alarm help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, alarm help in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ok i dont knwo what it is but when i get in to me car i press the key pad ...
    Xmugsyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

alarm help

ok i dont knwo what it is but when i get in to me car i press the key pad it shuts off the alarm i go and try to start it it disabaels the starting and i have to wait 3 mins to try again but why is it not starting when the alarm is off and i notice that the sucrity light comes on here and then when i am driveing any one help me witht his one ??? its a 94 eldorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: alarm help

It sounds like the pellet in the key or the sensor in the ignition lock for it might be worn out. Did you try using another key to see if it has the same problem?

DannyR619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

I had this same problem. Its the the VATS system, in the key hole, thats not making good contact with the little resistor on your key. I took it in to the dealer and it was about $350 to replace the ignition cylinder, and two new keys(ugly GM one, not the gold ones with the cadillac emblem). If you do go to the dealer tell them straight off just to replace the ignition cylinder, this way you save the $84 diagnosis fee. Search this forum for "wait three minutes," some people had other fixes that worked for them.
    Attached Images

philthy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Try cleaning the keys or try your spare set first, or bypass the system. I just had mine bypassed. All you have to do is get resistor(s) that match the resistance of the chip on your key. There are two very small wires encased in a tube that looks a lot like another wire (mine was orange) leading from the ignition switch. cut the wires and put the resistor across them. I had an friend's brother who does auto alarms do it and he only charged $50 to do it at my house. He had to come out and do it because I put it off until the car decided not to start at all. While he was there, he put in a remote start system. Don't delay, you never know when the car will decide to cut off completely instead of making you wait a few minutes. Mine died on the street during a snow storm, and I had to push it into the garage so he could work on it !!

DannyR619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

i heard about the bypass option, but i decided to just replace it because i wanted the extra layer of security. But i could find the 2 wires to put the resistor between anyways.

Xmugsyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so i have to open the steering colom to bypass it if that the fact i should just replace it dose any one know if caddie dealer might just have them in the parts departmen

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

This is what I was talking about in the other post. I think the wires should be pretty easy to get to because I've never read anything about anyone digging into their steering column to do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.