Need 98 STS front seat heat module
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Need 98 STS front seat heat module in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Trying to get my heated seat working....Looking for a heated front seat module for a '98 sts. Anyone have an ...
    Guy,mn.usa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Need 98 STS front seat heat module

Trying to get my heated seat working....Looking for a heated front seat module for a '98 sts. Anyone have an extra one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Need 98 STS front seat heat module

You have an extra one if you are talking about the module that controls the heating operation. Swap the other side module for the one that is not working.

Have you done continuity tests on the seat cushion and seat back heaters as well as the thermistor??

Guy,mn.usa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hate to take the passenger side as it rivited and working great! Is there one in the back seat I could use? And No I have not done any testing of the elements....how do you do that?

Based on the wiring diagrams and the connector arrangement, all four heated seat positions use the same control module but I don't know that for a fact. The rear seat modules are behind the rear seat back. Might be easier to swap one of those (good idea!).

Also be aware there are 10 A fuses under the rear seat cushion for each seat position labled like HTDST LF, HTDST RF and so on.

If you are experienced and comfortable with a VOM, I can give you the connector description and pin identification (OK, GM calls them cavities) for a continuity check of the heater elements and the thermistor.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

are there fuses under all cadiilacs 97-99 model year? my deville has fuse boxes in the trunk

dormaj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Jim D - I've got the same problem with my '99 STS RF seat. I checked the fuse under the rear seat and it is fine (they really should put a fuse puller in that box).

Please explain (or send me info on) how to check the continutity on the seat back and cushion.

Thanks!

- Jeff

Happy to do that but I am not at home and it will be Wed. or Thur. before I can post the pin-outs. Someone else might be able to provide the information before I have a chance.

Jeff:
    If you still need the pin-outs, I'm good to go.

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The solution to both of your problems will be the seat cushion element...if you attempt to remove yourself, you will notice a burn mark in the element where it failed....very common for both front seats...it is highly unlikely you will need a module, as I have personally replaced well over 200 elements, and no modules for this failure...good luck.

dwardleworth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what is the approximate cost for replacement of a seat cushion element? I have power to the switches - but no heat in the seat, sounds like this is the right fix.

rolingcoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Hi. I was in the same boat as you folks up until yesterday. I have a 99 STS and the drivers seat heater quit working. I swapped the module between the front seats (easier than it looks at first) and found it was not the module. SO i ordered an element from Gmpartsdirect for $75. I took the base out of the drivers seat and pulled the cover off. (Note: probably didn't need to detach the whole base, it would be easier just to pull the cover off) On the under side of the cover I was suprised to see not 1 but 3 different heating elements. The center element had an easy to see burn mark and a broken/scorched wire. I was pretty pissed as I had spent $75 on the side element when it was the center element that was broken. Not only do they not tell you there are multiple elements they have a no return policy... Anyway, I couldn't find the center element so I said "**** it" and soldered the wire back together. (after removing the scorched part of the wire). Duct taped the wire back in place, and put the seat back together. Guess what... it worked. Didn't need any new parts, just a little solder. Good luck!

CentreIce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Quote Originally Posted by rolingcoffe View Post
    Hi. I was in the same boat as you folks up until yesterday. I have a 99 STS and the drivers seat heater quit working. I swapped the module between the front seats (easier than it looks at first) and found it was not the module. SO i ordered an element from Gmpartsdirect for $75. I took the base out of the drivers seat and pulled the cover off. (Note: probably didn't need to detach the whole base, it would be easier just to pull the cover off) On the under side of the cover I was suprised to see not 1 but 3 different heating elements. The center element had an easy to see burn mark and a broken/scorched wire. I was pretty pissed as I had spent $75 on the side element when it was the center element that was broken. Not only do they not tell you there are multiple elements they have a no return policy... Anyway, I couldn't find the center element so I said "**** it" and soldered the wire back together. (after removing the scorched part of the wire). Duct taped the wire back in place, and put the seat back together. Guess what... it worked. Didn't need any new parts, just a little solder. Good luck!

How does one go about pulling the cover off the seat?

CaptainFishpond is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 99 DeVille (Grace Slick)

I might have one at work.

Ill check.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.