Big Midwest Meet! Des Moines, Iowa -- May 18-19 2007 -- Porky's Diner -- Track Time! - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Great Lakes Discussion, Big Midwest Meet! Des Moines, Iowa -- May 18-19 2007 -- Porky's Diner -- Track Time! in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Ok guys!! WE HAVE A GO ON PORKY's!! Just got the call from the owner! We have a couple options ...
    nickc50310 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS

Re: Midwest meet in Spring, '07

Ok guys!! WE HAVE A GO ON PORKY's!! Just got the call from the owner!

We have a couple options here.

Heres the origional plan:
    Meet at 12pm in old Target lot for motorcade
    Motorcade leaves at 12:30 to go to Porky's
    Have a group lunch at 1:30 pm
    Hang out till 4 or 5 at Porkys and have some brew ha ha!
    This plan has already been confirmed with the owner of Porky's. We can bring as many people as will show!

Heres an alternative option that he gave me- I LIKE THIS IDEA!
    They are having an Elvis impersonation show that night- THEY WILL BE PACKED!! HUGE!!
    If we want to come in at 4 or 5 they will reserve as many spots as we need. We could totally dominate car night with our caddies. If its nice, there will be litterally hundreds of people there. How cool would that be to have all our caddies on display for the masses? On top of that they will have ALOT of ladies around an plenty of booze! if we took this route, we could just go to a local bar after Porky's, probably around 11 or 12. If we want to party after the bars are closed we have my house within a mile or two! I think this would be the coolest idea. We would need an exact car count by May 12th for this plan so he knows how many spots to block. If we went this route then saturday during the day would could either just hang out or hit the links or do something else.

Let me know what you guys prefer. Heres a link for Porky's. look at the car night pics!! They usually get so busy that they have cops directing traffic! CAR NIGHT IS HUGE IN THIS AREA!

http://www.porkysdiner.com/

Heres a map of the local area with landmarks. Sorry, it was made in paint rather hastily!

Let me know what you guys think! John Ill call you tonight.

Dont worry about anyone giving you shit at the meet. People hatin on anyones Caddy will get mopped up pretty quickly by myself and/or my friends. Im sure we got some big dudes around her also! Im sure Brent can bust some heads! What Im sayin is dont worry about people at car night giving you any problems if we take that route.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Booyeah!

Flyin-Ryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Yeah booya is right! Thanks to those who are working on this!

I do like the second plan a lot but if we want the lot to ours selves the 1st is good too. Tough call

kfx
    kfx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

Count me in, I already have this in my calendar, looks like a blast. My 03 cts is pretty stock and I don't know how much I'll be able to do to it between now and May, but I would luv to come out and see some of the sick things that you all have done to your rides.

I've only been on this forum a couple weeks and I'm already havin a blast talkin to you guys, would be great to meet f2f. I luv to golf (translate: semi-hacker) so that would fun to do on Sat.

Just an FYI (not a throw-down), us WI boys have mutated livers from generations of hardcore consumption, so I hope you guys are ready to partaaay

I'm more than willin to find my own hotel room, but was just wondering if there is a particular hotel everyone was planning on booking?

kfx

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

kfx,

There is a Super 8 that's less than a mile from the car show site. Sounds like everyone wants this hotel as the hotel of choice. We'll eat dinner together at a famous local restaurant, rather than a national chain restaurant. We'll have a great time!

JRau in central Iowa

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Sounds great! This'll be a blast.

EDIT: hey, this makes my post count 2..420

Quote Originally Posted by Benzilla View Post
    Sounds great! This'll be a blast.

EDIT: hey, this makes my post count 2..420

speaking of which- hope youre ready!! hehe, i dont smoke much but ill have some quality poopoo around for you guys and ill get down with yas at some point!

Oh yeah... I'm ready. It'll be fun.

billytheshoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Eldorado

I would drive down for that, Let me know when things sound more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by billytheshoe View Post
    I would drive down for that, Let me know when things sound more specific.

You in for race night?? I want to race an Eldo REALLY bad!!

Heres my thoughts on the meet- Were getting close to pulling the trigger on this plan. I will take Friday off work. people are OK to arrive at my house anytime Friday to hang out and what not.

Friday-
    Leave for cedar falls to race at 3pm
    meet at hotel at 4:30 pm in CF
    Get food- probably fast food
    head to race track at about 5:45pm
    race until they close or we decide to leave
    head to some bars in Cedar falls
    from there who knows on Friday! LOL

Not everyone has to go to Cedar Falls. We will have a block of rooms lined up for friday in both Des Moines and CF. If you want to go but not race Im sure you could ride up to CF with one of us that are racing. I might have my brother drive my Dad's Slade so we should have plenty of seats.

Saturday-
    Youre on your own for breakfast
    Meet at 1pm for motrocade
    motorcade leaves at 1:15 pm
    arrive at porkys at about 1:40pm
    have a group lunch at 2:15pm
    3:30- go outside and look around at cars
    stay at porkys as long as you want- people arrive for the car night around 5 or 6 usually. This night will have 100s of people there and Im sure they would like seeing our cars. Leave when you want.
    We could meet for dinner around 8;30 if you guys want or some people can stay at Porky's if they want
    Go to a bar/club at 10 or 10:30
    Stay at the bar until 2am for last call
    head to my house or someones hotel room to party more. Strip club or after hours club is also a possibilty at this point. both stay open until 5 or 6 and are BYOB.

