Chicago Meet in August!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which weekend in August works for you for the meet?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • August 21-23

3 14.29%
  • August 28-30

5 23.81%
  • Neither

1 4.76%
  • Either weekend works for me

12 57.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Great Lakes Discussion, Chicago Meet in August!! in Cadillac Clubs, Local Chapters and Regional Forums; Originally Posted by Night Wolf What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would ...
    gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Re: Chicago Meet in August!!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
    What's the weather like in Chicago end of Augest? top-down worthy? I suppose that would take part into which vehicle gets the honor.
    It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post
    I drove from Atlanta to Chicago in my supercharged Tahoe back in November. Took me 11 hours, the smokey mountains were fun
    Depending on which part of ATL, I am about 90-120mins South.... so 13hrs seems about right.

It could be nice enough to do some top-down driving. But more likely, it will be hot and humid. So you'll want whichever car has the most reliable air conditioning. You'll probably need it.
    Wait.....what? Seriosuly?

That is PERFECT top down weather.... I was thinking late Augest would be cold (below 60's) man I have been out of NY way too long. Thats what that was in reference to, if it was too cold for topless driving, then I'd take the Lincoln.... but if it isn't too cold (63* seems to be the cutoff) then the ol' BMW will be making the trip.... she needs alot of work until then, so I better get started! As of right now the A/C in the Bimmer dosen't even work, not that I think I would use it anyway... it's on the list of things to fix, but there are more important items first.

As for the Jeep... unless there are some trail days planned, then when talking another 2,000-mile roadtrip, 27mpg is much more appealing then 17.

Looking at Mapquest again, Chicago is also just about exactly 13hrs/800 miles from my home town in NY, which I told myself I want to make a trip back up this year, I'm thinking maybe I'll take 2 weeks off end of Augestish, go to the Chicago meet, then NY for a week. My hometown is 17hrs/1000-miles from my house, so I'll make that a 2-day trip.

The fun thing about the new Gov't job is comp time... means I can work a weekend/overtime and instead of getting paid OT for it, I can exchange it for time off, so even 10-days off (2 weeks), between now and Augest, not even counting vacation buildup, is plenty of time to work that time off.

Now I'm excited

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Trust me, you will come to appreciate air conditioning in Chicago during August.

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Trust me, you will come to appreciate air conditioning in Chicago during August.
    Willis Carrier (inventor of air conditioning) is one of my heroes. Seriously.

I've driven convertibles and enjoy them, but when it's hot (85º+) and humid, it's A/C all the way, baby. When I bought Betty, one of my conditions was that it had to have factory air. It didn't have to work (it didn't), but it had to have it. I've spent a lot of money to get it working, and it works beautifully.

On a long road trip (I will be driving more than 2,000 miles each way) with 8+ hour drives several days in a row, driving with the top down for hours at a time at highway speeds would be exhausting. But I'm old.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

July and August are the two hottest months of the year. It could easily be 90 degrees the last week of August with very high humidity and no wind. Now we just have to get Brizzal on board.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Well this is a CADILLAC meet, so my Mustang Vert stays in the garage. Too bad I'm not doing anything special to my ESC this year. Still looking forward to this. The third week works for me cause I have another meet there that Saturday in Busse Woods.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I've never taken a Cadillac to a Cadillac meet.

I drove the BMW in June humidity last year with the top down. Its reasonably cool on the highway. At idle in traffic, not much fun.

OK, it looks more likely that I will be able to drive to the meet. Between vacation and personal days I have accrued, I should have enough to drive the 2,300 miles each way without spending 15 hours a day behind the wheel. And thanks to a very cool road trip planner I found at gasbuddy.com, you can plug in your trip and your car, and it will calculate the cost of gas based on your car's EPA rating, plus the best local prices along your way depending on your car's range. Right now, it's looking like a bit over $300 round trip, but we'll see how much it is as summer approaches. In 2007, I spent over $800 in gas driving to and from Des Moines. And it was worth it.

I definitely now prefer Aug. 28-30. This will allow me to see my friends in eastern Washington and see the Hot August Nights car show in Lewiston, ID the weekend before; I just won't be showing my car this year. I can see Mt. Rushmore on the way, which I've never seen before, then head up to Minneapolis, so I can caravan to Chicago with Chad, Brian and Tanner.

It's not 100% certain I can drive (probably 75-80%). If gas prices go sky high or this year's tax bill is so bad that I have to borrow money to pay it, I'll likely have to fly. But I really want to take Sabrina on a road trip and bring Hoover.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

CadillacGurl is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Hyundai Elantra

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Don't know if I'll be driving to this meet, it all depends on what Brian and Tanner will have at that point.
    Well, you could always fly...

You can ride down with me and Hoover if I drive. You'd need to catch a ride back with Tanner or Brian, since I will head west on I-88 toward Des Moines that Sunday night.

If we're going to a racetrack, though, you should bring the Benz.

jey
    jey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post
    I drove from Atlanta to Chicago in my supercharged Tahoe back in November. Took me 11 hours, the smokey mountains were fun
    Wow the gas bill on that trip must have been incredible. Actually let's see, November, that's when gas came back down to under $2 - ok, I see why you took it in November and not October

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    You can ride down with me and Hoover if I drive. You'd need to catch a ride back with Tanner or Brian, since I will head west on I-88 toward Des Moines that Sunday night.

If we're going to a racetrack, though, you should bring the Benz.
    If we go to a racetrack, I may have to bring my car, I'm dying to know what she runs in the 1/4, but if we do autox, then forget it.
    Otherwise, if I don't drive, it would be fun to ride down with you.

It's funny though, we should drive a CADILLAC to a Cadillac meet, and Tanner's is now (finally) running, but it gets like 6mpg so that kinda rules him out for the time being, and Brian has no Cadillac anymore (I'll see if I can't talk him back into one) so depending on whether or not Ruthie is gonna go, we may take her '93 SdV down. If she doesn't go, then either Tanner or I will take our cars, because whatever Brian has is gonna cost us a LOT more in gas than the CdV or S320.....unless I can talk him back into an LT1 Brougham, that got us 28mpg on the way down to Davenport, IA, doing 78-82 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacGurl View Post
    Well, you could always fly...

Hahaha, oh Nicki you're funny!

Current:

Past:

CadillacGurl is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Hyundai Elantra

Hahaha, oh Nicki you're funny!
    Are you one of those people that won't set foot on a plane??

No, but why pay more money for a plane ticket when Chicago is only 7 hours away. Perfect road trip!

Current:

Past:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.