Cadillac Owners Forum banner

90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bob2231 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new to the board and am in need of help in a bad way. My fuel data and enviro data readout on my 1990 Cadillac Deville blinks when I turn my headlights on? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Darrell

#2 ·
Your fuel pump is under the car, drop the gas tank when it's almost empty- so it's lighter, I know, we had to replace the fuel pump just a few weeks ago, what may be out is the actual gauge that tells you how much gas you have in your tank. The lights, you may have a flasher that's going out.

#4 ·
Let me be more clear on my question. Sorry about that. And I hope I didn't post in the wrong area.

On my dash, the digital readout for my fuel and heat/ac/etc....blinks when I turn my headlights on. But they only blink when the headlights are turned on. I can switch the lights off and the readout displays nicely. I guess I could only drive it during the day right? *Laugh* *joking*

Please help me...

Darrell
90 Cadillac Deville Owner, and proud of it :bouncy:

#5 ·
By blinking, do you mean they blink off and remain off with the headlights turned on? Or do they continually blink dim, bright, dim, bright until you shut off the lights? If they just blink off, I would see if the dash light reostat switch is rotated to the dimmest position. The answer about the fuel pump was to the other poster. Not you. Blinking on/off repeatedly usually means a circuit breaker is overheated, but I doubt thats what you're trying to describe. Pull out the headlight switch knob, try rotating it counter clockwise. Can it be that simple? please post with results

#6 ·
carnut said:
By blinking, do you mean they blink off and remain off with the headlights turned on? Or do they continually blink dim, bright, dim, bright until you shut off the lights? If they just blink off, I would see if the dash light reostat switch is rotated to the dimmest position. The answer about the fuel pump was to the other poster. Not you. Blinking on/off repeatedly usually means a circuit breaker is overheated, but I doubt thats what you're trying to describe. Pull out the headlight switch knob, try rotating it counter clockwise. Can it be that simple? please post with results
They repeatedly blink from low to bright. The turning of the headlight switch only affects the dash lights not the digital readout. I'm stumped on this one. :confused: Could the headlight switch be bad?

#8 ·
carnut said:
Most likely the BCM or the connector to it.

Thanks......I'll check my connections again. I just put a new BCM on the car. A rather exspensive little piece of equipment. $178.00 with tax I believe is what I gave for it at the dealer. You are talking about the Blower Motor Control Module?

I really appreciate your patience with me, and thanks for all of your help. I hope I can get those flickering lights fixed because at night they could drive a person :disappoin crazy.

Darrell

#13 ·
darrbey said:
Hi there,

I'm new to the board and am in need of help in a bad way. My fuel data and enviro data readout on my 1990 Cadillac Deville blinks when I turn my headlights on? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Darrell
Before you get too into the BCM, my best guess is your headlight switch is going bad. The control that adjusts the brightness of your dash display is part of that and it sounds like your's is going back and forth between lights on, and daylight settings.
I think I'd try that light switch first.
Bob

#17 ·
darrbey said:
Did you have this happen to your car? Mine gets worse sometimes and then better on other times. I was going to order one from AutoZone but I had 3 choices and wasnt sure which one to purchase.
My problem was with a Chevelle I bought that a previous owner had wired his own stereo from a fuse tap. I went through a few switches before I found the bad wiring.
Your best bet is to take out your switch and take it to the parts store. They can match it to the right choice.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.