to remember that many of the gurus here are current or ex-Cadillac technicians, and most have spent the day having their @ss chewed by a grumpy service manager, dealing with whining customers, working against a rate clock, cracking knuckles on cold steel, getting gas and oil dripped in the face, etc. They give of their expertise here without compensation, other than our respect and appreciation. One thing they don't want to do is have their time wasted, or write the same response to the same question day after day. It's a brand new problem to you. To them, it may be the hundredth time they've heard it this week.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This whole thread really belongs down in the "Site Discussion" Forum.

No one ever reads the Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar or Cadillac Tech Tips down in Discussions: 99.99% of the repetitive questions asked by someone who signed up last night are answered in those two databases: Yes, you have to search and do homework. No, most people who jump in and out will not do the research: it's instant gratification. The Administrator needs to insert a disclaimer which says "By checking this box I certify that I have searched CF for my problem and there is nothing found so I need to start a new thread." Fat chance. .......and, a point well taken: Practically no one ever comes back and posts "I fixed it with such-and-such spit and pins."

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Well I don't have issues on this forum, I think it is a great place. As noted sometimes there are swells of activity and sometimes dips.
    I don't mind answering the same questions over and over but bear a few things in mind.
    Your car is 21 production years old, there are fewer out there and even fewer enthusiasts. Some areas are very active and fun and some are not.
    I check all new topics daily, but to be honest I shy away from some that I know I have answered time and time again.
    I sometimes pop in to make sure someone has directed folks to good answers but with limits on my time....well.
    This forum is better than most I have seen, although sometimes people do lack follow up.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Most threads never get answered.
    I find just the opposite to be true. That said, if I don't have an answer, I usually don't respond.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Though I may not know the most about the cars in general, in the RWD forum when someone asks a question, rather than a generic "USE TEH SEARCHZQ!#@#!R!@#$!#!#!" I tend to be one who will hunt for someone and post links to relevant threads in response.

Not everyone is computer savvy, or has ever been part of a forum, and I think a lot of us forget that. This site, while FULL of technical information for nearly every Cadillac, is great. But that's also its problem: it's FULL of information. It's hard to sift through.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I try not to put something on a thread when I have nothing to contribute.

I really dislike people who have a problem and run a long thread, then never come back and put a resolution on it. I'm thinking of the guy who's car wouldn't move (couple of weeks ago, think he was in Ca), I don't think he ever posted what the problem was.

When I had an electrical problem I found several threads with the identical symptoms...none had a resolution!

One of the problems with search is people have to put idiotic titles on their thread; help! , new Caddy, got a problem, etc., if they put a real title on it it would be easier to do a search.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

That's true. Maybe we should have some sort of system that lets posters edit the titles of threads with a little thing that notes [RESOLVED] or not.

I can't say I fault people with thread titles though, some of them just don't know what the problem is or how to get to it or anything.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I have actually considered editing titles in the forums I moderate to be more informative, but then the OP would probably not find them and repost.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

One thing we request on a tech forum I moderate on is that people use the color tags and post the fix in red.
    Such as:

replaced the blower motor and it is now fixed

I also link to threads I believe would be helpful to the OP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.