Cadillac Owners Forum banner
64K views 598 replies 47 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is now a signup thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/great-lakes/172496-chicago-meet-august-2009-signup.html
-JH

Since it appears we have reached a consensus on the date, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for the meet itself and organizing some of the logistics. I know Jimmy and Nick have offered to help get things organized, and I'm willing to help out where I can to get things moving. I've had a great time at the three meets I've attended (Des Moines 2007, Chicago 2008 and 2009), so I'm really looking forward to another road trip.

First off, here’s a list of people who’ve said they might be interested in coming. Feel free to add to this list:

Out-of-town drivers:

• Me (natch) and Hoover
  • Brian (90_Brougham_350) and possibly Ruthie
  • Chad
  • Tanner (Derrty_Deville)
  • Jesda
  • Kurt (KFX)
  • Gizmo
  • Rick (NightWolf)
  • Jim (TBJS)
  • Nick
  • Justin

Fly-in/Maybes:

• Tony (TTS)

Locals @ the winter meet:

• Nicki
  • JimmyH
  • JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)
  • Gary88
  • Kael

Other locals to invite:

• Elias (96 Fleetwood)
  • John (JRau)
  • Keith (AlBundy)
  • Larry (Ranger)
  • Tom (N0DIH)

If I’ve forgotten anybody, it’s not intentional. Just add yourself to the list.

As summer gets closer, it’d be a good idea to firm up who’s coming so we can make reservations for dinners/Sunday brunch/hotel/golf, etc. I know if may seem early, but this way anybody who needs to take vacation time can plan ahead.

See less See more
#213 ·
Re: Chicago Meet -- August 28-30 -- Official thread -- Public Trans is horrible

I know that there is a fee... but I think it was only like $10. Last year many towns had bags with coupons or gift certificates to local businesses. Every town you drive through, you get a passport stamp, and every stamp is an entry in a drawing for prises at the end. There is also a free lunch at the Steger Kmart parking lot paid for by the local bank. You also get a window cling for your car, and a packet with the history of Dixie Hwy.

#214 ·

I may have recruited another person for the track day. A friend that I work with may want to come. He has a '90 Civic hatchback that I am dying to race. He likes his imports but he is not some ricer retard, he actually knows his stuff.

#216 · (Edited)

I may have recruited another person for the track day. A friend that I work with may want to come. He has a '90 Civic hatchback that I am dying to race. He likes his imports but he is not some ricer retard, he actually knows his stuff.
There's a video on youtube of a C-body (4.9) Deville vs. a similar vintage Civic.Wasn't a devastating kill, but the Caddy had a couple car lengths. :D

#215 ·

Hey guys. I'm new on here, definitely a few steps behind...

:welcome: Congrats on the new car. I hope you will be able to join us for the Chicago meet in August.
... but I'd like to catch up. So I'll be around, and hopefully I can make it up at the end of August :thumbsup:

#217 ·

His Civic is not stock though. He swapped the motor from another Honda that has way more power than the stock one.

#219 ·

His Civic is not stock though. He swapped the motor from another Honda that has way more power than the stock one.
Way more power then the stock 106hp? It better have more, or else your Brougham would be faster! :lol:

With that kind of car, I'm thinking, maybe the B16A2/A3 from a Del Sol? I know a guy who had one making about 210hp.

#223 ·

WHOA! Sorry on the post and disappear! HAHA! Nik- My name is actually Richard! HAHA! Richard Nicholas Carter, aka Dickie Nickie! BWAHAhAHAHAHA!

Good news though, it appears my boss has unblocked my access to the forum so I will be able to be on here when I get down time at work.

Also, I think my buddy Chris will be driving his DTS out. So, at this point I got two cars coming with me. My CTS and Chris' DTS. In my car will be me, my bro, and my GF. In Chris' will be Chris and his wife. Kind of doubt he would bring his kids.

#224 ·

Your brother doesn't want to bring his STS?

#226 ·

I don't believe anything is set in stone yet, but I believe there will be some kind of dinner/get-together/cruise on Friday night, most likely in the west suburbs. Tentative plans are for a picnic/BBQ at the Volo Auto Museum on Saturday afternoon and possibly a trip to one of the area dragstrips Saturday night (that could end up being in Friday night). Sunday there will likely be a brunch, with a round golf in the afternoon in the Lemont or Downers Grove area (I'm pretty sure we have at least enough for a foursome, but we can reserve additional tee times if enough people are interested in playing).

Plans should firm up by this summer and will be posted. We've had some fun meets in the past, so this should be a good one.

#227 ·

There is a pretty bad ass car show in downtown Downer's Grove every Friday night. They put up signs all along the main strip and in the parking lots that say "Antique parking only" and the cops can tow your car if it isn't an oldey. It is definitly worth going especially if we are going to be waiting for people to meet up with us. There is a huge parking garage there so parking is never a problem. The cool part is none of the cars are trailer queens. They all get there under their own power so you see them all over the roads Friday afternoon/evening. Last year I saw several Superbees among other great relics.

#228 ·

There is a pretty bad ass car show in downtown Downer's Grove every Friday night. They put up signs all along the main strip and in the parking lots that say "Antique parking only" and the cops can tow your car if it isn't an oldey. It is definitly worth going especially if we are going to be waiting for people to meet up with us. There is a huge parking garage there so parking is never a problem. The cool part is none of the cars are trailer queens. They all get there under their own power so you see them all over the roads Friday afternoon/evening. Last year I saw several Superbees among other great relics.
That sounds very cool, John. Too bad I wouldn't have Betty there to show off. I hate trailer queens, so it's cool all the cars are driven there. Driving them is part of the fun of owning a classic car.

