Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Keyless Entry RANGE

9K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  hrd2bchelle 
#1 ·
The range on my keyless entry is pertty much non existant. I have to be sitting on top of the car, before it will work. (well, about 5 feet will do it...sometimes) but you get the picture. I have changed batteries in my keyfob many times. No change. Purchased a shiny new keyfob. No change. Replaced the batteries in that. No change :banghead: any suggestions? (oh, its a 97 STS)

#30 ·
I did mine up today. What an easy job! I used an old wire wall mount FM antenna that I think came from my Panasonic all-in-one stereo system from the 1970's. After soldering the base wires to the remote receiver, I ran the two separate antenna leads up through one of the baby car seat anchor points that is behind a zipper opening at top/middle of the back seat. After running the wires across the entire seat back, I stuffed them between the rear deck and the seat so one can't see them. The result is a significant increase in the range. I was across the street at a neighbor’s house easily 100 ft away and it worked. There was also an improvement in the speed that I can program the TPMS system which was hit or miss before depending on the outside temp.

#31 · (Edited)
I followed the instructions for my 1999 Seville STS, they are good, but found that some of the photo links are now dead, I've included new ones, it may help someone.

I ran the new antenna under the rear seat and then tucked it under the plastic floor/carpet trim that runs from back to the front drivers side, and then up the side of the dash, it increased the range from about 3-4ft to 5-7ft, still crap but better than it was.

RKE module

In the trunk, underneath the rear dash shelf, location of RKE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.