17K views 146 replies 13 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Suburbs:
Easy parking.
Free parking.
Easy highway access.
Less congestion.
Far from some attractions.
Long drive to the auto show, plus finding and paying for a parking space at McCormick
Near where some forum members live

Downtown:
$49/night for unlimited valet at most hotels
Easy access to bars, restaurants, entertainment.
Easy access to airports and train station
Easy access to local mass transit
Congested.
Near the auto show

Which do you prefer? I will bid in February.

If you want to join my Priceline bid, PM me your name (the name that's on your ID) so that you can check in without waiting for me to be there. Expect the room to cost $50-$65 including tax. I wiil be gunning for 3 or 4 star properties which include Mariott, Westin, Hilton/Doubletree, Hyatt, etc.

When you PM me, I also need to know if you want a room for Friday night, Saturday night, or both nights.

See less See more
#2 ·
Suburbs.

#3 ·
I'm game either way and if you can get rooms downtown for less than $100, that would be great! I do realize most attendees don't have a lot of disposable income so the 'burbs would probably be best.

The last one I attended was a great hotel with covered parking, decent restaurants in the area, and easy highway access. The only thing I would think could be added to that place would be walking distance to the CTS train line so we could have left the cars at the hotel.

#9 ·
Last time I was up there with Ian, my brother, and Jen we stayed downtown, ate downtown, and drank downtown. I got less drunk and it cost me more money. The homeless dudes added to the atmosphere though. I had a lot more fun staying downtown alone on my following visit because I was more free to explore the city.

#10 ·
I think you guys should do Schaumburg area. It isn't any different than Downers Grove, but it is more centrally located, and has quick access to two major expressways, I-290 and I-90. (Ok, one of them is a tollway).

There are TONS of great places to eat. Uno's Pizza, Joe's Crabshack, Maggiano's just to name a few (And a Portillo's, best Italian Beef, period).

There are also car dealers of every make on the planet within spitting distance. I know how much you guys like to visit those. You also have Woodfield Mall (huge) and Streets of Schaumburg place (lame to me, but some people like it).

There are hotels everywhere, so there has to be some good deals. Plus it is only an hour for Larry and me, as opposed to almost two hours to Downers Grove. And I think most of you out of towners probably have not been there, so it will be something new. And I know the whole area like the back of my hand.

Just my input.

#11 ·
I stated so in the other thread, but I vote for Schaumburg as well.

#12 ·
1 Renaissance-Schaumburg Hotel
1551 Thoreau Dr N, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 303-4100

2 Hyatt Place Schaumburg
1851 McConnor Pkwy, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 330-1060

3 Marriott-Chicago Schaumburg
50 N Martingale Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 240-0100

4 La Quinta Inn Chicago - Schaumburg
1730 East Higgins Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 517-8484

5 Doubletree-Schaumburg
800 National Pkwy, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 605-9222

6 Residence Inn Chicago Schaumburg
1610 McConnor Pkwy, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 517-9200

7 Courtyard-Chicago Schaumburg
1311 American Ln, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 619-8100

8 Comfort Suites
1100 E Higgins Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 230-6000

9 Wingate By Wyndham
50 Remington Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 882-5000

10 Renaissance Hotel & Convention Center
1551 N Thoreau Dr., Schaumburg, IL 60173 United States
(847) 303-4100

Every one of those little blue dots is a hotel :) One of them has to be cheap. And there are not any seedy areas on this map.

#14 ·
Me, too, just make sure they have smoking rooms available cause I aint going outside in this weather.

#16 ·
Is there a Ferrari dealer in Schaumburg, or am I gonna have to drive to Downers Grove?

#18 ·
Well, ****! Oh well, more money for me to spend somewhere else.... Maybe there's a Cadillac dealer in or near Schaumburg I can buy some swag at.

#19 ·
If you get into town at 1 or so, just run down there. You'd be back to Schaumburg by 3-3:30...

#20 ·
Yeah that's a possibility, but I'll hit traffic like an SOB on the way back to Schaumburg, and being in an unfamiliar area, I don't have the most patience when I'm in a jam, especially if I'm running against the the clock.

#21 ·
#22 ·
The fun is going into the dealer though! I'll figure something out, even I have to leave St. Paul at 6 AM!

#24 ·
Actually, in all reality, Schaumburg and Downers Grove don't look terribly far apart. 20-25 miles one way.

#30 ·
Alright, so let's confirm who is going to be staying in a room:

Shared room: Me & Jason
Shared room: Gary D & Chad
Shared room: Austin & Josiah
Shared room: Sal & Danielle
Marvin
Mike H

So far that's six rooms. Please confirm in the thread.

Who else is coming?
Is anyone above not coming?
Is Tanner joining us this year?

Soon as I get 100% confirmation I'll book the rooms. I also need to know whose name to put your room in so you can check in without waiting for me to show up.

I'd be happy to add another person to my room in a rollaway bed, but I snore VERY BADLY, as does my brother.

#31 · (Edited)
I'm in but I already told you that...

I will have a copy of the STL Yellow Pages and/or a wound up extension cord to beat yo' azz with if we end up in a hellhole ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.