Chicago Meet in August!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which weekend in August works for you for the meet?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • August 21-23

3 14.29%
  • August 28-30

5 23.81%
  • Neither

1 4.76%
  • Either weekend works for me

12 57.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Great Lakes Discussion, Chicago Meet in August!! in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Originally Posted by gdwriter Northwest is still flying DC-9s built in the Seventies, but most airplanes in use today aren't ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: Chicago Meet in August!!

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    Northwest is still flying DC-9s built in the Seventies, but most airplanes in use today aren't more than 20 years old. Airlines have been retiring older, less fuel efficient planes at a rapid clip in the past few years.

There's nothing inherently wrong with those planes other than the loud engines in the DC-9s, MD-80s and 737-200s; of those three, only the MD-80 is still used in large numbers, mostly AA and Delta. But Rick, as an aircraft mechanic, you should know about pressurization cycles and the stresses those put on the airframes, especially planes that make frequent, short flights, as was the case with the then 19-year old Aloha 737 that lost part of its fuselage in 1988:

OK, I know I've gone but I'm interested in almost anything with wheels or wings.
    Yes, I am fully aware of pressurization cycles. The comment was made about planes made in the 70's and 80's, which dosen't mean anything in and of itself. The regional airlines I worked for had aircraft that were 10yrs old with more cycles on them then some of the big airlines 30-yr old fleet.

Aircraft are a whole different ballgame then cars, age plays a role, but there is alot more to it then that. Most people don't realize the age of the planes they fly on, but they don't understand how it all works either, if someone thinks their "2001" car is old, then what would they think about flying a "1990" plane? Some of the military aircraft I work on were built in the 60's.

In the case of the Aloha 37, corrosion also played a big factor in that, as you mentioned it had to do with cycles, not necessarily age. Total airframe time and cycles are what wears out a plane, not years - with that said, there is nothing wrong about flying on an "older" airplane.

I think we would have plenty to talk about if we ever met up - with our common interests and all

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Sounds fun, I'll attend!

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
    Aircraft are a whole different ballgame then cars, age plays a role, but there is alot more to it then that. Most people don't realize the age of the planes they fly on, but they don't understand how it all works either, if someone thinks their "2001" car is old, then what would they think about flying a "1990" plane? Some of the military aircraft I work on were built in the 60's.
    O.K. guys, you need to keep one other thing in mind. Most military aircraft are maintained like race cars. When the racing season is over, they tear it down to the frame and rebuild anew. I retired at OC-ALC (the largest ISO 9001 aircraft overhaul facility in the world) where they do the depot overhauls of the Air Force B-52, KC-135, and a whole bunch of other aircraft and parts. Believe me when they leave there, they're damn near brand new again.

A couple years ago I rode on an aircraft with a 57xxxx tail number - that jet was commissioned in 1957!!! Its older than I am. But knowing our overhaul schedules take everything you guys mentioned and a multitude of other factors and flight characteristics into consideration, it didn't bother me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    O.K. guys, you need to keep one other thing in mind. Most military aircraft are maintained like race cars. When the racing season is over, they tear it down to the frame and rebuild anew. I retired at OC-ALC (the largest ISO 9001 aircraft overhaul facility in the world) where they do the depot overhauls of the Air Force B-52, KC-135, and a whole bunch of other aircraft and parts. Believe me when they leave there, they're damn near brand new again.

A couple years ago I rode on an aircraft with a 57xxxx tail number - that jet was commissioned in 1957!!! Its older than I am. But knowing our overhaul schedules take everything you guys mentioned and a multitude of other factors and flight characteristics into consideration, it didn't bother me a bit.
    A fellow depoter! I'm at WR-ALC. Depot level of C-130, C-5, C-17 and F-15. I work depot level 130's.

Same is said for many of the airliners when they get out of heavy D checks, maybe not the exact same extent, but close. The average person just dosen't understand it though, simply thinks that just because an airplane is XX age, then it must be bad/unsafe.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Okay, no more airplane talk.

And if anyone else disses the 80's I'm gonna slash your tires.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

So what is this new job? I've seen references to it, but haven't actually seen you post where you're working now.

My Dad spent most of his USAF career as a crew chief on B-52s. Now there's a plane that's built to last. The current active duty planes are H models, which were built between 1961 and 1962. But even though they're approaching 50 years old, they have fewer hours on them than many commercial jets.

In the case of the Aloha 37, corrosion also played a big factor in that, as you mentioned it had to do with cycles, not necessarily age. Total airframe time and cycles are what wears out a plane, not years - with that said, there is nothing wrong about flying on an "older" airplane.
    Exactly right. That Aloha 737 had spent its career island hopping doing 30-60 minute flights, constantly exposed to salt air. I did some research, and at the time of the incident, the plane had gone through 89,090 takeoff and landing cycles, the second highest total cycles for a plane in the world at the time -- well beyond the 75,000 trips it was designed to sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_cheap_fleetwood View Post

Keep on rockin' the 80's!

