Power window doesn't work (2001 Deville)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Power window doesn't work (2001 Deville) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It is for the rear driver side. When I hit the switch, it just makes a clicking noise. I don't ...
    peteypablo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Power window doesn't work (2001 Deville)

It is for the rear driver side. When I hit the switch, it just makes a clicking noise. I don't think it is the motor. The other windows work fine. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Smile Re: Power window doesn't work (2001 Deville)

Access the switch and check for 12vdc being applied to the motor when the switch is toggled. If that works, check the winding resistance of the motor. Compare it to a known good motor in the other rear door. Check for binding or damage to the lift mechanism.. If all checks out okay, report back.
    CC

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Power window doesn't work (2001 Deville)

Do you hear a single click or a bunch of noise, like clicking and grinding?

The thing to do is to get yourself a test light and remove the door trim panel.
    I disconnect the motor connector, put the test light accross the connection on the harness end and reconnect any wires to make the switches work. Then hit the switch up and down. If the test light lights up in both directions then the problem is the motor/regulator. (sometimes you have to replace the regulator depending on the design) On an '01 Deville I think that has a cable regulator. I just replace those in one piece.
    If the test light does not light you have to check more stuff.
    If you have the skills to make it that far, let me know and I'll help you some more.

It only makes one click. It even clicks when I hit the try from the master switch. Do you still think it can be the switch?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The click might indicate that the switch is working, but as I said there is only one way to know for sure and that starts with taking the door panel off.
    What does it do when you push the switch on the door in question?

It could be a door control module, but like I said, you need to get to the connector with a test lamp.
    The relay could be clicking and trying to run the motor but the motor could be bad, not responding to the power.

In the old days I'd tell you to smack the door reallly hard (don't break anything) while holding the window switch and see if it starts working.

I pulled the panel and tested the motor and it worked fine. I can't find my test light but I hooked up the switch from the passenger side and it did the same thing, it just clicked. I noticed the clicking noise is coming from a module that 3 other harnesses are going to. So I hooked up the module from the passenger side and it did the same thing.
    So if it isn't the motor, regulator, switch, or module --- what can it be?

2000DevilleDHS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS

Check the harness were it goes through the door. Pop the connector out where it goes into the door post, disconnect and inspect the wiring right by the pins. I had the same problem with my 2000 DHS where it would just click when you hit the button and it turn out to be the ground wire broke on the door side of the pass through connector.

jmildoc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 01 Deville
    This thread saved me tons of frustration. Same thing happened to mine. Replaced the motor. Didn't fix it. Then looked on here. Well now I have a new motor and a fixed ground wire

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.