Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Which weekend in August works for you for the meet?

• August 21-23

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • August 28-30

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Either weekend works for me

Votes: 12 57.1%
12K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  iowasevillests 
#1 ·
Alright people, let's plan this thing! Pick a weekend in August in the poll and we'll go from there!

#3 ·
I'm game for either weekend. :)

#5 ·
I too would prefer a late spring/early summer meet but I am game for anything. I have a feeling that dragging the new Brougham will be similar to the van (slow and retarded looking) and me against Chad's S class will be the worst drag race in history. :)

#6 ·
I'm down for either weekend as well. Gives me plenty of time to get my car dialed in. Maybe even put something...extra on it. :shhh: My family is planning to take a vacation in July (my only month off for summer), so that will get the 1000 miles I need to break in the trans after it's rebuilt, and we'll be ready to hit the strip. :D

#7 ·
I voted for the later weekend, but can do either one. Count me in.

I'll likely have to fly, since it would be five days driving each way. I don't think I'll have enough vacation time to do it since my sister just texted me that she's booked the timeshare in Hawaii for December 20-27. So if it's a choice between driving to Chicago or Hawaii, Hawaii wins. But I will come out. I've had a great time at every single meet.

#11 ·
Ok, taking that into consideration, the meet will now take place in a corn field in Western Indiana.

HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY JESDA!

#9 ·
Either works for me right now. The Woodward Dream Cruise starts the 15th, and that is all I had planned for the Fleetwood in August.

#28 ·
I will probably spend an extra day or two in Chi to get in some time in the city. If youre down to spend extra time there, my GF, brother and I will go with ya to the museum. I love that museum. Ironically, I think the last time I went there was 96 or 97.

Also, either weekend is good for me.

#16 · (Edited)
^ You should see the new train layout they have there. It is amazingly huge. Its called the great train story and it is about taking a train trip from Chicago to Seattle. In the layout the city of Chicago actually has a 10 ft. replica of the Sears Tower. Other than that, no more city for me either. And no going to any bars because no drunk Chads are riding in my car.

You know what would also be really cool, a Segway tour of the city. I did one about 3 years ago and had a blast. Its not cheap but we may be able to get a group rate. Three hours on a Segway with Jesda would be rather interesting. http://citysegwaytours.com/chicago

For a weekend like this would you all be able to arrive on Friday and leave on Monday or very late on Sunday? It would work out better than having to pick up a certain person from the airport in the middle of the day. :)

#17 ·
^ You should see the new train layout they have there. It is amazingly huge. Its called the great train story and it is about taking a train trip from Chicago to Seattle. In the layout the city of Chicago actually has a 10 ft. replica of the Sears Tower.
I saw that and would really like to check it out. My five-year-old nephew loves trains. He would go nuts over this.

#18 ·
I think for the next meet we should do customized t-shirts!

On The Front:
"Cadillacowners.com Summer Meet 2009"

On the back:
"The Isuzu Bashing Committee"

#20 ·
Maybe the "Isuzu Bashing Committee" text can encircle a picture of John Redcorn, and on the back, we can have our nicknames.

Dibs on "The Aristocrat"

#22 ·
I hate having to come up with nicknames for myself and if you put the word "Isuzu" in it anywhere I'm gonna kill meself.

I am trying to think of something older because I have 2 cars that are both the oldest out of the group (Betty doesn't count cause she's a Chevy). Maybe Cadillac Style from the 80's commercials.

#29 ·
Now that I'll be able to more easily take time off work with the new job, I may try to make the meet, get the chance to meet alot of forum members.

Looking at Mapquest it is roughly 13hrs/800-miles.... same as Key West, I may even do it in 1-day.... wonder if there is anyone else in the South that would like to meet and caravan up, or just dosen't want to drive the distance :)

What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would take part into which vehicle gets the honor.

#31 ·
What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would take part into which vehicle gets the honor.
It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.

#30 ·
I drove from Atlanta to Chicago in my supercharged Tahoe back in November. Took me 11 hours, the smokey mountains were fun :thumbsup:

#32 ·
Depending on which part of ATL, I am about 90-120mins South.... so 13hrs seems about right.

It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.
Wait.....what? Seriosuly?

