battery not charging
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, battery not charging in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 1998 deville delegance. I get the occasional "BATTERY NOT CHARGING " message. Today I got it but after I had ...
    norteno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville d'elegance

battery not charging

1998 deville delegance. I get the occasional "BATTERY NOT CHARGING " message. Today I got it but after I had been driving around on freeway and side streets for about an hour and a half with no problemo, kept my eye on voltage reading and it fluctuated between 12.4 and 14v depending on RPMs. and then parked for about two hours,got back in started it up and got message. I drove about another ten miles or 20 minutes with message still there and little red battery icon lit up and it drove fine. So I pulled into garage, shut engine off, started it right back up, cranked fine and fired up and message and little red battery light was off and voltage seemed normal again, what gives????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Assuming there are no loose connections, the alternator is failing. It's not uncommon for failing electronics to act up when hot.

Re: battery not charging

Thanks for responding. What is strange is that I was able to drive at least 25 minutes with BATTERY NOT CHARGING message and the car did not die and it started right back up when I turned it off and tried to re-start it. I thought that when the alternator is not working that the car runs off of the battery until it drains the battery power and then the car dies. Isn't that what usually happens? It didn't happen like that with mine. Any ideas about that?? Is that part of the alternator "acting up" and failing?

NORTHSTAR MAFIA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville base
    I have a 98 deville and mine done that i bought a new battery and alternator and it works fine. But when mine went bad all the "check" lights came on and it wouldn't shift into gear. If you have to change the alternator don't call shops or the dealership. Go get a new one and jack the car up and take it out from the bottom. Mine was very simple. I got to it by takeing out a plate under the alternator and takeing the bolts off from the top and you can wiggle it just enough to get it out.

Re: battery not charging

yea, I've changed alternators on this car model and it was a long, hard job I thought. LOL. It drove fine except the BATTERY NOT CHARGING came on when I started it yesterday and then turned off while driving. I then parked it in the garage overnight and came back out to start and message came back on and this time voltage was down to 11.4 but car still started. Now what caused that??? Any ideas about the low voltage reading overnight??? I'm convinced that the alt is going out like you said and I think I will have to replace it. But I will recheck all the connections. Which is best? Mechman, DB Electrical, Maniac Motors, Power Bastards, Motor City Reman?? Those are the manufacturers that make HO alts for my car. Thanks for any feedback.

ReneRuiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood brougham 1998 deville
    [QUOTE="norteno;12528505"]yea, I've changed alternators on this car model and it was a long, hard job I thought. LOL. It drove fine except the BATTERY NOT CHARGING came on when I started it yesterday and then turned off while driving. I then parked it in the garage overnight and came back out to start and message came back on and this time voltage was down to 11.4 but car still started. Now what caused that??? Any ideas about the low voltage reading overnight??? I'm convinced that the alt is going out like you said and I think I will have to replace it. But I will recheck all the connections. Which is best? Mechman, DB Electrical, Maniac Motors, Power Bastards, Motor City Reman?? Those are the manufacturers that make HO alts for my car. Thanks for any feedback.[/QUOTdaysI

hope you solved this issue, I'm going through the same exact issue, I replace alternator, starter and battery about 12 months ago, 3 days ago I change spark plugs and wires the following day the battery not charging message and icon came on, since the battery is under warranty I replace it but the battery not charging message and icon are still lighting up I've been able to drive my wife to work and pick her up these past few days the strange part is the battery not charging message and icon only come on while idling as soon as I drive off or step on gas pedal it goes off, alternator is on warranty and I fear I'll have to replace it again any tips on what you figured out are greatly appreciated Rene.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.