Keyless Entry RANGE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Keyless Entry RANGE in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The range on my keyless entry is pertty much non existant. I have to be sitting on top of the ...
    WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Keyless Entry RANGE

The range on my keyless entry is pertty much non existant. I have to be sitting on top of the car, before it will work. (well, about 5 feet will do it...sometimes) but you get the picture. I have changed batteries in my keyfob many times. No change. Purchased a shiny new keyfob. No change. Replaced the batteries in that. No change any suggestions? (oh, its a 97 STS)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Re: Keyless Entry RANGE

Someone on the Eldorado/Seville Forum once referenced a technical service bulletin that suggested something like putting aluminum foil under the RKE module to improve reception. Maybe if you search hard enough you might locate it.

BTW, you can usually double or triple the range by holding the fob to your chin. Really! Try it, it works.

Regards,
    Warren

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Or the side of your head. The Eldorado and Seville's RKE module is on the back of the rear seat, accessible via trunk. The "antenna" is just a strip of 3cm or so wide metal tape that runs along about half of the width of the seat, and one diagonally at about a 30 degree angle to it the other line. They intersect right at the RKE box, but there's no direct connection to it. One of mine was damaged when something flew across the trunk into the back of the seat, so I used a piece of metal tape, about 6mm wide, the high heat pure aluminum tape to replace it (I just stuck it over what was there), and it did wonders for range.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It's funny, but sometimes the range varies by where you're using it. I had a 91 Seville and the transmitter would work from 50-60 feet in the parking lot where I work, but I could lie it on the car and it wouldn't work if I used it in Manhatten.

FrankT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Cool Re: Keyless Entry RANGE

What you guys are saying is very true. My 99 sts has a very poor range also I replaced everything like WoodShoe. So I located the RKE module and checked out the antenna like Zorb750 I could not find the antenna on my 99. I took apart the module and found out it has a small sliver can which is an internal antenna. I ran a jumper wire from the can along the bottom of the package tray to a ground. Now only the unlock range is poor, the lock range is excellent, almost doubled range.

I also went back and placed aluminum foil over the module still poor range when unlocking only.
    I’m not done yet going to keep trying different ways of improving the range, I can be standing next to the car and have to keep hitting the unlock button several times for the car to unlock.

Frank

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT
    I took apart the module and found out it has a small sliver can which is an internal antenna. I ran a jumper wire from the can along the bottom of the package tray to a ground. Now only the unlock range is poor, the lock range is excellent, almost doubled range.

Frank
    Remove the end of your "antenna" jumper from ground and run the wire up the rear edge of the package tray so it is behind the rear glass.

Cool Re: Keyless Entry RANGE

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Remove the end of your "antenna" jumper from ground and run the wire up the rear edge of the package tray so it is behind the rear glass.
    JimD You da man, I did as you said, I thought maybe grounding the wire would cause the whole car to act as an antenna. I now have over double the range when requesting Lock or Unlock. I am very pleased with the range now.
    Thanks,
    Frank

caddyalwaysready is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS

Try That

Hi friends,You know Russian roulette? yeah you should try like this.put your remote control beside of your head and you will see the range .

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

It has more to do with altitude than being near your head. Try it with your arm fully extended straight above your head and see what range you get. Try it again standing on a ten foot ladder and see what range you get.....

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    It has more to do with altitude than being near your head. Try it with your arm fully extended straight above your head and see what range you get.
    Nope. You try it JimD.

Hold the fob in your hand in front of your head at eye level and try it. Now hold it to your chin and try again at a greater distance. You'll notice a great increase in range.

It's a curious phenomenon that befuddles even technically aware folk.

Regards,
    Warren

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Chin or side of head, like above temple area.

99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Before anyone goes ripping out the carpeting in the trunk like I did, the RKE module was infact NOT on the rear seat, but rather right next to the light in the trunk, which you cannot miss.

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Do you guys know where this remote module is in a 98 Deville? My remote range is about 8 feet

Quote Originally Posted by weister42
    Do you guys know where this remote module is in a 98 Deville? My remote range is about 8 feet
    On a 98 Deville the RKE module is called a RFA module and the location is mid-way behind of the rear seat, but you access it though the truck. It may have a different antenna than the RKE module.
    Frank

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

FrankT, do you have pictures of this by chance? it would be very helpful before I go tearing into my trunk now that it's snowy and cold here in Northern Michigan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.