Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Baffling AC/Electrical problem in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My car is a 99 DeVille D'Elegance. We have been struggling with the AC for months. It now has a ...
- 08-14-13 07:01 PM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'elegance
- Join Date
- Aug 2012
- Newton, Kansas
Baffling AC/Electrical problem
My car is a 99 DeVille D'Elegance.
We have been struggling with the AC for months. It now has a new compressor (and needed it), new sensors, new other stuff. I suspect there's still a bit of old debris clinging to a sensor every now and then but that doesn't explain all of the two remaining problems.
1) The AC apparently never shuts off. It blows through the dash when it's on, blows cold through the dash when I set it to ECON, and blows cold, gently, on my feet when I select OFF, and that isn't residual cold. It stays cold.
2) I'll be going down the road with the AC on, and the Info line will go to "AC Refrigerant Low, AC shutting off". The system then switches to ECON but, as already stated, it keeps blowing cold. When checked, refrigerant pressure will be where it should be. Shut the car down and let it sit, and later the AC will work fine on AUTO, until.... If I never put the system on AUTO to begin with, the AC will work fine, when it should be off.
Anybody have any ideas of what's wrong and how to deal with it? I suspect a short in the wiring, the fuses, or the push-button module, or a faulty control computer.
- 12-30-13 06:36 AM #2
Just an idea, but I have to suspect a faulty dash control module. (In the dash, controls the HVAC) it might be worth pulling it out and trying a junkyard part. Some junkyards will let you make sure a part like that works before you purchase it.
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- PowerTorque Tools - SAE Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
SAE Ratchet Handle & Socket Set - 14 Piece; 1/4" Drive Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
- PowerTorque Tools - Ratchet Wrench Set
Ratchet Wrench Set - 7 Piece; SAE
- PowerTorque Tools - Metric Hex Bits Set
Metric Hex Bits Set - 7 Piece; 3/8" Drive; Metric; Metric Hex Bits; Contains: 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm & 10mm