Cadillac Owners Forum banner
64K views 598 replies 47 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is now a signup thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/great-lakes/172496-chicago-meet-august-2009-signup.html
-JH

Since it appears we have reached a consensus on the date, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for the meet itself and organizing some of the logistics. I know Jimmy and Nick have offered to help get things organized, and I'm willing to help out where I can to get things moving. I've had a great time at the three meets I've attended (Des Moines 2007, Chicago 2008 and 2009), so I'm really looking forward to another road trip.

First off, here’s a list of people who’ve said they might be interested in coming. Feel free to add to this list:

Out-of-town drivers:

• Me (natch) and Hoover
  • Brian (90_Brougham_350) and possibly Ruthie
  • Chad
  • Tanner (Derrty_Deville)
  • Jesda
  • Kurt (KFX)
  • Gizmo
  • Rick (NightWolf)
  • Jim (TBJS)
  • Nick
  • Justin

Fly-in/Maybes:

• Tony (TTS)

Locals @ the winter meet:

• Nicki
  • JimmyH
  • JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)
  • Gary88
  • Kael

Other locals to invite:

• Elias (96 Fleetwood)
  • John (JRau)
  • Keith (AlBundy)
  • Larry (Ranger)
  • Tom (N0DIH)

If I’ve forgotten anybody, it’s not intentional. Just add yourself to the list.

As summer gets closer, it’d be a good idea to firm up who’s coming so we can make reservations for dinners/Sunday brunch/hotel/golf, etc. I know if may seem early, but this way anybody who needs to take vacation time can plan ahead.

See less See more
#84 ·
Re: Chicago Meet -- August 28-30 -- Official thread

tbjs, just caught wind of this... as long as I'm back in the States by then, I'll go if you go, lol... well i'll probably go anyways, but maybe that'd entice you to swing out to the Windy City, I'd say Route 66 Raceway is the place to be, it's always a good time... i can't believe Jimmy left me off this one after all the V meets I organized last year in DG.... just kiddin Jimmy, hope all is well can't wait to get back!

#109 ·

tbjs, just caught wind of this... as long as I'm back in the States by then, I'll go if you go, lol... well i'll probably go anyways, but maybe that'd entice you to swing out to the Windy City, I'd say Route 66 Raceway is the place to be, it's always a good time... i can't believe Jimmy left me off this one after all the V meets I organized last year in DG.... just kiddin Jimmy, hope all is well can't wait to get back!
yeah, I should be there... :cloud9:

#85 ·

Rangerrob! what up baby? Actually, I never did get to meet up with you guys last year. Funny, I was thinking about bumping that thread to see if any of the Chicago V guys wanted to meet up again. I get off of work at 2pm now everyday, so I will have no problems this summer.

bigjim, the dates are in the thread title. Although no one has confirmed to me that these are the "official" dates. I know there is plenty of time, but I want to start talking to Volo and Great Lakes.

And try as I might, I have no autox solution. As I said before, there is really nothing viable anywhere near the Chicagoland area. We are stuck with straight line racing. Of course, except for the V guys, I think that is preferable to everyone.

#87 ·

FYI, there is no way I can give a CTS-V a run for the money. It does a better job at winning trophies than burning rubber. @ nearly 5,000 lbs, I am happy with the 14.0 1/4 mile on street tires.

#89 ·

Yeah, last year Jimmy only ran a low 14 second quarter mile while the regular CTSs were doing it in high 14's. That really surprised me.

#90 ·

You take it easy on the diff, when it's your only way to make it the 300 miles home...

And it doesnt help when you have to drive through the burnout puddle whether or not you want to do a burnout...

I might get a little more aggressive at Great Lakes. Plus I have RS-A now instead of the F1s, which cuts down on the axle hop.

#91 ·

August 28-30th are the official dates for the meet. Poll results are as stands:
August 21-23: 3 people
August 28th-30th: 5 people

There were 12 people saying either weekend works. :)

#92 ·

My friend with the '87 Iroc Camaro may show up at the drag strip this year, if he can get the day off. We both work the same job so if we both take off the same day, especially a weekend, it is sometimes hard to get it approved. Right now his car is up in the air in his garage as we are doing some work to it. Over the winter he bought a cam, some Hooker shorty headers and a Flowmaster exhaust system that has 3" INNER diameter pipes.
:burn: :rockon:
Oh yeah, he has hair longer than any of us (including Nikki) and listens to lots of White Snake. The 80's are back.

#94 ·
#96 ·

Ah, so you did get the Maruader. Congrats. I'll be stealing it in the night.

Chad, tell Brian he needs to start a thread about whatever he bought to replace the truck. I really wanna know.

