horn not working properly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, horn not working properly in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; among some other issues that i am having with my 88 cadillac deville, the horn does not work correctly and ...
    r0guenj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

horn not working properly

among some other issues that i am having with my 88 cadillac deville, the horn does not work correctly and i have had to leave it disconnected (the previous owner disconnected it).

whenever i turn the steering whel, the relay near the glove box activates. if i hit the horn on the steering wheel, i can hear that same relay activate.

what can i check in the steering wheel? is there a special cartridge/connector/adapter like the ones in srs (airbag) equipped steering wheels that keeps power going to the steering wheel while turning it?

or is it likely that it is just a loose wire?

i was hoping to fix this when i get home from work in a couple of hours so any help would be appreciated.

PS: i don't have the factory service manual yet, but i will be getting one soon (as soon as i can unload my factory service manual from my old 1990 deville)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: horn not working properly

It sounds like there's a wire in your steering column that's shorting out that's making it honk when you turn the wheel. The switch and the plugs are probably built into the rubbery pad part of the steering wheel so you should be able to get that off pretty easily to see if there is just a loose plug.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

There's no clock spring like in airbag equipped cars. Its merely a copper ring that has a spring loaded terminal from the horn button that rides on it. When that is grounded (by pushing the button usually) the horn relay is triggered. Maybe a wire was pinched when someone last worked on the steering pad?

r0guenj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ok, i managed to get some time off and pop the steering wheel off.

it looks like the large metal spring that is part of the telescoping mechanism touches the horn relay. do you have any suggestions to keep this from happening? or is that spring also part of the horn (i was just going to remove it as i don't use the telescope function).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.