Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Keyless Entry RANGE

9K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  hrd2bchelle 
#1 ·
The range on my keyless entry is pertty much non existant. I have to be sitting on top of the car, before it will work. (well, about 5 feet will do it...sometimes) but you get the picture. I have changed batteries in my keyfob many times. No change. Purchased a shiny new keyfob. No change. Replaced the batteries in that. No change :banghead: any suggestions? (oh, its a 97 STS)

#2 ·
Someone on the Eldorado/Seville Forum once referenced a technical service bulletin that suggested something like putting aluminum foil under the RKE module to improve reception. Maybe if you search hard enough you might locate it.

BTW, you can usually double or triple the range by holding the fob to your chin. Really! Try it, it works.

Regards,
Warren

#3 ·
Or the side of your head. The Eldorado and Seville's RKE module is on the back of the rear seat, accessible via trunk. The "antenna" is just a strip of 3cm or so wide metal tape that runs along about half of the width of the seat, and one diagonally at about a 30 degree angle to it the other line. They intersect right at the RKE box, but there's no direct connection to it. One of mine was damaged when something flew across the trunk into the back of the seat, so I used a piece of metal tape, about 6mm wide, the high heat pure aluminum tape to replace it (I just stuck it over what was there), and it did wonders for range.

#5 ·
What you guys are saying is very true. My 99 sts has a very poor range also I replaced everything like WoodShoe. So I located the RKE module and checked out the antenna like Zorb750 I could not find the antenna on my 99. I took apart the module and found out it has a small sliver can which is an internal antenna. I ran a jumper wire from the can along the bottom of the package tray to a ground. Now only the unlock range is poor, the lock range is excellent, almost doubled range.

I also went back and placed aluminum foil over the module still poor range when unlocking only.
I’m not done yet going to keep trying different ways of improving the range, I can be standing next to the car and have to keep hitting the unlock button several times for the car to unlock. :rant2:

Frank

#6 ·
FrankT said:
I took apart the module and found out it has a small sliver can which is an internal antenna. I ran a jumper wire from the can along the bottom of the package tray to a ground. Now only the unlock range is poor, the lock range is excellent, almost doubled range.

Frank
Remove the end of your "antenna" jumper from ground and run the wire up the rear edge of the package tray so it is behind the rear glass.

#7 ·
JimD said:
Remove the end of your "antenna" jumper from ground and run the wire up the rear edge of the package tray so it is behind the rear glass.
JimD You da man,:) I did as you said, I thought maybe grounding the wire would cause the whole car to act as an antenna.:confused: I now have over double the range when requesting Lock or Unlock. I am very pleased with the range now.:thumbsup:
Thanks,
Frank

#9 ·
It has more to do with altitude than being near your head. Try it with your arm fully extended straight above your head and see what range you get. Try it again standing on a ten foot ladder and see what range you get.....

#10 · (Edited)
JimD said:
It has more to do with altitude than being near your head. Try it with your arm fully extended straight above your head and see what range you get.
Nope. You try it JimD.

Hold the fob in your hand in front of your head at eye level and try it. Now hold it to your chin and try again at a greater distance. You'll notice a great increase in range. :)

It's a curious phenomenon that befuddles even technically aware folk.

Regards,
Warren

#18 ·
If the link to Photobucket works, these pictures might help for '98 to '04 Sevilles.

Remove the trim panel from the bottom of the parcel tray; where the trunk light is located. Unsnap the plastic assembly and pay attention to how it is oriented so you can install it again.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/JimDphotobucket/TrunklampRKEassembly.jpg

Remove the RKE module and remove the cover of the module. The circular land at the bottom RH corner is where you want to solder a non-stranded hookup wire. Choose wire with a neutral color insulation or a color that blends with your interior.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/JimDphotobucket/DSC01334.jpg

Feed the wire through the hole in the cover and put it all back together.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/JimDphotobucket/RKEboxwithantenna.jpg

Feed the wire into the cabin directly in front of the rear glass at the rear edge of the parcel tray. The wire length is not critical; all you are trying to do is feed the RF to the RKE module that is otherwise shielded by the car body.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/JimDphotobucket/DSC01336.jpg

Have fun.

#25 ·
The 1997 model years use a different keyless entry module located in the trunk under the package tray. Your poblem may be bad keyfobs or corrosion/ connection in the keyfob. Have you replaced the battery?

see the attached link for a pic of a 97 module.

The 99STS has an antenna enhancement modification that will help the keyless range.
See post 18 for pics, JimD was kind enough to post these pics. Thanks JimD :thumbsup:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...y-range-2.html?highlight=keyless+entery+range

#24 ·
A big issue with any radio link like this is interferring signals from another source that swamp or overload the receiver. Your range problem may not be your equipment at all but the result of transmissions from other sources prevalent in an urban setting. Examples would be, automatic doors, radio and TV stations, security systems, cordless phones, baby monitors and the Lord knows what else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.