That is PERFECT top down weather.... I was thinking late Augest would be cold (below 60's) man I have been out of NY way too long. Thats what that was in reference to, if it was too cold for topless driving, then I'd take the Lincoln.... but if it isn't too cold (63* seems to be the cutoff) then the ol' BMW will be making the trip.... she needs alot of work until then, so I better get started! As of right now the A/C in the Bimmer dosen't even work, not that I think I would use it anyway... it's on the list of things to fix, but there are more important items first.

As for the Jeep... unless there are some trail days planned, then when talking another 2,000-mile roadtrip, 27mpg is much more appealing then 17.

Looking at Mapquest again, Chicago is also just about exactly 13hrs/800 miles from my home town in NY, which I told myself I want to make a trip back up this year, I'm thinking maybe I'll take 2 weeks off end of Augestish, go to the Chicago meet, then NY for a week. My hometown is 17hrs/1000-miles from my house, so I'll make that a 2-day trip.

The fun thing about the new Gov't job is comp time... means I can work a weekend/overtime and instead of getting paid OT for it, I can exchange it for time off, so even 10-days off (2 weeks), between now and Augest, not even counting vacation buildup, is plenty of time to work that time off.

Now I'm excited :)

#34 ·
:yeah: Willis Carrier (inventor of air conditioning) is one of my heroes. Seriously.

I've driven convertibles and enjoy them, but when it's hot (85º+) and humid, it's A/C all the way, baby. When I bought Betty, one of my conditions was that it had to have factory air. It didn't have to work (it didn't), but it had to have it. I've spent a lot of money to get it working, and it works beautifully.

On a long road trip (I will be driving more than 2,000 miles each way) with 8+ hour drives several days in a row, driving with the top down for hours at a time at highway speeds would be exhausting. But I'm old. :rolleyes:

#35 ·
July and August are the two hottest months of the year. It could easily be 90 degrees the last week of August with very high humidity and no wind. Now we just have to get Brizzal on board.

#49 ·
lol... easily be 90 and high humidity?

That is good for convertible weather.... I've gotten used to the heat since I've lived in FL/GA. Our Summers routinely stay in the high 90's, 100's and even 110ish.... so down into the 90's is a nice change.

Hopefully the A/C would be working though, just alot of things on the car to fix, most of the things are under $250/pop, which is fine, except for the suspension/brakes, I'd want the suspension address before such a trip.

Who is along the way? this is the route according to Map Quest,

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Macon&1s=GA&2c=Chicago&2s=IL

#36 ·
Well this is a CADILLAC meet, so my Mustang Vert stays in the garage. Too bad I'm not doing anything special to my ESC this year. Still looking forward to this. The third week works for me cause I have another meet there that Saturday in Busse Woods.

#38 ·
OK, it looks more likely that I will be able to drive to the meet. Between vacation and personal days I have accrued, I should have enough to drive the 2,300 miles each way without spending 15 hours a day behind the wheel. And thanks to a very cool road trip planner I found at gasbuddy.com, you can plug in your trip and your car, and it will calculate the cost of gas based on your car's EPA rating, plus the best local prices along your way depending on your car's range. Right now, it's looking like a bit over $300 round trip, but we'll see how much it is as summer approaches. In 2007, I spent over $800 in gas driving to and from Des Moines. And it was worth it.

I definitely now prefer Aug. 28-30. This will allow me to see my friends in eastern Washington and see the Hot August Nights car show in Lewiston, ID the weekend before; I just won't be showing my car this year. I can see Mt. Rushmore on the way, which I've never seen before, then head up to Minneapolis, so I can caravan to Chicago with Chad, Brian and Tanner.

It's not 100% certain I can drive (probably 75-80%). If gas prices go sky high or this year's tax bill is so bad that I have to borrow money to pay it, I'll likely have to fly. But I really want to take Sabrina on a road trip and bring Hoover.

#39 ·
Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.

#45 ·
No, but why pay more money for a plane ticket when Chicago is only 7 hours away. Perfect road trip!

#46 ·
August 28th - 30th it is then! My truck is for sale right now, I've had a few calls on it already. Who knows what the future may hold! But there's a good chance Ruthie will be going, so we'll be driving one way or another for sure.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.