Colors of forum - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Help Desk - Site News and Site Problems ONLY Discussion, Colors of forum in Registration Problems/Site Related Issues; Originally Posted by repenttokyo 1 - the page jump is still at the bottom of threads - it never went ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Colors of forum

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    1 - the page jump is still at the bottom of threads - it never went away. can you post a screenshot of what you see at the bottom of threads?
    Here's what I see at the bottom of threads. Maybe this has something to do with IE7 vs. IE8? I don't have the "Compatibility View" thing as far as I can tell.

I changed my zoom to 75% to make the image a bit smaller. Since the forum will resize it (poorly - another fantastic new feature), it may be hard to see. The full size image is here.

Speaking of image resizing, the only other forum I visit that automatically resizes images allows you to view them full size by clicking on them. As far as I can we can't do that here, which is annoying, since the forum's auto resizing turns my 19" monitor into about a 15" monitor.

2 - the forum does highlight new threads in exactly the manner you described. threads with new posts are bolded. Do you not see this?
    I've never had it display that way in the ~3 years I've been coming to this site. Here's an example of how it looks for me (again, full size image is here.):

And here's a shot showing the Search Results page and how the formatting is all hosed up. For some reason everything stacks up on the left size of the page, as though it thinks my monitor is only 2" wide. Full size image is here.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    you guys seem to be either showing your age or a lack of being willing to learn something new. people peek over my shoulder all the time and comment on how good this forum looks. its features are more in line with other forums that i have been using. and i am sure it will get better with time.
    There's nothing new to learn. I have yet to see any new features, it's just a clumsy new look with some features missing.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I'm using firefox. The reply buttons are on the bottom right of the post. Right under that is the page jump then the "quick navigation" drop-down window.

Still get bothered by the colors though.
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

AAIIC - you have to set the threads to "read" status inorder to see them all change.

Top right corner - Cadillac Forums Tools - Mark This Forum Read.

Then only the topics with new posts will be bolded the next time you visit.

As for the search results - I use Firefox, which is a standards compliant browser, and my search results display completely normally.

AAIIC - you have to set the threads to "read" status inorder to see them all change.

Top right corner - Cadillac Forums Tools - Mark This Forum Read.

Then only the topics with new posts will be bolded the next time you visit.
    Do I have to do that every time I visit? I've never had to do that on any of the other sites I visit (which also use vBulletin), so I still don't understand why this site would be any different.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Do I have to do that every time I visit? I've never had to do that on any of the other sites I visit (which also use vBulletin), so I still don't understand why this site would be any different.
    yes you do. there are actually quite a few sites that use the upgraded vbulletin that require you to do this. miata.net is a good example.

the old vbulletin didn't require it, but many of the new installations do for some reason.

it's a pain in the ass, but that's how it works now, at least until the option is changed.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok #1 - DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER - use a modern browser (vBulletin has lots of problems with older tech browsers - IE we're looking at you!)
    and 2 - if you used a modern browser you could use a custom style to help with the colors problem (i'm working on one now go here to test them out if you wish)
    edit: i'm giving up on the style thing (for now) - it's functional but will take way too much time to make it perfect - let me know what you think if you try it out though
    and 3 - Sal said recently that there's a newer version of vBulletin that the forum will be switching to this winter, so he's probably not going to put much effort in fixing the little problems we've got now since it will all have to be re-done again when the new version of vBulletin is installed
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I personally think the colors are fine. Maybe it's time to update the logo/header banner?

Someone mentioned http://forum.miata.net/vb/ as a vbulletin forum they like. That's productive, any other vbulletin forums users like?

All of the usability notes are a whole 'nother ball of wax

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    you guys seem to be either showing your age or a lack of being willing to learn something new. people peek over my shoulder all the time and comment on how good this forum looks. its features are more in line with other forums that i have been using. and i am sure it will get better with time.
    The people peeking over your shoulder are no taste, colorblind goobers...

there are actually quite a few sites that use the upgraded vbulletin that require you to do this. miata.net is a good example.
    It doesn't look to me like miata.net is using the upgraded vbulletin - they're on 3.8.5. This forum is the only I visit that has "upgraded" to 4.x.x.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I just read this whole thread from the beginning and no where does anyone mention why we were switched to this new format, is the reason in another thread?
    I also haven't read "This new format is GREAT, wish we would've switched years ago" or anything remotely positive. I do not care for this new "look" be it for colors or features that are better or worse or just buttons in a different location. Maybe I am showing my age and lack of computer savvy but I don't feel good about this change. Change and progress are good for most products and services but not at the expense of quality. I'm not sure what forum group this new format would best represent but it sure isn't a Cadillac forum, it feels cheap, generic and cookie cutter to me. It's like they used on of those "Build your own web site programs at Costco for $19.95, just fill in the blanks".
    The proof will be in the pudding, if site visits decline is not just me and Whistler.

I'll bet if you turn this "New Format" over, it says, Made in China
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

the switch was an upgrade of the forum software (vBulletin), i would guess it would be for security reasons along with new features (possible admin/mod features)

personally i don't care for the color scheme, but it's not that big of a deal to me

there was a forum posting http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iscussion.html about this over a month ago
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

just an afterthought, but:
    websites aren't static and evolve
    as humans we're resistant to change (inherently)
    you'll notice with sites that have communities that whenever anything changes people speak up about how they liked the old way better and the new way sucks
    (facebook added the news feed, new versions of digg, etc - this happens all the time those are just big time examples that pop to my mind)
    change is inevitable and being able to adapt to change is a great ability that some humans are better at than others

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    It doesn't look to me like miata.net is using the upgraded vbulletin - they're on 3.8.5. This forum is the only I visit that has "upgraded" to 4.x.x.
    regardless of which version it is, you still have to manually mark forums as read. it switched to that format about 6 months ago or so.

looks like bimmernut just went over to the dark side too.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/forum...0-5-Series-BMW

double?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.