Cadillac Owners Forum banner
23K views 196 replies 20 participants last post by  CadillacGurl 
#1 ·
Are any of you up for doing an auto show/get together weekend this year. I know Nick is planning on having the Midwest meet here this year so you may not want to drive here twice but I think it would be fun if we could get together more than once a year. I never made it last year because of work but if we get something together within the next few weeks I could make it. Let me know what you all think.

#34 ·
Okay, list of who is coming so far:

Me
Gary
Elias
Chad
gdwriter
Jimmy
Cliff8928
CadSTS2003sgurl (Jason as well?)

Unsure people:

Brian
Jesda
Rodya
Gizmo (afraid of snow apparently)

gdwriter is arriving Sat. afternoon. Chad, any idea on what day you would be heading down here and have you talked to Tanner at all? Jesda, if you are able to make it do you have any idea when you would be driving up? I am assuming that the rest of us can come and go as we please because we all live in the area. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone and I hope I got all your names right.

#61 ·
Highline has been sick. Very Sick and I have not seen him since before Christmas. As a mater of fact he hasn't been to work either. If he pulls out of what ever he caught will will head down.

He was out moving cars on the lot in the freezing rain they had up here when I was down south for Christmas. It started out as the Flu (like the one people die from), Bronchitis, and an inner ear infection. Then he caught something else. I think he caught it from that Ford he bought LOL.

#35 ·
I may meet you guys in the evening, depending on where you wind up. I ain't going downtown. I despise going into the city. I'm way up NW, a bit farther than JimmyH (but closer than Nodih). Anyway, if I'm not snowmobiling in Wisconsin, I may meet you guys. Guess that puts me in the maybe column.

#36 ·
I'd try to get that Friday off work and head down Friday morning. Much like last year, I'd try to be in Chicago around 4 or 5. Looks like I need to start saving my money for the trip! :thumbsup: Last time I spent roughly $400 that weekend, between gas and everything else. So it's not cheap, but so worth it.

#40 ·
Well, until further notice I have school on the 13th. I'll already be halfway downtown, but my commute always knocks me out and I don't get home till 4:30 or 5. :yawn:

14th+15th may be possible.

14th: If I can convince my girl either A: Come with, or B: that I have a very good alternative to being with her on valentines day. :thepan:

15th: should be good.

Now I only have the task of convincing my parents that they should let me go hang out with "people from the internet". :bouncy:

#45 ·
I am 95% sure I can do the 13th-15th of February. My car seats two people, so I may take the train up with my friends. If my brother comes, we'll take his Seville.

I will look into hotel deals through Priceline. Hopefully its as cheap as last year, which ended up being about $20/person for a Doubletree with 3.5 star amenities.

#47 ·
Comfort Suites in Oakbrook Terrace (out by me) has rooms for $63 a night. Search for rooms near Lisle, IL and there are lots that are quite cheap.

#52 ·
Well guys and gal, I am now not sure about my availability to be there. I went to visit my grandfather yesterday and he is not doing very well. He has Lymphoma (cancer) and the doctors took him off chemo a few months ago because it was no longer effective. Since then it has hit him really hard and at best he has another month and a half left in him. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but that is my situation. I am 80% sure I will at least make it on Sunday for the Auto Show but the other days I may spend with him since I already have them off work. I may also be able to work something out where I am available Friday or Saturday night. I'll just be playing it by ear.

#54 ·
^ Not yet. He never wanted to be stuck in a hospital when it was his time to go and he has said that to us many times. The house they are living in now they had built with doors that are too small to fit a stretcher through them because he always wanted to go at home. As of now my uncle is staying with my grandparents and helping them out.

#55 ·
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I know how you feel though, my grandpa died a month and a half ago, and his situation was quite similar. Well I hope you can make it for atleast Sunday, but if not, we all understand.

#56 ·
So what's the agenda lookin' like for the idea? I wanna get a rough idea of what I might miss if I don't come down on Friday..

#59 · (Edited)
These may have to be altered depending on where you are staying. I am assuming you will be getting a hotel in the suburbs as they are way cheaper and you can actually park within half a mile of your hotel. The area around Lombard is loaded with hotels because of the massive amount of large companies that call the town home.

For Friday I was thinking we would just chill somewhere until roughly 5PM or until everyone arrives who is planning on coming here that day. Then we could have dinner at either Portillos or the Patio as suggested by Gary, which ever was preferred. After that we could just do something simple like go bowling. There may not be many people here that day but it would beat having to drive here early on Saturday morning.

Saturday: Maybe start the morning by going by the car dealers on Ogden. Have a stop over at Ferrari, Maserati and some of the other exotic dealers on our way to the city. Have lunch somewhere downtown, maybe the Rock & Roll McDonalds. :) For the rest of the day we can just go sight seeing. I haven't been to either the Field museum or the Museum of Science and Industry in a while. In case you didn't know, MSI (much shorter to type) has moved the U-505 submarine indoors and you can now walk around it. The new exhibit for it is very cool.

Someone has to be at Midway around 1:45 to pick up gdwriter. If you did want to head to MSI for an afternoon we could pick him up on the way there. My grandparents are also members so I might be able to get some people in for free and parking will also be free. For dinner we would probably go to Giordano's downtown. Unfortunately, its Valentine's day so we are gonna have to make a reservation early and hope its not too crowded. I don't know what would be done Saturday evening. I know nothing about the city's night life and am too young :( to go to a night club/bar so you people who know the city will have to chime in here. However, there ain't much to do in the 'burbs either.

Sunday we could meet somewhere for breakfast, granted everyone is staying in the same hotel or in hotels close to each other. We eat so much bacon that we are going to explode. Then head to McCormick place for the show. Ideally we would be there right when it opens (10AM) and stay until roughly 2-2:30 as gdwriters flight leaves at 3:50 and its a long drive back to both Minnesota and St. Louis.

#65 ·
Yeah, no problem I've still got your number.

I've got JRau's email too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.