Sunday-
    get brunch at Granite CITY at 11:30am
    Shoot a round of golf at about 2pm or people can leave or just hang out if desired.
    End of meet- if others want to hang out after golf thats cool with me

None of the activities are required. participation is solely up to all of you. We will have information for other things to do listed. No matter what youve heard- Des Moines is a pretty big city with plenty to do. Its a gorgeous and safe city to visit. if you have a family or are not big on partying there is plenty for you to do!

Let me know what you guys think of this. Ill discuss this with John on the phone also.

Sounds like a plan. But right now I'm in the middle of hangover hell. So the last thing I want to think about is getting shitfaced again lol. I can still BYOWeed...

Flyin-Ryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Nick, all sounds good. I cant wait!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Well, I talked to my Dad last night and asked him if he's like to take a little road trip. When I explained it to him, his first question was, "Which car are you taking?" "The Cadillac, of course," I replied. His second question, "Do you think it will make it?" That's my Dad...always the optimist!

I told him I was going to post a question in one of the technical sections about what I should have checked before taking the car on a long road trip. I think she'll do fine.

My Dad still works part time as a courier driver, so he needs plenty of notice to get a substitute, but if he can, I think he'll go. As an extra incentive, my little sister is currently in Omaha, so he might not come to the meet, but spend the weekend with two of his grandkids.

On the other hand, I might try to get my sister to come out on Sunday for the golf. She was an NCAA Division III medalist in college, and last year, she played in the U.S. Armed Forces annual tournament (she's in the USAF Reserves). She won the women's title for the Air Force, then beat women golfers from the Army, Navy and Marines to represent the U.S. at the international armed forces tournament in Ireland. She won that one, too.

As for me, I'm a shitty golfer. Linda got all the athletic talent. But I'll probably dig my clubs out of the attic and bring them anyway.

My class is up to 13 students, two more than I need for the highest pay scale. So it looks like I'll have the money to make the trip.

Hey, everyone, got more details for Saturday. The motel chosen is Super 8 on Merle Hay Road in Des Moines. It's less than 2 miles from the meet site, on a busy thoroughfare that in and of itself has lots of shopping, fast food, sit down restaurants (Denny's, Bennigan's, Perkin's, etc.). Lots of car dealers on this stretch of road as well. Hey and Des Moines has some very low gasoline prices as well.

Anyway, I negotiated a deal on a block of rooms at the Super 8. The single room rate for Super 8 is $44.99, and the double room rate is $49.99. When you call in to register, make sure you mention you are with the Cadillac Owners Club attending the Midwest Meet. Unfortunately, I'm posting this at work, and took the phone number home with me this afternoon. I'll jump back on and give the phone number.

Nick and I want you all to experience a true taste of Des Moines--one of this area's famous restaurants is called "The Latin King," and it's been in business since the 1940's I believe. Anyway, awesome food, primarily Italian. They take credit cards or cash only. It, too, isn't too far from our meet--say less than 5 miles or so.

The kicker on this restaurant is that they don't serve until 4 pm on Saturdays. We will have to take this into consideration should we choose to take over Porky's Diner during the Elvis impersonator show. The gal at the restaurant said if we came in at 4pm when they opened, we'd have very fast service since the dinner crowd doesn't start up until 5:30 pm or so. I've got us blocked in for about 40 people at the restaurant.

We are good to go, guys. I'll be in contact with AmesCTS-V to get the website up now that we have plans solidified.

See ya soon!

JRau in central Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    Well, I talked to my Dad last night and asked him if he's like to take a little road trip. When I explained it to him, his first question was, "Which car are you taking?" "The Cadillac, of course," I replied. His second question, "Do you think it will make it?" That's my Dad...always the optimist!

I told him I was going to post a question in one of the technical sections about what I should have checked before taking the car on a long road trip. I think she'll do fine.

My Dad still works part time as a courier driver, so he needs plenty of notice to get a substitute, but if he can, I think he'll go. As an extra incentive, my little sister is currently in Omaha, so he might not come to the meet, but spend the weekend with two of his grandkids.

On the other hand, I might try to get my sister to come out on Sunday for the golf. She was an NCAA Division III medalist in college, and last year, she played in the U.S. Armed Forces annual tournament (she's in the USAF Reserves). She won the women's title for the Air Force, then beat women golfers from the Army, Navy and Marines to represent the U.S. at the international armed forces tournament in Ireland. She won that one, too.

As for me, I'm a shitty golfer. Linda got all the athletic talent. But I'll probably dig my clubs out of the attic and bring them anyway.

My class is up to 13 students, two more than I need for the highest pay scale. So it looks like I'll have the money to make the trip.
    Great gdwriter! I'm impressed that you can swing this. Maybe we should give a prize away for the person coming the greatest distance or something...

JRau in central Iowa

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.