85 Fleetwood driving me crazy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, Just replaced the starter, battery, neg battery cable and can't get my 85 Fleetwood to start. Turns over ...
    bludbot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

Hey guys,

Just replaced the starter, battery, neg battery cable and can't get my 85 Fleetwood to start. Turns over but never gets there. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

Check and make sure you are getting spark. Then take the air cleaner assembly off and watch the two injectors and make sure they are squirting out fuel. Post whichever one is not hapening, and we'll give you more related things to check.

Angry Re: 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Check and make sure you are getting spark. Then take the air cleaner assembly off and watch the two injectors and make sure they are squirting out fuel. Post whichever one is not hapening, and we'll give you more related things to check.
    we are getting spark and fuel. Got any idea how to set the timing and check the mark on lower pully. Thing still not starting.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You need a timing light to check the timing. Nothing you did would have affected the timing so if it started before that shouldn't be a problem.

Question Re: 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    You need a timing light to check the timing. Nothing you did would have affected the timing so if it started before that shouldn't be a problem.

the thing is , it quit while driving wouldnt start back up. have replaced the starter, battery and it won't' start. Sounds like its dragging bad. We went to check the distributor. my brother did, said it was not back firing but it wasn't firing right. It was turning over 3 or 4 times before it would fire. they proceed to check it by placing a screw driver in the #1 plug holel, rotating the crank shaft pulley clockwize till it stopped. Pulled the screw driver out of the hole. the timing mark on the crank shaft pulley was on the bottom side of the motor, is this the corrrect way to do TDC on this type motor? Also when placing the distributor into the motor do you line the #! on the cap or the #! cylinder when TDCing the distributor.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Sounds like a classic timing chain failure. Just like any engine, bring no. 1 piston to top dead center and confirm timing marks lined up. Might have to rotate the engine twice to verify. The use of a screw driver is crude but does work, as the piston raises so does the screw driver. As top dead center is reached and the piston goes past, the screw driver will drop. You check the timing marks when the screw driver neither raises nor lowers. If in fact the camshaft timing gear failed, pieces of the nylon gear fall into the oil pan. Repaired properly, the oil pan should be removed and those pieces removed as part of the replacement of the timing gear set. Verify, verify! before tearing it apart!

Good luck, Bill.

Question Re: 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

[QUOTE=carnut]Sounds like a classic timing chain failure. Just like any engine, bring no. 1 piston to top dead center and confirm timing marks lined up. Might have to rotate the engine twice to verify. The use of a screw driver is crude but does work, as the piston raises so does the screw driver. As top dead center is reached and the piston goes past, the screw driver will drop. You check the timing marks when the screw driver neither raises nor lowers. If in fact the camshaft timing gear failed, pieces of the nylon gear fall into the oil pan. Repaired properly, the oil pan should be removed and those pieces removed as part of the replacement of the timing gear set. Verify, verify! before tearing it apart!

Good luck, Bill.[/QUOTE

Well, we did what you said and every time the cylender came up instead of being on tdc the timing mark was at 6 oclock. it is still turning over slow and no start. It seems to be getting worse. Any bright ideas welcom. These guys have been workin their butts off and the Caddy still not moving. They tried moving the distributor etc. Nada. they are all banging their heads. Seems to me that it should have started after the battery and strarter were replaced. But what do I know. Your help is appreciated.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Check and make sure the distributor rotor is turning when you crank the engine.

Angry Re: 85 Fleetwood driving me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Check and make sure the distributor rotor is turning when you crank the engine.
    Yes the rotor is turning.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.