[YOUTUBE]5qW0Edq1KqI[/YOUTUBE]

Actually if I end up going to the meet, ya'll will probably get a glimpse of my wide music selection - including the 80's.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Nothing wrong with the 80s; they were certainly better than the 70s. If any decade deserves dissing, that would be the one. And I can say that because I lived through them.

Rick, you must have posted the info about your new job while I was writing mine asking you about it. Congratulations; it sounds like a good gig, and likely more stable than the airlines.

Gizmo, I remember my Dad telling me about the depot overhauls and how it would be hard to find an original part on any currently flying B-52. And I know there are lots of KC-135s on duty that are even older than the BUFFs. A testament to Boeing engineering.

Nothing wrong with the 80s; they were certainly better than the 70s. If any decade deserves dissing, that would be the one. And I can say that because I lived through them.

Rick, you must have posted the info about your new job while I was writing mine asking you about it. Congratulations; it sounds like a good gig, and likely more stable than the airlines.

Gizmo, I remember my Dad telling me about the depot overhauls and how it would be hard to find an original part on any currently flying B-52. And I know there are lots of KC-135s on duty that are even older than the BUFFs. A testament to Boeing engineering.
    Well, I left the airlines back in July and started working on base - depot 130's, but as a contractor. Now I am going civillian, I'll be employed by the Gov't, less money but it's a career not just a job. I'll be in a different building tho doing different things then I was before.

kfx
    kfx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

Hey nick, jimmy, brian, tanner, dwight, chad, jesda, gizmo, gdwriter!! Sorry I've been awol for the last couple months, my work & life in general have been outta control lately (won't go into details).

I voted for the weekend of 8/21, but unfortunately I work at a university and that is our busiest time preparing for students to return so I may end up not being able to leave town either of those weekends. But i'll definitely come if i can get away, plus i'm only 2hrs. from chitown. Had a blast at the last 2 meets that Nick put together (accept for last yr when i got a kidney stone!).

A later summer meet actually works great cause if all goes right i'm getting my whole car repainted in june, gotta scratch together enough $$$.

Was recently at navy pier & shedd aquarium, but i also would like to go to the museum of science & industry.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Dammit, I can't find a good video on Youtube of "1999" by Prince.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Interesting; they've always promoted Manchester and Providence as convenient alternatives to Logan.

I've done both Manchester and Logan on trips to NH, and Manchester is so much easier. On my last trip in 2002, I was using frequent flier miles, so I had to go into Logan. The Big Dig was still under construction, so getting in and out of Logan to I-93 north was a PITA.
    Before the completion of the Big Dig, the airport was a disaster, as well as the rest of Boston. The Ted Williams Tunnel was only open to commercial vehicles(hooray us). And the Sumner Tunnel was a perpetual traffic jam.

The Sumner would end above ground at I-93. Traffic into Boston from the north and south always occurred because of the insane offramps in the downtown area. The Sumner Tunnel was jammed from about 6:10AM to at least 7PM. From about 11AM to 12:30PM it could be open but it would be a risk. The Sumner exited and you could either take I-93N or stay right and go to the North End and take the ramp to I-93S.

The problem with I-93N is that its 2 most heavily traveled offramps were about 150ft and 750ft from the Sumner Tunnel onramp. Crossover congestion non-stop. If you wanted to go to I-93S, you had to deal with Hanover St traffic. Cars and pedestrians. Another perpetual jam.

Now that the Ted Williams Tunnel is hooked up with I-90, it's open to everyone. That takes a lot of traffic off the Sumner. And now the Sumner empties to more tunnels. There is no direct, efficient access to I-93S. That's where the Ted takes you to. So now, you bear left and exit to I-93N, Washington St to head towards Charlestown or to New Charndon St towards Beacon Hill and the Financial District. If you bear right out of the Sumner, you take a tunnel and exit to Storrow Dr or Leverett Circle.

In the 4 years since the Big Dig has been mostly completed, I have not seen the Sumner Tunnel back up once, except for construction or maintenance in the tunnel itself.

Tis a new world in Boston traffic. Logan is no longer the burden it used to be. Getting to Logan is much improved as well...

Dammit, I can't find a good video on Youtube of "1999" by Prince.
    Prince is a very wise man...

CadillacGurl is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Hyundai Elantra

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Prince is a very wise man...
    Darling Nikki... that is all

so I hadn't seen or heard Darling Nikki in a while, so I googled. Here was a related video...

Dailymotion - 3Way Episode #9 "Rhonda Rapid Delivery", a video from 3WayTV. 3Way, 3WayTv, Cathy, Shim, McManus

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.