#234 · (Edited)

It looks like I'll be able to make the meet. My vacation planner was accepted at work. I plan to work the days off in comp beforehand so I don't have to use my vacation. This is going to be my big Summer trip this year.

I've got 11 days off, so the plan is to leave my house Thursday, spend the night traveling then arrive in Chichago Friday afternoon/evening. Spend the weekend there. Probably head out when the rest of the folks do Sunday evening sometime, get several hours of driving in, stop for the night, then arrive in NY Monday, where I'll remain until I head out the following Sunday afternoon/evening, stop for the night and arrive back home that Monday.

Both the Mid GA- Chicago leg and chi- my home town in NY leg are 13hrs/810miles. The NY - GA leg is a bit longer at 16hrs/1000miles.

I should be taking the BMW, which is why I am doing alot more work on it then first planned, since I'll be taking it on this trip (and possibly another long one over Christmas/New Years) The roadtrip should be a blast, top down and music up.

I look forward to meeting everyone, I've been to other meets that were in FL, but should be a new group of people face to face, some of which I've been talking with in the forum for years. It'll be good to get to meet everyone in person.

The events sound pretty cool. A drag/autox event would be really neat too.

Should be really cool, I've never been to Chi-town (other then the airport on my way to Hawaii) so it'll be a neat experience. Speakeing of Hawaii, there is a good chance my friend from Hawaii will be flying over to join me on this entire adventure. Should be lots of fun, just gotta get my butt in gear to fix up the BMW and work all this comp time.

#235 ·

Cool Rick! it'll be nice to meet you.

#236 ·

If you say Chi-town again I am gonna steal your Bimmer in the night. :)

#241 · (Edited)

Anyone else coming up from the South? Could follow each other up...

This would be the rough idea of it:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Warner+Robins&1s=GA&2c=Chicago&2s=IL
Have you checked with Benzilla? He was originally planning on coming to Des Moines two years ago. It would be nice to meet him (and see the Phaeton).

Only 818 miles? I always forget how much shorter distances between places run east of the Mississippi River. My outbound trip, with detours to see friends in Eastern Washington and Montana, Mt. Rushmore, and up to Minneapolis to caravan down with Chad, Brian and Tanner, is 2,425 miles. The return, a straight shot west on I-80 and I-84 is 2,157 miles.

#242 ·

Yeah, people who live on the West coast have it so bad off. :)

#243 ·

Trust me, you couldn't pry me out of Oregon with a crowbar. I love it here. Except for one year in New Hampshire when I was five, I've always lived in the West — Texas, Arizona and Oregon — so I'm used to driving long distances. Portland is only an hour away, 90 minutes if I'm going to the airport, and Seattle is four hours from me.

I love to visit Chicago; it's a great city, but I would not want to live there.

#246 ·

Would anybody be interested in visiting Fermilab (Dept. of Energy research facility with the 1 mile particle collider)? In the past few years they have relaxed their security since 9/11. I went though there yesterday to see the buffalo, it was nice (and free). The main building is also a great piece of architecture. Anyway, its something to think about if you all arrive early enough and we are bored or waiting for other people. Its only about 6 miles west of Downers Grove.

#251 ·

Would anybody be interested in visiting Fermilab (Dept. of Energy research facility with the 1 mile particle collider)? In the past few years they have relaxed their security since 9/11. I went though there yesterday to see the buffalo, it was nice (and free). The main building is also a great piece of architecture. Anyway, its something to think about if you all arrive early enough and we are bored or waiting for other people. Its only about 6 miles west of Downers Grove.
I'd be very interested, but I think that puts you and I into the category of mega-nerdom.

Brian

#250 ·

My whole family has been skiing since they were 5, including me. My uncle almost made the 1984 US Olympic ski team but got disqualified because he did his qualifying runs in the wrong class (he had never raced before and did not know what class to race in).

I have two pairs of skis. I have a new pair that I got for Christmas a few years ago and I have a pair of race skis that used to belong to my grandfather. The race skis are longer than I am tall and are close to 7 ft. I can haul ass on those.

#255 ·

Fermi lab is much more visitor friendly than Argonne labs. Argonne is another government research facility that is located near Lemont. It has armed guards at all entrances and the entire place is hidden in a forest. I have an uncle-in-law who is a computer programmer there. It even has its own power generating station, which is the only thing you can see from the road.

#257 ·

Can we convince Chad to climb in the particle accelerator and see what happens?
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

I want to keep all my particles where they are, thank you very much. Well, I could stand to lose more than a few particles, but somehow, I doubt the Fermilab can do anything about it.

#258 ·

I planned on getting to downtown chi thursday around 1pm. Then checking in to my hotel downtown, parking my car and going to the science museum thing. then getting drunk in the eve downtown chi! Anyone down to join me?

#268 ·

I planned on getting to downtown chi thursday around 1pm. Then checking in to my hotel downtown, parking my car and going to the science museum thing. then getting drunk in the eve downtown chi! Anyone down to join me?
What hotel are you staying at downtown??

#260 ·

Maybe if we put Chad in there, he'll get swapped with a Chad from a parallel dimension. And maybe parallel dimension Chad can actually choose what kind of car he wants.

:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.