Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Great Lakes Discussion, Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Just got this from a buddy in Cleveland. Be careful driving through Ohio. Feff Officer Estimates Enough For Speeding Convictions ...
    Feffman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling

Just got this from a buddy in Cleveland. Be careful driving through Ohio.

Feff

Officer Estimates Enough For Speeding Convictions

By: Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to support a conviction if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy, and experienced in watching for speeders.

The court's 5-1 decision says independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary.

The court upheld a lower court's ruling against a driver who challenged a speeding conviction that had been based on testimony from police officer in Copley, 25 miles south of Cleveland. The officer said it appeared to him that the man was driving too fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!

Re: Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling

Not good, I live close. Thanks for posting Feff.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Looks like it's time to appeal to the Supreme Court. The NHTSA states otherwise in speed detection...

Feffman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Lawmakers Pan Speeding Ticket Ruling, Working On Bill To Require Radar

Associated Press June 9th, 2010

COLUMBUS — Two leading state lawmakers want to overturn a ruling by the Ohio Supreme Court that says police officers can write speeding tickets just by looking at a vehicle and estimating how fast it is going.

State Rep. Robert Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, and state Sen. Tim Grendell, a Republican from suburban Cleveland, are working on bills that would require officers to use radar or other technology to verify a vehicle’s speed before issuing a ticket.

The American Civil Liberties Union says last week’s court ruling creates the potential for abuse.

In its decision, the high court said independent verification of a driver’s speed is not necessary if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in watching for speeders.

Yeqon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven CTS-V (Lillith)

Wow, that is pretty amazing. Here in Minnesota we have thousands appealing DUI's right now because the manufacturer of the breathalyzer isn't willing to give up a data code. Seem a far stretch from one state that is mandating coding on a device be available to prosecute and one that is going with the "Looks like you were going pretty fast" ticket.

mamawseldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado, 2000 Seville STS, 2007 Escalade, 2009 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Yeqon View Post
    Wow, that is pretty amazing. Here in Minnesota we have thousands appealing DUI's right now because the manufacturer of the breathalyzer isn't willing to give up a data code. Seem a far stretch from one state that is mandating coding on a device be available to prosecute and one that is going with the "Looks like you were going pretty fast" ticket.
    I live in Ohio and it wouldn't be a big deal to me if they weren't letting 18 year old kids become cops. I say it all the time that someone needs life experience before they should have authority....

caddeville89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham; 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood

Ya, if they are going to arbitrarily slap me with a $300+ fine for "looking like you were speeding", I want some recourse. I have been in situations where I was NOT speeding, and an officer told me I looked like I was going too fast.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.