#97 ·

I think I heard Lincoln Continental but I'm not too sure. BRIAN/CHAD REPORT TO CHICAGO MEET THREAD STAT!

#103 ·

I'm game for pretty much anything, depends on what car I own at the time. Heh heh. I might not have the Mercedes then.... If I buy something faster, I'll wanna drag race it, but if I keep what I have or get something slower, then I won't drive down, but I'll ride with Brian and Ruthie in BRIAN'S 1994 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL.

Identical to this:

#105 ·

No. It needs a blower motor. The part from the dealer is ~$800 PLUS labor. This is normal for Mercedes. I'm not rich. I need something cheaper. (LT-1 Roadmaster/Fleetwood, 90-92 Brougham, GTP, Maxima GLE, etc etc.)

#107 ·

No Northstars. I want something simpler and cheaper.

Anyways, long story short. I have no HVAC fan, so I have no heat or A/C, and my A/C doesn't work because it's low on refrigerant...so it's leaking out of somewhere, possibly the Evaporator (but that, along with my condensor, compressor and all seals are covered under my warranty). I'm taking it in to the dealer on Saturday morning for the diagnosis and an oil change. I should know then what I'll be doing. It's a reliable car, but whenever something needs repair, it's atleast $500 and I'm not made of money.

I love it, but it's too spendy!! :p

Anyways, sorry to thread jack. I'll make a thread in the lounge when I know what's going on.

#110 · (Edited)

Chad, you have have my Fleetwood. All it needs are pads, rotors, drums, shoes, front calipers, full tune up, all new A/C system (that probably will never happen), TCC solenoid replacement (may never happen either), front wheel bearings, some EGR work and the giant oil leak needs to be fixed. Oh yeah, there is a hole the size of a softball in the front driver shock tower. I ain't rich either, I work at Wal-Mart. :)

Those Continentals are not bad. We had one at my old tech school that I went to back when I was in High School. I just hope the trans has been rebuilt on it because from what I have heard they crap out even faster than a 4t60, usually by 90k miles.

Edit: Just found this for you Chad. You can have your DeVille back. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/1085348413.html

#119 ·
#112 ·

That price is not ridiculous for the repair on the S320. My Brother had a '98 STS, '00 STS, '02 SLS, and two '03 DTS.

It would be $500-3,500 each time he went to the dealer for 'maintenance.'

It is the price you pay for driving a high end luxury vehicle. The 50,000 mile service on my Mother's BMW 760Li was $2,800. :bigroll:

Have you found a independant german repair shop Chad? The Infiniti dealer wanted $1,200 for front and rear pads/rotors on the M45. We took it to Ogden Motorcars and they charged us $650 for that same service using OEM parts!

#113 ·

At this point, a nice LT1 Fleetwood or Roadmaster would be the cats' meow. Cheap, simple, reliable, fast and easy to own!! I'd also go for a 90-92 Brougham also, provided it's nice and doesn't have the 307

#117 ·

Nice car, but way over priced. While I respect the Impala SS's for what they were, I'd take a Roadmaster or Fleetwood over them any day. Same car, less of a chance of theft, rarer, more luxurious, not a Chevy, just as fast and as modifiable...

How about doing like a $16,000 two or three year old DTS? They're nice cars. Good looking, fast and luxurious, and they're new enough where I don't have to worry about constantly fixing it, and I might get really lucky and find one that still has a remainder of the factory warranty on it still...

The 2000-03 STS and 2000-02 ETC are on my list too, but they're older, which means a higher chance of an expensive repair in the near future. Then again, they're cheaper though too, which is kind of a moot point because I'll be taking a loan out either way so it's not like it's any cash out of my pocket directly, which would be less for me to have for repairs and maintenance...

A Buick Lucerne has crossed my mind too, but then again, why get a Buick when you can get the Cadillac for another 1-2k?

Well anyways, the car is at the dealer now, so I'll know tomorrow what the problem is and what it's gonna cost, and then I'll have an idea what to do next...

#118 ·

The new DTS are very very nice. Considering its heft, you almost forget you are in a large FWDer. It handles and rides that good. It's certainly no sport sedan, but considering it doesn't try to be one makes it that much more amazing. It has to be the most underrated luxo sedan out there. Definitely pick up one of those if you can. Thank the maker for Cadillac's horrible resale value.

#120 ·

As my experience shows, you can find last-generation Sevilles with low miles and in good shape at a very reasonable price. Even my '01 still qualified for a 36-month, 45,000-mile extended warranty that's pretty much bumper to bumper for $1,600. Before I bought the car, I checked, and it does cover head gaskets and motor mounts among other things. I'll e-mail you the warranty info.

If you do look at getting a different car and need a loan, if you don't have an account already, look into a credit union. I got very favorable terms and less hassle with my car loan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.