90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi there, I'm new to the board and am in need of help in a bad way. My fuel data ...
    darrbey is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help

Hi there,

I'm new to the board and am in need of help in a bad way. My fuel data and enviro data readout on my 1990 Cadillac Deville blinks when I turn my headlights on? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
    Darrell

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

annasr02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help

Your fuel pump is under the car, drop the gas tank when it's almost empty- so it's lighter, I know, we had to replace the fuel pump just a few weeks ago, what may be out is the actual gauge that tells you how much gas you have in your tank. The lights, you may have a flasher that's going out.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

What does blinking dash lights have to do with a faulty fuel pump? Is this response attached to the wrong thread?

Question Re: 90 Deville..Blinking Fuel Data, and Enviro Data Display...Help

Let me be more clear on my question. Sorry about that. And I hope I didn't post in the wrong area.

On my dash, the digital readout for my fuel and heat/ac/etc....blinks when I turn my headlights on. But they only blink when the headlights are turned on. I can switch the lights off and the readout displays nicely. I guess I could only drive it during the day right? *Laugh* *joking*

Please help me...

Darrell
    90 Cadillac Deville Owner, and proud of it

By blinking, do you mean they blink off and remain off with the headlights turned on? Or do they continually blink dim, bright, dim, bright until you shut off the lights? If they just blink off, I would see if the dash light reostat switch is rotated to the dimmest position. The answer about the fuel pump was to the other poster. Not you. Blinking on/off repeatedly usually means a circuit breaker is overheated, but I doubt thats what you're trying to describe. Pull out the headlight switch knob, try rotating it counter clockwise. Can it be that simple? please post with results

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    By blinking, do you mean they blink off and remain off with the headlights turned on? Or do they continually blink dim, bright, dim, bright until you shut off the lights? If they just blink off, I would see if the dash light reostat switch is rotated to the dimmest position. The answer about the fuel pump was to the other poster. Not you. Blinking on/off repeatedly usually means a circuit breaker is overheated, but I doubt thats what you're trying to describe. Pull out the headlight switch knob, try rotating it counter clockwise. Can it be that simple? please post with results
    They repeatedly blink from low to bright. The turning of the headlight switch only affects the dash lights not the digital readout. I'm stumped on this one. Could the headlight switch be bad?

Most likely the BCM or the connector to it.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    Most likely the BCM or the connector to it.

Thanks......I'll check my connections again. I just put a new BCM on the car. A rather exspensive little piece of equipment. $178.00 with tax I believe is what I gave for it at the dealer. You are talking about the Blower Motor Control Module?

I really appreciate your patience with me, and thanks for all of your help. I hope I can get those flickering lights fixed because at night they could drive a person :disappoin crazy.

Darrell

Big Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

BCM - Body Control Module. The computer that runs everything but the engine/trans. Look for loose plugs/bad connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim
    BCM - Body Control Module. The computer that runs everything but the engine/trans. Look for loose plugs/bad connections.

Good deal, thanks for the information. You wouldn't by any chance know where it is located would you?

question4u is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by darrbey
    Good deal, thanks for the information. You wouldn't by any chance know where it is located would you?
    I am not positive if yours is in the same spot but I have a 93 deville and the BCM on that was behind the ECM which is behind the glovebox.

itzdoja is offline Cadillac Owners Member

take the screws out of the glove box liner and lift it out you will see 2 vertical boxes to the right and a horizontal silver box on mine it had a torx bolt and slid right out dont forget to open it and take your chips out

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hi there,

I'm new to the board and am in need of help in a bad way. My fuel data and enviro data readout on my 1990 Cadillac Deville blinks when I turn my headlights on? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
    Darrell
    Before you get too into the BCM, my best guess is your headlight switch is going bad. The control that adjusts the brightness of your dash display is part of that and it sounds like your's is going back and forth between lights on, and daylight settings.
    I think I'd try that light switch first.
    Bob

You are right. The problem is in the light switch. I can make it quit blinking by turning the lights to dim, and it will start back when I brighten them.

Thanks!

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

You are right. The problem is in the light switch. I can make it quit blinking by turning the lights to dim, and it will start back when I brighten them.

Thanks!

I'm glad it's a cheap fix. You can live with it for a littlw while, but don't go too long. They take a total crap all at once.
    Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.